“Overrated Poor Housekeeping”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Over rated Hotel, we went there for our 15th anniversary as a treat to ourselves. We were very excited and had high expectations. We checked in and were sent to a “romantic room” in the farthest corner of the hotel only to discover that the property was undergoing construction, and our room was directly underneath the construction area. When we called they moved us to the opposite section of the hotel. Once there we suspect that there may be a semi strike going on by the housekeeping staff because the room cleaning was poor. Our bathtub was not cleaned (I cleaned it myself) and we had to request a new bottle of body soap because the one in our room was already opened and used. As we drove around the outside of the property we saw several people standing at the entrance holding on strike signs. On a positive side the service at the pool was excellent and most of the staff were friendly and eager to please. I doubt that we will be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Atulloch
Write a ReviewReviews (2,017)

Reviewed September 22, 2006

This hotel is simply amazing from the decor to the service!! They made my children feel welcomed with warm chocolate chip cookies and milk at bed time and terry cloth robes in the morning for their baths. Great service at the pool as well, was greeted with warm towels, lemon ice water and magazines. I can't say enough about this place. My children can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank susieq35
Reviewed September 19, 2006

I was to ask a Security guard to assist me and he refused to even acknowledge my request without even hearing. He was rude, presumptious after I called him on phone to ask him to unlock a gate that wrongfully locked up too early. I asked him politely since i never was at the hotle to please assist me and he instead became hostile, like I worked there and knew the rules and made threats if I asked him again and called police for no reason but to harass people.

He is an untrained security guard that must learn the rules...of how to treat people that come into a business and work in the same industry and performance/events for over 20 years.

The management allowed Employees to go to hotel rooms with guests that the Employee just met and stay the night....bad management. Hotel and Affiliate Hotel businesses have NO business allowing any employee of ANY service to be interacting with the hotel guests...it is the NUMBER ONE EMPLOYEE RULE TO NOT VIOLATE....and is a termination rule in most hotels.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank nikovalentino
Reviewed September 12, 2006

This hotel is exceptional. From the moment you walk in the door you are treated well. If you have children, you will be amazed about how well they are welcomed and catered to at the resort . Everyone on staff is extremely positive and responsive. The rooms are beautiful. The family pool and the adult pool are great. The concierge can arrange anything for you and will recommend great activites and restaurants. My nine year old went on surfing lessons organized through the hotel and had a wonderful time. The childcare is good and well organized. The food was quite good . There were great musicians in the lobby bar. The atmosphere in the hotel brings out the best in the guests. This is well worth the expense and is a great experience. I highly recommend it for couples and families.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank TorontoMary
Reviewed August 28, 2006

We stayed at the Summit residence (cheaper than hotel) for 3 nights. The room and resort amenities are really first class. We were reluctant to leave the resort as the golf course, gym, pool and tennis facilities were so good. The rooms are expensive, but additional costs, including food and drinks are not unreasonable. The resort is not in the most exciting area, but it is easy to drive to San Diego Zoo etc. Strongly recommended.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank TomDulwich
Reviewed August 25, 2006

I have stayed at the Four Seasons Aviara 3 times since Feb 06 and each stay has been great, though there have been some problems. My first stay was perfect in every way. We were upgraded to an enormous sweet with a fabulous view, 2 bathrooms, and a large pantry with a refrigerator. There were all kinds of gifts left for my 2 year old daughter and 10 year old sister- stuffed animal frogs, sponges spelling their names, toiletries for them etc. We had such a great time we went back a month later. Unfortunately we spent $850 a night for a room that was nice but not special. When I asked about an upgrade I was treated very cooly and reminded that I was using the Amex Platinum package. I have had this happen a few times at hotels when I book the package- made to feel like I am a second class guest. I had a terribly noisy massage and stopped it in the middle and the spa would only discount the treatment 50%. Also on my second and third visits I had to ask for the children's amenities.

There is a great shallow pool for children but the staff picks all the chaise cushions up very early and it felt like they were kicking us out. Still, it's a great pool.

The restaurant gets boring after one meal. The food isn't up to the standards of other Four Seasons. I actually ended up ordering off the children's menu for myself. Having stayed there 3 nights in a row and not wanting to go out with a 2 year old child- the food got REALLY boring.

Whatever you do don't do the Villa time share tour in exchange for $150 off your bill. We did it and the hotel sold my name and address to a mailing list and now I am inundated with mail for time shares.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Weegee
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We origionally planned on staying at La Costa but checked out after the first night and booked into a suite at the Four Seasons. Everything was first class, great for our children ages 2 & 11 and great for adults. I must admit I am not a fan of Carlsbad or the San Diego area but if I must stay there again the Four Seasons Aviara will be the location.

Golf course is fantastic as is the fitness center. Pool is fine nothing special to note.

If comparing Four Seasons to Ritz for service, accomidations and child friendly both are comparable so choose based on your ideal location.

Limited dining at the hotel but plenty of great spots within 20 minutes.

If you have Amex platimum book through them for the upgrades, breakfast credit and lunch credit.

4  Thank yreme