“Lovely Afternoon Tea....Again!”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We enjoyed our Afternoon Tea so much for my birthday earlier in the summer, we went back again two months later "just because." It was just as fabulous as the first time. We had a nice table for two with a great view of the ocean and enjoyed the tunes of a very talented pianist playing in the nook. We had the same server as before, who remembered us! She is so sweet and attentive. The food was as fabulous as before. Not much else I can say that I didn't say in my first review except this place wins high marks for consistency. We'll be back, again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience and that our pianist and staff made a genuine connection with you. We would love to welcome you this December, as we will be hosting our Teddy Bear Tea and our Traditional Tea will be inspired by the holidays. The lobby decorations are absolutely beautiful. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,018)

Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Aviara Resort in September this year. I have to say, we were very pleased. It was kind of off-season, so few kids around.

The verdict:
+ Well maintained property
+ Courteous management team
+ Room upgrade to a suite on an award stay
+ Close to San Diego (30 mins drive)
+ Quiet premises
+ Great gym!!

- Not much selection on TV set
- Food expensive
- Valet parking expensive (USD 30), there should be an offer for self-parking

Overall: Recommended for relaxed San Diego area stay

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

It was a pleasure having you! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you and your wife had the opportunity to completely relax. Your kind comments about our location, rooms, and 24-hour fitness center are much appreciated. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist with a return visit. We would love to welcome you both back soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Booked to spend a week here with the family to visit Southern California attractions. Got a really good deal on the rates and having never visited Carlsbad before didn't know what to expect. WOW !!! This resort is amazing, the staff are the most helpful I have ever encountered and the hotel itself is beautiful. The buffet breakfast is one of the best I've ever had and is well worth the $26. Valet parking is very expensive at $35 per day and the resort fee is also expensive at $26 per day. However these fees are worth every cent when one considers the quality and service of the resort. Can't wait to return !!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Craig G

We can't wait to welcome you back, Craig! Thank you for your kind review. We are happy that we had the opportunity to welcome you and your family to Carlsbad, and it is great to know that the staff exceeded your expectations. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist with a future visit. We would love to see you all again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'll be honest. I've never been a Hyatt devotee. But my stay at this property changed me. I was staying for business, and was only there for a night, but sometimes you don't need a long courtship to fall in love.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and very quick to respond to any request. The room and view was oh so lovely and the grandness of the property made me feel like a queen. Even the folks in AV who we worked with an the meeting folks were so very responsive. The catering was top notch too.

I loved the fitness center too. Had everything that I needed.

Guess who's a loyal Hyatt customer now. This girl!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

We are honored that we could instill your enthusiasm for Hyatt. Thank you for your kind review. If we can be of any assistance with a return visit, please don't hesitate to reach out. We would love to welcome you back for a leisure visit and see you again soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

First of all, the Park Hyatt Aviara does not have the contemporary look that defines the Park Hyatt brand. It used to be a Four Seasons and that is why it has the classical (and thus a little old school) feel. In fact the Residences next door are still managed by Four Seasons. The lobby is grand and beautifully maintained with shiny marble floor. The grand windows reveal carefully manicured palm court yard, and if you are lucky enough a little bit of ocean. The resort sits on the top of a hill several miles from the ocean so don't expect anything like an ocean front resort.

We stayed three nights in a Panoramic View room which measures about 500 square feet. The view is not bad, and even though I did not expect ocean view, I could actually get a glimpse of the ocean which is pretty far away. The décor is pretty, well, Four Seasons like. The bed is very comfortable. The only wish I had was if the carpet could be a little softer. The bathroom carries the same classical look and even though still well maintained it is a little dated. While there is nothing extraordinary about the room, which sets this Park Hyatt apart is the excellent service. Every time I got into the car, I would be offered a bottle of water and directions without asking. The first night when I valeted my car, I forgot my cellphone in the car. A call down to the front desk got my cellphone sent to the room within 20 minutes. The staff did not knocked on my door since I had the do not disturb sign out; instead I got a phone call from the front desk saying someone was outside my room to deliver my phone. One day, my kid broke a tall glass valse in the lobby before I could stop him. The only thing the staff asked was whether he was all right. Overall they almost got every little thing right. The housekeeping did not refresh the lotion when it was low – it was not a big deal though.

The resort has two pools. The adult-only pool has a great view of the Batiquitos Lagoon and the small mountains near by, and of course a little bit of ocean in a distance. The breakfast buffet at the California Bistro was of good quality and variety. We also dined at the Argyle Steakhouse one night – while it was pretty good overall nothing stood out.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful review. The stories about the little things that impressed you during your stay are much appreciated, and we are so happy to hear that the valet and front desk staff exceeded your expectations. Please let us know if we can ever assist with a return visit. It would be an absolute pleasure to see you and your family again soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Aviara for 3 nights whilst attending a conference at the hotel.

The service throughout my entire stay was excellent, from efficient check in, to a very quick early morning visit from the maintennace department to get my shower working (when I was just being a bit weak!) and the friendly staff in and around the hotel.

My room was huge, as was the bathroom and immacutaley clean. The bed was extremely comfortable.

Lunch at the pool bar was a great escape from the conference. Beautiful views and the food much better than i would have expected for a pool bar.

Although I only have good things to say about the hotel, I haven't given it a 5 star rating as it simply didn't wow me and I didn't feel that a hotel I entitled as "nice" justified anymore than a 4 star rating.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for your kind review, Jim. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff exceeded your expectations. Your wonderful comments are much appreciated. We also welcome your feedback about previous resort experiences that have absolutely wowed you. Please feel free to contact the Executive Offices at any time. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed just one night but could see that it was a classy place. Excellent grounds, pools, big room, staff attentive. Rather expensive but you got what you paid for. Breakfast buffet was amazing. Good views, nice bar, good bed & TV. Spacious bathroom tho got among lowest priced room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

We greatly appreciate your kind feedback, David, and love hearing that you enjoyed the buffet at California Bistro - we agree that it is a fantastic way to start the day! Feel free to reach out if we can be of any assistance with a return visit. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back for an extended stay.