“Business Meeting/ Extended Stay”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Loved the grounds of this resort. I came to participate in a group meeting with my company and decided to stay for a few days to enjoy CA. The staff was helpful and attentive, the food was great and the meetings rooms were appropriate to our needs. The adult pool area was divine and I loved (and admittedly was a little surprised) to hearing music playing when I went underwater.
The only issue that I had with our stay was the gnats in our room. We were in a suite and the gnats were in the bathroom, closet and bedroom. When I called down on the first night, I was told a manager would be notified and would call me back after it was looked into. I didn't receive a call back, so I called back again the second day and was told that maintenance would take a look. On the third day, I went to the front desk to ask if the room had been treated, as they were very present in the room. The front desk asked if I had the balcony doors open...(?). I responded by saying no, as the initial part of the trip was for business travel. (Even if I had, does that negate the fact that the gnats were in the room?)
By the fourth day, I decided to spend as much time outside of the room as possible so that I didn't have to deal with it. I also mentioned that the gnat problem has not been addressed as I was checking out, however, not much care was given to the issue not being addressed.

Outside of that, the resort was great. I will definitely come back, but would request/demand a room change if the insect problem presented itself again.

Room Tip: High rooms have a spectacular view. Rooms in the middle of the property have to hike to the elevato...
1  Thank Shelle06
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review and feedback. We are happy that you had the opportunity to stay a few extra days for leisure. The underwater sound system in our Adult Pool is always fun surprise! In regards to your room concern, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. You are absolutely correct, and there is no excuse that your concern was not handled more promptly. We are better than that, and we look forward to welcoming you back to exceed your expectations on every level. Please don't hesitate to contact us for any future arrangements, as it would be a complete pleasure to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This place is coasting on the reputation of the previous owner, The Four Seasons. The building and grounds look like a Four Seasons but the staff is more like a low end Hilton or Holiday Inn..No polish, no style, just bad. Most act like they are scared to death of breaking some rule.

The bar and restaurant staff are much more concerned with accounting than taking care of their guests. Nothing seems to work; TV, remote, coffee maker. This is a really expensive nightmare.
The whole place reeks of being run by an accountant not a hospitality pro.

I am here to make three presentations to a conference. When I arrived for my first, the hotel staff had set up a table on the stage where I was suppose stand to make my presentation. The staff told me it was there for a panel discussion that was to happen right after mine. They expected me to stand behind the table while I spoke. I had to move the table and chairs out of the way myself as I was being introduced.and, put them back when I was done..I am not making any of this up!
The staff is that bad!

None of the furnishings look like they fit the building. Everything has that cheap, not quite right look. I have to assume the Four Seasons took all the high end stuff with them when they left.

The food in the main dining room is represented and priced as fresh. My fish was definitely frozen. Stringy and dry

Every person in our group is ready to move to a new location. If I had to pay for this myself, I would lose it.

This is a below average hotel with crazy high prices. Avoid this one at all costs.

Room Tip: don't get a room here
6  Thank sjmacdee
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Individually, we were truly impressed by every one of the employees with whom we interacted. Unfortunately, there were problems with overly-salted in dining food, the cable channels, and a movie we ordered. The problems were dealt with satisfactorily, but we were still disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that the staff made a genuine connection with you during your stay and handled your concerns promptly. Your feedback is much appreciated, and it has been shared with the team so that we may best prepare for future stays. We would love to exceed your expectations and welcome you back for another visit or to experience our weekly Art of Entertainment series in our Lobby Lounge. Please feel free to contact our team at any time, as it would be a pleasure to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

The nicest part of this resort are the valets that park your car. If they try and give you a room on the first floor throw a fit, go crazy, do what ever you have to do to get a room on a higher floor with a view unless dungeons are your thing. I was here on business and was excited because I love Carslbad, but choose another place to stay. They are under staffed everywhere, the food is just edible but the rooms are sure to disappoint.

Room Tip: Hi up and with an ocean view or you'll be intensely disappointed
1  Thank mikey3600

Thank you for your kind comments about our valet staff. It is great to hear that they made a genuine impression on you during your stay. If you have future travel plans, please feel free to reach out. It would be our pleasure to assist with arrangements in one of our Panoramic rooms overlooking the ocean and Batiquitos Lagoon Wildlife Sanctuary. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed here while our family was visiting Legoland and the Wild Safari Kingdom. I believe this used to be Four Seasons. Nice landscaping. They have 2 large pools. One for family and the other for adults only, plus a small hot tub. The water is heated. So, that was nice.

I enjoyed a good workout at the fitness center while I was there.

The kids enjoyed the game room that was complementary. The room had a couple of pool tables, air hockey, and a couple of video games.

Parking is valet only. So, it takes time to get your car.

Overall, we were happy with the place and service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Your review is much appreciated. It sounds like you had an opportunity to enjoy quality time with your family at a few of San Diego's great attractions, too. We are grateful that we had the chance to share a part of this memorable trip and learn that the kids had fun at the pools and the game room. If we may be of any future assistance with travel arrangements, please don't hesitate to reach out. It would be wonderful to welcome you all back very soon!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have stayed all over the world and have never experienced customer service as impeccable as I received at the Aviara. The room, view, food, hotel entertainment, ammenities, shops were all perfect. A weekend was not long enough to enjoy this place. Extremely comfortable bed, wonderful tub and shower. The bathroom was huge. The gym was the largest I have ever seen at a hotel or resort. Pools were beautiful and the ocean is just a stone's throw from the hotel. The valet was service was wonderful even offering bottled water for the road. I can't say enough good things about this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are grateful for your glowing review, and it is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed the property and that the staff made a memorable connection with you during stay. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, so please do not hesitate to reach out if we may be of any future assistance. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Great rooms and very comfortable. Ample in space and storage. Very comfortable beds. Shower however leaks and the coffee expresso machine makes awful coffee that is lukewarm. There are no restaurants or shops or attractions to walk to. The cab any place starts at $22.00 plus tip. Beautiful context and setting. The food for my conference has been excellent. Lunch, continental breakfast and appetizers. However service at the restaurants is very slow especially at breakfast to order from the menu. All parking is valet including some visitors we had. I would not comeback without a car. And the pool closes too early and opens too-late. Gym is good.

• Stayed: March 2014
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed dining during your conference, and your feedback is much appreciated. If we may ever assist with a return visit on leisure, please don't hesitate to reach out. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back!