“Will Return”

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
La Mirada
“Will Return”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Nice place to stay. Area near shopping outlets and restuarants. Room was clean and big enough for a family of 4. Free internet service and parking a plus. Complimentary breakfast was included in our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rnsmpq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Vancouver
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We loved the room, the excellence of service - each and every staff member went out of their ways to be of service. The downside is due to its proximity to attractions (Legoland) the hotel is more of a family hotel and most of the time like a zoo, cranky kids all over the place, no chance of quiet around the pool and elsewhere.If you are in search of a tranquil location stay away from this place.

Room Tip: top floor if you don't want trampling from kids above you and away from the highway.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeeVancouver
edmonton
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed 2 days At this hotel over spring break. We have a 2 queen room the first night and enjoyed the room. It was very nice with lots of space and a full kitchen. We had to change rooms the next day to. King suite and that is when our trouble began. The room was nice but when the pull out couch was used there was very little space to move around. We called down in the morning to see if we could avoid switching rooms. Drew at the front desk told us that we were booked in the same for the following night but I told him our room was prepaid and he said he would call back but never did. My husband then approached the front desk to get an answer and we were told we had to move and thet they would transfer our suitcases over when the room is ready. 5 hours later our suitcase were still sitting in the old room. Someone had taken the tip and left them there unattended. My husband went to get then himself and complained to management who didn't care. The pool that evening was closed as someone pooped in it. Breakfast closed down before 930 leaving quite a few guests frustrated. My favorite through was when we were awoken in the morning with another guest entering our room! The front desk had given our room key away to a new guest! We were unquestionably upset and unimpressed with the complete lack of security at this location. I have 2 little kids and who know who had access to our luggage and Room. I will never stay here again!

Room Tip: If there are more than 2 people there is no space to move in king room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank kettleking
Vista, California
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Called Hyatt House - not Summerfield Suites anymore. A hotel room here that sleeps "4" is about 1/3 (yes, 1/3) the size of a normal hotel room. My husband booked us here through hotels.com, we have a king size bed, and our adult son is sleeping on the sofa bed. When the sofa bed is open, you can't walk between the bed and the sofa bed. There is about three feet between one side of the king bed to the bathroom, the other side about 2 feet. However, there is about 3 feet to the toilet paper, when you are sitting on the toilet. It is ridiculous to think hotels.com OR the Hyatt House would advertise this as acceptable for three or more adults. This room is so small it should be advertised as absolute maximum 2 adults--and then it is still ridiculously small. There is no fan in the bathroom, there is no window that opens and the air conditioner keeps resetting itself to about 80 degrees. The train runs parallel to the hotel across the street. Expect train horns. Hotels.com would do nothing, the room had to be prepaid, no refunds, the hotel won't move us to another room. No one would do anything.

Room Tip: Even if you are by yourself, book a 1 bedroom. Crawling with kids going to Legoland. It is 6:49 am...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Judyscastle
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

As a long time Hyatt passport member, it is always a plus to make reservation even on a last minute notice with excellent service. Checked in after midnight and still received a very nice upgrade.

Front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. Nice well-kept lobby, bfast nook, and everything else. Housekeeping was very prompt too.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank May C
Summerfield1, General Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at our property. We are pleased to know that you received exceptional customer service. No matter what time, or day of the week you are staying at our property we will always provide the finest customer service to each and every one of our guests. Thank you for being a loyal Hyatt gold passport member and staying with us. We hope to see you soon!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My lovely wife and two kiddos, 11F & 8M, decided to take a quick trip to SoCal for a weekend at Legoland and Knotts Berry Farm. Based on the order of events, this was the best place for us to crash.

The staff was wonderful. The room was comfortable and clean. The kitchen was more complete than I was expecting. We decided to eat out the whole trip, but we could have done well eating in.

Even thought it was only 65F outside, my kids still enjoyed the pool. I think the locals must have thought we were nuts, but it hasn't been that warm in Oregon for several months now. The pool was lovely.

The breakfast is reasonable and somewhat typical of what you would find in an extended stay hotel. Not the best I've ever had, but definitely not the worst by any means.

We did take advantage of a free ride to Legoland and back. That saved us $15 in parking.

The staff was very helpful at every step of the way. The property owners should be very proud of their staff. They must be treating them right.

There is a commuter rail line across the street. At first, we could hear it and it was a little annoying. Maybe we were so stinkin' tired or we just got used to it, but we didn't hear it after a short while.

I would stay there again if the location made sense.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jackjfoley
Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our property and find it to be a good basecamp for you and your family. We are happy you enjoyed the hotel amenities, including our complimentary hotel shuttle to Legoland. We strive to provide excellent customer service and I’m happy to hear that we were able to meet your customer service needs and expectations. Our staff works hard and we appreciate each and everyone of them. Thank you for your kind review, we hope you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I booked for a 2 night stay to take my son to Legoland. We were quite impressed when we checked in as the staff were helpful and polite. That pretty much ends the good experience.

I woke up the next morning with every traveler's nightmare - bed bug bites on my neck, body and feet. I spoke to front desk and they had their GM to handle the matter. I showed him the bites on my neck area... he called them bumps when they were clearly bites. He kept insisting that their mattresses were new and it was not possible that there were bed bugs and that the room was recently inspected... hello, the evidence was standing right infront of him. He however said that he would send housekeeping to strip the covers and the sheets, replace with clean ones to ensure there were no bugs.

That evening when we got back, which was approximately 8 pm, the GM told me that they had stripped the sheets even the headboard and insisted they found nothing. I requested to move to a new room but he told me they were "fully booked" and had suggested moving me to another hotel - he saw my husband holding my son who was fast asleep - hmmmmm - basically trying to dismiss the issue. I woke up the next morning with fresh bites on the back of my knee and feet.

So much for a clean room and thank goodness we checked out!! The GM left me a voice message when we had already checked out still insisting the room was bug free. I returned the call and left a message that I had fresh bites despite the"cleaning". As disgusting as this may sound, I was scratching the entire trip back home.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank FatDucks
Summerfield1, General Manager at HYATT house San Diego/Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear valued guest:

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. During your stay we had our Eco Lab represenative do a full evaluation of your room, and found no trace of bed bugs. We would be happy to provide you with a copy of the full evaluation.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 760.929.8200 x404

Hyatt House San Diego/Carlsbad