“ROMANTIC” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“ROMANTIC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beautiful and romantic, friendly staff, everything that you deserve from this first class hotel. Only 1 night stay but in true resort fashion we shopped and dined then drinks later. Fabulous sitting on our balcony sipping on cocktails with the California sunset as the backdrop. Will make this trek every year

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
It brings us great joy to hear that you had a beautiful stay. Those California sunsets are truly one-of-a-kind, and we are so happy that you were able relax and enjoy the view from the comfort of your room. Please let us know when you are planning for your trip next year, as we would love to assist with arrangements. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Park Hyatt Aviara Resort is a beautiful hotel on a gorgeous property. I spent 9 days there so I had good opportunity to experience everything the hotel has to offer. The breakfast buffet is a standout so don't miss out. There are 2 pools, one for families with kids and the other, called the Tranquility pool, is for those who want peace and quiet - great idea! The hotel is near but not on the water. The service was excellent but I have to add that the hotel was very quiet the week I was there. If you have a car, you must use the valet which is $30.00 a day. When you make your reservations make sure you are aware of all additional charges like "resort" fees. The hotel is a little out of the way but worth the extra drive. The Hotel was a Four Seasons. It was taken over by the Hyatt and they are trying hard to keep up to that standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the sunny side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful visit, Corrine. Your kind comments are greatly valued, as we had the opportunity to share so much of what Aviara has to offer over your nine day stay. We will certainly pass the word along to the team at CA Bistro that you enjoyed the buffet, and we appreciate your thoughtful remarks about the property and the pool. If we can be of any assistance with future reservations, please feel free to contact anyone on our team. We would love to welcome you back!
Laguna Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Don't be fooled by this property. I had struck a great deal through my Interval World Exchange having 7-nights for approximately $1,000 (This was a savings of about $2,800 off the website for this property). I am a world-class traveler averaging approximately 50 nights per year in premier luxury resorts. Check-in was smooth and Anthony at the front desk upgraded us to a panoramic view room which was great. Sadly, there is a mandatory $30 valet parking charge nightly. This service is worth it, but after watching some guests not tip, expect to hear snarky comments and inappropriate comments as you wait for your "up." On 3 occasions, I found housekeeping in my suite without having a sign on the door. Also, the in-room safe was not functioning. Perks including a welcome amenity of delicious fresh fruit and water which retails for $8/bottle in the room. There is an Illy single-serve espressamente coffee machine in room which is refilled daily with room service. This is a very nice amenity and will be a bright spot for the discriminating traveler. For those who don't like mandatory $30/valet parking, you actually can rationalize some of the costs with these perks and services. Now for the bad stuff: The hotel forgot to notify guests that the Real Housewives of Miami (featuring supermodel Joanne Krupa) was staging (i.e. filming) an event and closed the tranquility pool on Thursday (all day). For guests like me, this was one day lost because the water was shut off in the morning for 55 minutes and of course this pool was closed on one the 3 days the sun was out. Therefore, sitting by a noisy kids pool with foreigners who have kids lacking swim diapers was a short-lived experiment. The pool attendants were woefully bored, playing baseball with cups and on their iphones hopefully searching for better jobs. After housekeeping didn't freshen the room Thursday and after being rudely awoken to a staff meeting in the hallway at approximately 8:20a on Friday, we forfeited our final paid night and checked out. The hotel looks amazing. However, this is far from 5-diamond luxury. As a local SoCal resident, it was refreshing seeing a better clientele at this property than other resorts. English is the spoken language by staff and the majority of guests and you will see later model cars and wealthier guests than Hyatt properties in the North. The demographic is good for the discriminating traveler like me. However, the service is average to sub-par at best. Better communication of events/closures, housekeeping, and parking charges up-front would be welcome. Also, we did not spend a single dollar on property outside of valet. I strongly recommend the following dining experiences within a short drive of the resort: Tin Leaf Cafe, Crossings Golf Course Clubhouse, Fish House Veracruz, and happy hours down Carlsbad Village Drive. Enjoy Cineopolis luxury movie theater for a relaxing night out ($19.50 pp for a movie, plus in-seat drink and food service). Play a round of golf at the Crossings (the most expensive public golf course ever built t $70 million). It will not disappoint! Skip the Aviara golf course, they are overpriced and it isn't that great despite their Conde Nast marketing efforts. Don't pay $22 on property for a 2-egg breakfast. Drive away---far away. Also, the mini-bar is well stocked but will run you a fortune. We packed a mini-cooler and shopped regularly at Vons on El Camino Real which resulted in significant savings. If you drive 5 minutes in either direction on Aviara Parkway, you can eat and drink better. We event enjoyed the jazz and lobby lounge without paying $100 for 5 drinks like the couple next to us (truly, the resort prices are over the top even compared to true 5-diamond resorts). Bottom line . . . I saved about 60% off the sticker price, got about 60% of what I would expect from a 5-diamond resort. I would have rather spent my vacation and dollars elsewhere. Most disappointing trip since Palm Springs Marriott Shadow Ridge (where amenities were 5-diamond and demographic was questionable at best).

Room Tip: Get a lagoon/ocean view. I would have left at check-in if I faced the residential community.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank HyattHound
Thank you for your thorough review, and your kind comments regarding our property are appreciated. With that said, I apologize that your experience with us did not fulfill your expectations. We are better than that, and your feedback is greatly valued as an opportunity to learn and improve.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Park Hyatt Aviara is one of the most beautiful resorts with first class service and amenities. We just spent 5 days there for my daughter's wedding and it was one of the most memorable events of our lives. The staff was incredible - from valet service, dining, golf, spa, concierge, and the fabulous Kelly Smorzewski (Senior Sales Catering Manager) - not one detail was missed. The rooms were beautiful and comfortable and the staff accommodated all of our special needs at every turn. I not only look forward to many future stays at this beautiful resort, but would recommend it to anyone looking for an escape to San Diego!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
It brings us great joy to hear that your daughter’s wedding was a spectacular success. As it is a memorable and joyous occasion for the entire family, we are honored that we had the opportunity to be a part of this very special day. Kelly, and her incredible team of experienced wedding professionals, will be thrilled to learn that their services exceeded your expectations and left no detail un-turned. Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I would consider myself a critic of SoCal resorts. I have been to quite a few in the San Diego area and decided to try the Park Hyatt Aviara for Memorial Day. I have been meaning to try this resort out and compare it to the likes of La Costa, L'Auberge, Grand Del Mar, and The Lodge...This is supposedly a 5 Diamond resort (probably when it was a Four Seasons) so I was curious how it would stand up to the other ones in the area (Grand and The Lodge) and it did pretty well. I would probably give it a 4.5 Diamonds if it was up to me. We got a very nice deal and ended up with a 1 bedroom Park Suite with a Panoramic View King for under $700 a night. We had 2 families (4 adults and 5 kids) stay in the room. Here is the breakdown...
Hotel/Check-in: Like mentioned before, this hotel is a tad away from civilization. There are no restaurants or shopping next to it. But it is nicely situated and quite. Grounds were in decent shape but nothing to be wowed over. Nice view of the ocean from certain angles. Driving up, you had no choice but to valet. Valets and bellmen were very attentive. Check in was a breeze. I had my kids with me and initially there was no move to offer them anything. However, another staff member lead another family's kids to a wagon and offered them a toy. Another bellman saw my kids and offered them one as well. We were directed to our room by another bellman who gave us a very brief tour of the hotel layout. He walked us into our room and gave us a tour of the room. I really appreciated that. This was similar to the Montage in which the hotel receptionist lead us to our room.
Room: The rooms were huge. The Panoramic king room had a large bathroom (we were able to fit my daughters crib in there and that was where she slept) and a pull out sofa. We had previously requested a microwave and crib (via the e-concierge) and those were there waiting for us. The balcony was really nice. The Park suite was huge. I loved having an extra bathroom (with shower) in the main area. There was a mini bar fridge that we could empty and use. My only complaints (small) was that the sofas were pretty uncomfortable. I believe our rooms were recently remodeled and the couches were new (one had a cable that had to be cut before the bed could be set up). There was not enough outlets available in the rooms. For $25 resort fee, there was no complimentary water (although they gave away water bottles at valet). The bed was comfy but a tad too soft. One of our phones didn't work. The good...Great bathrooms including tooth paste, soft towels and good water pressure. They had little things that made our stay wonderful including wine/bottle opener, wine glasses, good wifi, and ihome docks that charged iphone (not necessary a given with all ihome). On their website, you couldn't really tell how the room was going to look, but all in all I was really pleased. The room was on the 5th floor and we never had to wait more then a few seconds for the elevator. We were also fortunate that the suite was situated at the far corner of the hallway and gave us some privacy. Plus the kids were probably really loud and we felt a tad better knowing that there was not a
Hotel Amenities: The pool area was nice. They had sufficient lounge chairs and cabanas available for use. They don't charge for the cabanas and it is first come first serve. Small jacuzzi and it was full due to the cooler weather. Nice little kiddie splash area. The kids loved the game room. They had about 6 complimentary PS3 set up with games. Air hockey, ping pong, fooseball, and even a shuffle board. One of the nicer game rooms by far.
Service: This area is what I feel makes or breaks a resort (from 4 diamonds to 5 diamonds) and I felt that Park Hyatt did a pretty good job. So far, the top resorts (regarding sevice) that I have been to (and base all of my reviews) has been the Peninsula in Bangkok, Montage in Laguna Hills and The Grand Del Mar. Park Hyatt is almost up there with the previously mentioned. If you are gonna call yourself a 5 diamond resort, I will be very picky with my observations. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly and luggages showed up at our room within a few minutes of our arrival. I loved being escorted to our room and always thought that was a great touch. Housekeeping carts were never seen in the hall ways (i believe they drag around a smaller cart and wheel them into the rooms). Here were the things that I was impressed with...Bellman did not know the answer to my question about the restaurants, but he went and found out and returned with the answer. Microwave and crib (as prev mentioned) along with baby supplies were already there. Plus they placed a diaper genie in the bathroom. Now our friends also had a baby and stayed in the other room. On the second day, housekeeping noticed that they had left some diapers in the trash and automatically brought them a diaper genie as well (nice). The first night, we bought some cigars and smoked them on the balcony and used a cup with water for an ashtray. The second day, housekeeping noticed that and placed an ashtray and matches out there for us. Room service was prompt and cordial. We had some friends over the next night and I called and requested 15 plates and spoons and forks (for chinese takeout in our room whom concierge recommended and sent up their takeout menu) and there was no hesitation or question on their part and it all arrived within 15 mins. Everyone in the restaurants were cordial and attentive. Gave a feeling of class without the snootiness. Workers would stop by and acknowledge us as our kids raced by. I loved the complimentary coffee and juices in the lobby throughout the day. The concierge was really helpful and attentive. I liked the e-concierge that they have so you can prerequest items prior to your arrival.
Minor negatives (told you I was gonna be picky)...I had called and requested turn down service to be done at 6:30pm (while we were away for dinner). Housekeeping showed up at 9pm (after we returned of course). However, to give them credit, they worked around us and was very prompt and quick. Not sure if this was by design, but I only received the paper on one of the 2 days that I stayed there. Lobby lounged closed at a pretty early time (11:30pm).
All in all, I thought service was really good and could almost justify 5 diamonds.
Restaurants: We only ate at the California Bistro and was satisfy with our meals. I thought the breakfast buffet was a tad over priced for what was offered ($26 per person) with what looked liked 4-5 hot items and omelette station. The dinner buffet (memorial day special) was nice and at a decent price $35 per person. The wine menu at the Bistro was a tad small, but that was probably due to the fact that it was a bistro.
All in all, we had a wonderful stay and would love to return and stay in a suite again. I would probably give this resort a 4.5 diamonds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Saysum
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We are so thankful for the time that you took to review our resort so kindly. As a well-versed traveller with a clear understanding of luxury hospitality, your comments are sincerely valued and much appreciated. It brings us great joy to hear of all the wonderful experiences that you and your family enjoyed during your stay, too. We strive to provide authentic hospitality, so your kind comments regarding the concierge and in room dining services, as well as the exceptional service from the bellman and housekeeping teams, will certainly be shared with everyone. Please let us know how we can be of any assistance with future reservations. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you and your family back to enjoy one of our recently renovated suites again, soon!
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The service at Park Hyatt is always excellent, and same as this Aviara Resort. The breakfast staff is even more wonderful, they are delightful and makes you feel the day will go great!! The breakfast buffet is really tasty, and full of options! Also, the newly renovated California Bistro is open and airy, it's a wonderful way to start a day.

Unfortunately, for a 15 years old resort, the hotel room needs some update. I was disappointed when I walk in the room, it did not feel like a Park Hyatt room. I felt like walking in an average resort, which can only demands max. at $150. A big disappointment that American Express listed Aviara under their Fine Hotel and Resort. I would suggest AMEX remove them from FH&R.

We also tried the room service due to the customer service who pick up the phone gave us the wrong information that Vivace restaurant opens till 9:30 on Sunday night. We returned to the hotel, and found out the Vivace does not open on Sunday night. I am pregnant, so I didn't want to dine at their Steakhouse because well-done steak is never good. Plus, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. I was too hungry to drive out to other restaurant. So, we decided to order room service, which was awful. This is the worst room service food I've ever had. That was my sister's first time to order room service, and she asked me if the hotel normally serves microwave food for room service. That's how bad it was. The food was lukewarm and dry. I ordered hot water, but they forgot to provide me with any cups. If you ever go to Aviara resort, do not waste your money on room service food.

I still give this resort a 3 stars because their service is really wonderful!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank GreenHuntingtonBeach
ParkHyattAviara, General Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful comments, and I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed breakfast in the newly renovated California Bistro. We are currently in the process of finishing an additional renovation to our guest rooms, suites, and corridors, and the refurbishments will be unveiled early this summer. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back so we can share our new designs and make up for your room experience. I am also very disappointed, and frankly embarrassed, to hear about the room service that you received. There are no excuses for your order to have been anything less than the restaurant quality that you and your sister expected. If you contact me directly, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit in greater detail. Your kind comments regarding the wonderful service you experienced during your stay are greatly appreciated, and I look forward to speaking with you or corresponding via email soon.
With Warm Regards,
Mark Stiebeling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend and actually didn't want to leave. We brought our bikes and rode down to the beach. The room was by beautiful and comfortable. The service was very good. We loved the pool area because they have a family and adult area that are separate. We had a cabana and that was just wonderful. We ate dinner at Vivace one night and it was one of the best hotel restaurant experiences. The food was excellent. I can't wait to go back, hopefully soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and the bike ride down to the beach sounds absolutely beautiful. What a great way to spend the weekend. Please let us know how we can assist with reservations to welcome you back soon. Vivace’s Pranzo, a fresh take on the sacred tradition of Italian lunch, will be featuring special menus through the summer that highlight cuisine from various regions of Italy, and we would love for you to experience them!