“Disappointing!”

Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
California
“Disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Booked and pre-paid a 1-bedroom suite and when we arrived were told our reservation was canceled even though we had a confirmation number & never canceled. The front desk clerk was unapologetic and contacted the manager who simply told her to give us a lesser room for the regular price. We were not offered any discount or apology & were made to feel this was our fault even though the room was paid for in advance.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank butterpip
john208, General Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear valued guest:

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 760.929.8200 x404

Hyatt House San Diego/Carlsbad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked our hotel room on Hotels.com, the hotel is perfect location for the San Diego area. About 1 block from Highway 5. So it is easy to access anywhere along the coast. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Lisa, who worked in the breakfast area was very friendly to my son and I when we slipped in a little late for breakfast one day. The front desk staff gave us some great reccomendations for food. The Housekeeping staff always greeted us in the morning. They did a good job cleaning our room, and we felt safe with our electronics etc being out, ( but we hid it anyway, dont we all )

The room had a full size fridge, microwave/convection oven, so we bought some food a grocery store and ate in the room some.

LegoLand was only 1 mile away, and the beach was the same. Very quaint community along highway 101.
I would highly reccomend this Hotel for traveling to the North San Diego area, access to anywhere along the coast.

Room Tip: There is a train that runs by the Hotel occasionally. Try to stay on the opposite side. Although it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin T
john208, General Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear valued guest:

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 760.929.8200 x404.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Modern, free WIFI, includes cooked breakfast
Free parking, which seems obvious but not all hotels seem to offer this in the USA
Close to Legoland & easy drive to SeaWorld
Pool was good for kids
Staff were great and knowledgable of the area and offered good recommendations
40 minute drive to San Diego and only 1 hours drive from Annaheim (Los Angeles)

2 Thank Graham M

Cupertino, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The room was great. Nice and comfy. The window face the highway and you can hear the traffic sound. They also provided refreshment from Monday to Thursday, such as chicken wings, soup, soft pretzel, and drinks. Breakfast was good too.

2 Thank maggie l
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here almost a full week while attending a class down the street. It was just fine for my needs. LIKED MOST: location; kitchenette with full-sized fridge, microwave, small cooktop; large bathroom with sink in separate area; windows that really blocked out any exterior noise; desk with good task lighting; big sofa that could sleep another person; breakfast variety; social hour snacks were sufficient as supper (see Wannabefolkie's review for accurate description of this & breakfast); BBQ grills outside by pool for guest use; shuttle service; available laundry facility; available food items for purchase in lobby; small business center where I could print out airline boarding passes. And husband was granted late check-out on our last day, which was appreciated. LIKED LEAST: a.c. blowing in your face if in bed; complex programmable a.c. thermostat; vanity stool in front of sink. This heavy piece of useless furniture was the source of my difficulties -- since it blocked access to the sink, it had to be moved. The people in the room above me were fond of midnight furniture moving and what sounded like clogging in wooden shoes on the tile floor in the vanity/sink area. As Wannabefolkie says, the noise is not the hotel's fault, but it could be solved by removing ALL the stools from in front of the sinks. (we stashed ours by the sofa and left it there for the week.) Petty, yes, but tough to take for hours when I needed to be fresh for an 8-hour class M-F. A call to the front desk in the wee hours of the night partially fixed the noise for a while.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
a city by a lake, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Carlsbad Hyatt House at the end of August for our five-day trip to Legoland. It had everything we needed as a family of four. We would stay here again!

SERVICE: We called the hotel while waiting for the Coaster train in downtown San Diego. We asked if the hotel shuttle could pick us up at the Carlsbad Coaster station and we were told to disembark at the Carlsbad Pointsettia Station and give them a call when we arrived. We called upon arrival and the shuttle picked us up within 10 minutes. We used the hotel shuttle to Legoland everyday. We never waited more than 10 minutes to be taken to or picked up from Legoland. When we checked out we asked to be taken to the Coaster station. The driver asked if we had a chance to visit the beach which we hadn't. He took us on a scenic drive up to the Carlsbad Village Station. I would recommend the shuttle service even if you have a car so you don't have to worry about parking. We tipped each way and hope others will, too!

VALUE: We usually search high-and-low for discounted rates, and this time we just booked on Hyatt's site because the rate looked reasonable considering there is a complimentary breakfast buffet everyday, and a complimentary social hour Mon-Fri. In this way we also got our Hyatt rewards points (only our second stay at a Hyatt brand). The breakfast had a good variety including hot foods, cold cereals, fruit, yogurt, breads, juices, milk, coffee, tea...have I left out anything? The social hour offered appetizers that were plenty good as dinners. It also offers beer, red/white wines, juices, lemonade, and pop. We saved lots of $$ on breakfast and dinner.

SLEEP QUALITY/ROOM: The bedding itself made for great sleep quality. A few times I heard loud noises presumably from neighboring rooms. I'm a light sleeper so this affected me, but I can't blame other guests' noises on the hotel (just as I can't blame unruly kids on the hotel). Still, this shows that the walls are thin, so that is something I would change about the hotel.

CLEANLINESS: The hotel was clean as far as I can. No complaints here.

LOCATION: Great location for a trip to Legoland! I've read complaints from business travelers about kids running up-and-down the halls. I didn't notice that during our trip and I'm sure it can vary from week-to-week. I think knowing that it's a great location for Legoland should put things in perspective. It's also a great location if you want to walk to Legoland which is on the other side of I-5 and probably one mile away. We are not accustomed to the Southern California heat so we never walked it. It could be an option for others.

OVERALL: Traveling as a family, I knew what to expect from a hotel that many other families may stay at during a trip to Legoland. If I traveled for business, I may still stay here because of the good value and would take into consideration the possibility of noise.

Room Tip: Believe it or not, the eastside rooms facing I-5 are probably quieter than the westside ones because...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank wannabefolkie
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family travelled last year and stayed at this same location, although it was called Hyatt Summerfield Inn & Suites in 2011. The name has changed, and frankly the price dropped [2011 our four days was over $900, in 2012 it was over $600], so something significant happened. We returned this year due to the wonderful comfort we experienced last year. This place has a complete kitchenette and the hide-a-bed ‘L’ shaped sectional fits our three young daughters, this year ages 4 ½, 6 + 7, perfectly, so finding a place that accommodates us with so much comfort and convenience is truly appreciated. The issues we encountered this year started upon our arrival at check in when our ‘reserved ground floor’ room was not available and we were placed on the 2nd floor. My husband more than I was very displeased, so the check in clerk told us a ground floor room was becoming available for the remainder of our stay [three more nights], and we agreed to be moved the next day. Within an hour of being in our 2nd floor room, we hear a loud noise in the bathroom…which on one had visited yet, and go to find the towel rack laying on the floor. For our first night, we brought some food to make dinner ‘in’ to avoid the lines at the restaurants keeping our girls up until after 9p. After dinner, I was cleaning the kitchen and opened the dishwasher to load it…it was not attached to the cabinet top…the entire unit basically fell forward on its face. So, we washed the dishes by hand. I did go down to tell the night shift desk clerk [name “Sherine”?] about the status of that 2nd floor room—remember the towel rack on the floor? And the dishwasher on its face? And she was properly concerned, staying, ‘well that’s not actually YOUR room is it? YOUR room is downstairs and we’ll get that straightened out tomorrow.” She said she would be leaving a note for the next shift, but also encouraged me to seek out the manager [Lynn] personally….” She did not verbally explain, but I got the impression that her written notes would be ignored and if we wanted to be ‘heard’ we would need to speak to the manager directly. The next morning we got through the annoyance of having to re-pack [have you ever travelled with children? Their toiletries and what not?] and loaded our stuff onto a luggage trolly and took it down to be secured pending the house cleaning/check out for the down stairs room to be available, and were met with puzzled expression and confusion as to why we were handing off our luggage, and what ground floor room? As I had intuited from the night shift clerk, the next shift paid no attention to any notes/de-briefing from the previous shift and had no idea we were preparing for this transition. Ultimately, when prompted they did look up the notes in whatever their system is, and did follow thru. Also we did try to speak to the manager [Lynn] as suggested by the night shift clerk, but was told ‘the manager is driving the shuttle’…so I tried to tell the info regarding that upstairs room to the day shift clerk [“Tiffany”?] …due to, were they just going to move someone else in there with towel rack on the floor? And the dishwasher on its face? And she was just puzzled. We were leaving for the day for LegoLand and I truly feel we had done enough, so I left here there with her deer in the headlight stare. That first night in our ground floor room, we were feeling pretty comfortable until bath time for the girls = no hot water. Labor Day weekend and no hot water? My husband called down and asked and was told ‘there is no hot water ‘for now’. The next morning, still no hot water…that is when were told it was out/broken and would not/could not (?] be repaired until Tuesday---after the Labor Day holiday. Seriously!? Ultimately, as luck would have it, another guest at the hotel happened to be plummer [licensed? Bonded? Insured? Who knows!!] And he was able to jerry-rig a part from the kitchen [heating element?] and use it for the water heater… so, there was hot water for the remaining days. But no offer of any explanation, now courtesy, no nothing. And when we got our check out statement, no discount or any mention of the inconvenience. So, yes, I PAID FULL PRICE for the entire weekend, and now I’m providing this FULL accounting of our experience. BEWARE...choose this Hyatt House at your own risk.

Room Tip: BEWARE...choose this Hyatt House at your own risk, but if you must choose this location, get a groun...
5 Thank AZScubaFan
Summerfield1, Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, October 11, 2012