“Clean, friendly staff”

Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Okinawa, Japan
“Clean, friendly staff”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Everything you would expect from a Marriott. Pool and hot tub were relaxing. Lots of outdoor seating in sun and shade. Hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. Nothing within walking distance, but lots nearby.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
LHPUSAviaOki,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that we met your expectations and that you were able to enjoy our great Carlsbad weather! Our outdoor seating definitely provides some great options to relax and recharge. It is true that most restaurants and shopping are just a short drive, but that also contributes to our tranquil environment. Thank you for pointing that out!

Most of all, thank you for the kind words about our staff. They truly are very friendly and we appreciate you pointing that out.

Safe travels!

Respectfully,

Trent Selbrede

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Love the location of this hotel, very quiet and professional. Nice clean lobby, excellent rooms. Extremely friendly and professional customer service. My experience was phenomenal!

Oh and the free cookies.. (:

Definitely recommend staying at this fine establishment to anyone out there.

• Stayed June 2014
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Cody G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay!I am pleased that you enjoyed the location, lobby, and rooms. The cookies are delicious treats. We are glad that you liked them!

Most of all, thank you for pointing out the friendly and professional service. Having a phenomenal experience and recommending us to others is a great compliment. I will definitely share your comments with our staff. Thank you for that!

Safe Travels,

Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Courtyard overnight when visiting Carlsbad for a job interview. On the outside, the hotel is very well-kept. Clean & bright. The lobby was spotless & inviting as well. I was greeted with a cookie & prompt & fast service (always appreciated after being on a plane for 3 hours & jet-lagged by 2 hours!) I was even given a coupon for a free breakfast from the "Bistro" located on the other side of the lobby. They have a BEAUTIFUL sitting area with a fireplace, large screen television & Satellite TV. Oh yeah....this is still in the LOBBY. My room was very clean overall & I was lucky enough to have a balcony room with a view & since it's Carlsbad, the sunset was gorgeous. Back to the room. If I HAD to nitpick, there was hair on my shower wall, my toilet seat & a long hair on my coffee table in the sitting area. I would advise making sure there wasn't any hair in the room, as it can make the guest wary of anymore hairs lurking in the room. But again....for me, it wasn't a deal-breaker. Also, I had to go back to the lobby & ask for menus for local food spots & the bistro. At the very least, I would suggest menus to the in-house restaurant available upon check-in. I will definitely recommend the Courtyard to my friends & family & I look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room on a higher floor so you can see over the trees & soak in some sun!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
David D,

Thank you for the review. I hope the job interview went well and we will be seeing you back again soon for orientation! It is great that you found the hotel in great condition and we were prompt in getting you checked in with a fresh cookie! The balcony rooms definitely are a nice plus with our near perfect San Diego weather. They lobby is a great place to hang out with the Bistro, TVs, and fireplace.

Thank you for the feedback on housekeeping and the menus. We will definitely share this with our staff and make necessary adjustments.

Thank you for your recommendations to friends and family. It is one thing for you to enjoy your stay and another to share your experience with others. That is awesome!

Safe travels,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Flew in from Chicago and checked into the Courtyard. The next day, drive to a meeting when the Poinsettia Fire hits. Called the front desk and spoke to Crawford, who assured me not to worry - my belongings would be secure should the hotel was evacuated.

When the fire got too close, sure enough, the hotel staff packed me up and drove my possessions to a neighboring hotel. MacBook, iPad, checkbook, receipts - everything was accounted for... even my dress socks! Fantastic job by the Courtyard to take care of a customer during a strenuous situation.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Rafal T
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and recognizing the Top Notch Customer Service exemplified by our team during the Poinsettia Fires. It is hard to find words to express how proud I am of our staff, like Crawford, for stepping up during this event. We pride ourselves in hospitality and during unique situations I am glad that our service stands out. I will definitely rely your message on to the team.

We look forward to your next stay in Carlsbad.

Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I frequently travel for business and will typically stay at a Marriott property. Courtyards by Marriott are not typically in my top 3 within the Marriott organization (for a variety of reasons). This one caught me by surprise, though. The property was in very good shape, the employees were knowledgeable and polite and the rooms were clean. This has the be, by far, the best Courtyard I've ever stayed at. Reasonable prices, too!

Room Tip: Park near the closest exit to your room (there are several, all motel key operated).
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Craig S
As a senior contributor I can tell you have a unique eye for detail. I am pleased you found our Courtyard in Carlsbad to be a pleasant surprise. Our team prides ourselves in providing exceptional customer service and we appreciate your recognition as the best by far. If you are planning to visit SeaWorld or Legoland our property is a convenient location for both and many other fine Southern California attractions. We look forward to your next stay in Carlsbad!

Thanks again!

Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad. The hotel smells new and clean and the front desk staff are exceptionally nice and friendly. Very close to Legoland, if that is your thing, but pretty close to most things in North San Diego County, including the beach, shopping, restaurants and sightseeing. The rooms are nicely appointed; perhaps the only negative would be there is just on small countertop and sink, so if there is more than one person it's a pretty small area. The outdoor pool is nice and we saw plenty of people using the fitness equipment.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank laurenjo
Geoff W, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear laurenjo,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I too enjoy the modern look of the Courtyard properties. As you mentioned we are close to Legoland, but Carlsbad has much more to offer than Legoland. i love to hear our guests compliment our staff, you guys are the reason we're here and we pride ourselves on our hospitality.

We hope the next time you are visiting Carlsbad you will come back and stay with us again.

Cheers,

Geoff Waddell
Assistant General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I hadn't stayed at a courtyard before, but had assumed it to be a 3* lower end hotel. This was was very recently renovated, really nice, people were nice, rooms were nice and clean and relatively large, and price was good - great deal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank kcharlotte
Dear kcharlotte,

I am glad you were pleasantly surprised. I really like the Courtyard brand too. Marriott tries to have a brand for every traveler, and it sounds like you may have found yours. As a senior reviewer I'm sure you have an eye for detail, and you are correct we were recently renovated.

Next time you're heading down from LA please come visit us again.

Geoff Waddell