“The staff are so good!~”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellington, New Zealand
“The staff are so good!~”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm here for a conference and leaving today so thought I'd give my thoughts while they're still fresh in my mind! Firstly, if you're coming here for the first time and programme the address into your GPS, if you can't find the Park Hyatt and just put the address in, you might find yourself in the wrong street as I did! I only bought this GPS last year and it didn't have the Park Hyatt Aviara listed in there so if yours is the same, type in the Four Seasons Carlsbad and you'll find it!

The service was great here with lots of friendly staff! The tariff was about the going rate ($229) but was a little annoyed that breakfast $26) wasn't included. Oh, on the subject of breakfast, have the fruit smoothy! It changes daily but I only discovered it on my third day!

We dined at the Argyle Steakhouse which was quite a distance from the lobby so grab the shuttle unless you want the stroll! There was a wide selection of steaks there but alas, no spare ribs which was what I was craving for! Oh, another tip there, if you have an orange juice, ask them to leave out the ice! I think this is an American thing but it was blimming cold that night, maybe 8 degrees and they served my orange juice up to the brim with ice! By the time i scooped all the ice cubes out, the orange juice filled about a quarter of the glass!

I ended up having a steak which was fine but very expensive! All the steaks run from $47 up which I thought was pretty steep seeing you also had to order side dishes seperately! I sneaked a peek at the bill which ran to over $1000 so I'm just pleased that I don;t have to try to explain that through my expenses!

My room had a balcony overlooking the pool which I didn't have time to use. Both the pool and the balcony I mean!

Decor was tasteful, bathtub was nice and deep, just how I like it! I was disappointed that the complementary bottled water only came at night when they had the turn-down service and wasn't available in the room.

The bathroom seemed a little dated but perhaps this goes with the decor?

Something I very rarely do but did this time was read the labels on the toiletaries and found it very amusing. For example on the body lotion:

"....this hand and body lotion perfumes, softens and smoothes your skin. For better results, have someone else apply it on you.". Now I looked and looked but couldn't find anyone to help me with this!

This theme continues with the shower gel. "....this shower gel cleans the body and mind, as long as you take a shower by yourself. If not, it only cleans the body."

The conditioner: this moisturising conditioner will smooth, soften and perfume your hair. The ones you have on your head, that is!" No kidding, it does say that!

The shampoo: "...this shampoo will wash your hair. And moisturise it. And makes it smell wonderful. And make you look beautiful. And that's it!"

Now, i wouldn't be surprised to read this in a hotel in Asia where the English isn't their first language but these were made in Canada!

I do attest that they all worked well though but I think the next time I come here, I'll take greater efforts to look for someone to help me apply these lotions here! Eiher that or stop reading the labels!

Great soft mattress, probably one of the best I've experienced!

I suspect my toliet was designed by a woman as teh seat wouldn't stay up when going for a number one!

Room Tip: I quite liked my room, (331) which despite the number, was on the lobby floor, as it had a balcony o...
2 Thank RayC888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Carlsbad, CA
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We live very close to the resort, so we frequent the dining area a few times a year. Most recently, we had a Living Social deal for drinks and appetizers. The drinks regularly priced are ridiculous, $15-30 for a cocktail or glass of wine so it's definitely worth it to find specials when you can.
Best Kir Royale and Creme brûlée I've ever had. We sat in the lounge by the fireplace which was lovely. The service is not great, so go for the ambiance and don't expect The Ritz.

• Stayed January 2013
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I travel often and stay in hotels of all types. This isn't my favorite hotel in the world, but mainly because i normally like smaller boutique hotels, but i would stay here again and again and again. The staff is amazing, every single person that works here is helpful, expedient, dependable, friendly etc. It should be an example to other hotels. The pool and views are amazing and did i mention the staff? "Well done" employees of the Hyatt Aviara Resort.

Room Tip: The balconies are fabulous. I don't know if all rooms have them, but if they don't get a 5t...
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've stayed here when it was a Four Seasons and now that it is a Park Hyatt. While it's not quite up to Four Seasons standards the resort is very nice. The grounds are breathtaking. The golf course is as picturesque as it gets. The fixtures in the rooms need updating, but otherwise this is still a very nice property.

2 Thank Jski529
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here for four nights while attending the Farmers Insurance Golf Tournament and visiting Taylor Made headquarters.

From the moment I arrived to my departure 4 days later, every employee I encountered couldn't have been more helpful. The valet/bellmen always offered to help with carrying our clubs in or out if we needed, all my luggage arrived in my room less than 5 minutes after I did.

The room itself was a beautiful King bedded room that looked out over the pool area and the golf course in the distance. The balcony with a sliding glass door provided an excellent venue to enjoy a morning cup of coffee while reading the Tribune.

We started each morning with a wonderful breakfast in the California Bistro. Whether you get the full buffet or menu items, they are all plentiful and wondeful tasting.

We didn't spend a lot of downtime in the hotel, but one night we did have a bit of free time, and enjoyed the game room. It was practically empty, so it seemed like our private little haven, where we were able to enjoy pool, ping pong and various play station games. I decided to pass on the Dance Revloution game :)

I've always enjoyed every stay I've had at Hyatts, and this one was most enjoyable.

Room Tip: King view rooms such as numbers 64's through 67's offer a very quiet location and nice view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at the resort for 3 nights, and I had an excellent stay. From the start, the valet employees were awesome. The front desk staff was impressively helpful, and they actually cared. The room was very clean, gorgeous, and had a beautiful view. Argyle restaurant is a fantastic option for dinner, California Bistro was an excellent choice for breakfast. And if you stay here do not skip the game room!!! The hotel is very large and is beautiful. If you stay here, you will not be dissapointed.

1 Thank Church717
Tulsa
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I visited this resort with my family last summer, and we all greatly enjoyed it. My favorite part was the gardens--they were very lush, colorful, and relaxing. The inside decor was also wonderful. The hotel is near Legoland, so there were many young children staying there as well. In general, they didn't really bother me since the only time I saw them was at breakfast in the morning. (There's an adult-only pool.) There's not a whole lot to do for free there, necessarily: some table games, swimming, jogging, etc. There was a spa but I didn't end up going, and it's not a beachfront property, but the beach isn't too far either. We had good service both at the check-in desk and from the other staff. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family