“Fabulous property, incredible staff and delicious restaurants! YES PLEASE”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We checked into the Hyatt Aviara for a little family R&R right after Labor Day. It was a stay-cation of sorts for us as we live in LA but we came home so rested that we felt like we'd been a million miles away. From the valet (Scott?!) to the front desk manager (Ryan White) to the concierge (Sarah G.), to the pool staff, friendly, incredibly helpful service and a warm small greeted us at every turn. We ate at the buffet breakfast each morning and it was delicious. We ordered food poolside each afternoon and we all enjoyed our lunch- if you've ordered pool service you know that's a nice surprise in itself. Our kids loved that the staff there had complimentary little treats- a toy for each of them upon check in, rice crispy treats sent up to the room upon arrival (we were celebrating our son't birthday) and another in the hot afternoons by the pool each day (smoothies once, frozen grapes, otter pops, etc). Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. It overlooked the pool. We also LOVED the beach valet service where they loaded us up with waters, towels and sand toys for the kids and then gave us a ride there! AWESOME! We were sorry to leave and on the drive home promised to ensure that this particular stay-cation becomes an annual occurrence in our family.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank K M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Can't find words to express how much I truly love it here. We recently returned from our fourth stay in the past year. I've already written three previous reviews so this one will probably be my last; however, we plan to stay at this gorgeous gem many, many more times... just couldn't imagine my future without the Hyatt Aviara in it.

Wish I could pinpoint why I have such an intense affinity for this place. I jest, but yet sometimes I briefly wonder, if it might be evoking memories of a previous incarnation, where I once lived the most perfectly contented and happy life in a mansion which had a huge main parlour with an adjoining tea lounge, dining room, and a few smaller sitting rooms that looked very similar to the ones here. Regardless, I am so glad I found this place - it is very good for my soul, and I hope, upon my demise, that my spirit will make it back here frequently and and will sit and linger in all of my favorite areas over and over again.

Luxury and first class service is a fine science here and perfection permeates this place. I have yet to find any resort/hotel in the world I like better. There are numerous other ultra-luxe, award winning, five star and five diamond resorts within a half hour drive from the Hyatt Aviara; namely the Ritz-Carlton, St Regis, Montage, Grand, Pelican Hill and Torrey Pines Lodge. All of them are quite nice; however, for my taste, this Park Hyatt Aviara definitely holds 1st place, the Montage 2nd and the St Regis and Pelican Hill tie for 3rd.

I have alway enjoyed long, relaxing sits in immense & beautiful hotel lobbies, but most especially here where the vast, elegant lobby - with its adjoining tea room, lounge/grill, and two smaller lounge areas - is, without any doubt, one of the loveliest ever (my favorite of all). Oh, and I mustn't forget the very nice lounge in the lobby of their Argyle Restaurant which looks out on to the golf course 18th hole. You'll find none of the overly ornate, grandiose, heavy and somewhat ostentatious visual overload of the nearby Grand Del Mar here (see my separate review) - but rather a more casual (yet very exquisite) and soothing, classically traditional type elegance.

The floral arrangements, to be seen in all of the public areas here, are always so pretty. Their most current floral theme showcases the exquisite orchid which they gloriously display in beautiful containers throughout the hotel in many different varieties & colors. There had to be at least 80 orchid arrangements on display, including those in the spa and very lovely, charming sitting areas on every floor next to the elevators.

They have just embarked on a very expensive room renovation project, however, with 329 rooms, it will most likely take a few years to complete. The hotel is 15 years old and although I am quite content with their VERY large rooms as they are are now - warm, comfortable, refined hominess; management feels it's time for a more updated look. Hope they stay with the same basic room colors, but just go a wee bit more contemporary with the furnishings (not too sleek or modern), and sure hope they don't change the huge, gorgeous bathrooms which are so perfect as is. I was told they intend to keep the public areas pretty much as they are now (a classic, traditional style) and I am so thankful for that.

The service at all of their 5 restaurants is always exemplary in every way, as well as the food. However, at one of our many meals in the lobby/lounge grill, it was taking a tad longer than usual to receive our food. We made no mention of this to anyone as we were in no rush and quite content to sit there at length relaxing and enjoying the wonderful ambiance. So we were quite surprised when the waiter told us, before serving our meal, that it would be "on the house" because the manager (who must have been taking note of our wait time) felt we had waited a bit too long. We still insisted on paying, but they would not accept it. That was just one of the many unexpected personal niceties one encounters here daily.

SOME TIPS :

If you can, you should really try and come here during the month of December when the lobby area is splendidly decorated with the annual Christmas Festival of Trees. We already booked a 5 day stay. The decorations include about 14 full size and oversized very unique, professionally and differently designed trees; a large gingerbread Christmas village, and a huge (about 6' x 8') white christmas village cake complete with a revolving train. The cake is designed and baked on the premises by the Aviara's own pastry chefs. The trees are all part of a silent auction - each having its own bid sheet where you may enter your name & bid amount should you be interested in owning one. They are very carefully crated and delivered to you (with all decorations intact) after the season ends, however, I think the delivery area radius is rather limited.

You MUST have their VANILLA BEAN YOGURT. I don't really care for yogurt, but this does not taste like yogurt...it's so much better. They make it on the premises, fresh, daily. Everyone who has tasted it raves about it. Although it is usually not on their menus, if you ask for it and they haven't run out, I'm pretty sure you can get it. I have it delivered to my room with breakfast every morning. My room service attendant knew how much I loved it and had an extra one delivered to me "on the house." Then, later that day, as I was praising the yogurt to a very sweet, young waitress in the lobby grill, she offered to give me a printed version of their recipe and promptly brought it to our table along with extra copies for family and friends.

Try the guava smoothie at poolside. Numerous flavors are offered, but their guava is exceptional. Incidentally, the adults only tranquility pool has soothing underwater music.

The "warmed" pistachio nuts in the lobby grill are so scrumptious, and no struggling to pry them open.

Best gelatos ever and always made fresh in their own kitchen; vanilla, pistachio and cherry are my must-haves all the time. Those flavors are frequently not on the menus, but if you ask, they will most likely be available. Servings come with 3 scoops, so get one of each flavor.

This is not an ocean front property, however, on a clear day and from certain rooms, you can get a small view of the ocean which is 3 miles away. I am not an "ocean" person and am more than happy with the pristine & tranquil views of the very large Batiquitos Lagoon on this property. The lagoon is an inlet of the Pacific Ocean and has an excellent two mile nature & wildlife walking trail. If you must do the beach, the hotel provides a free shuttle service which takes you to and from the beach (a short seven minute drive). They supply you with and will set up the chairs, umbrellas, towels, et al.

The hotel was 100% booked with the annual American Airlines celebrity golf and tennis tournament during our last stay, yet it was never noisy or chaotic...always quite peaceful. The tournament group held their last night gala event in the grand ballroom and it was enjoyable sitting near the lobby watching several hundred guests, all glammed and glitzed up in their very finest, pass by on their way to the ballroom. Wendie Mallick (the star of tv sitcom "Hot In Cleveland") was one of the celebrities. She was dining with friends only a few feet away from us at the next table as we ate lunch in the lobby grill. The next morning we passed her in the hallway and exchanged a smile and hello.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank sorlpegave
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort was our last stop on our 3-weeks tour along the coast of California. This hotel is just wonderful! We enjoyed our 3 nights to the full. The staff is very attentive and fulfils your wishes with a smile. Our room was very big, even the bathroom. And the food in both restaurants is just amazing. In the pool area you can relax and just dream of sweet California. We loved it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Danielle_1788
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had this hotel on my list for years back when it was the Four Seasons. The property is lovely- not on the beach but nice. We were upgraded upon our arrival and the front desk service was fabulous. We were hungry when we arrived so we ordered room service and it was over the top! The service at this hotel was top notch. It was everything we needed and expected. I would most definitely book this hotel again. The drive to the ocean is five minutes and there are lots of restaurants in the area. The pools are great and we enjoyed the bar as well. We also found a great jogging path that we enjoyed. This place is a YES!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AukaiGirl
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Loved so many things! Hope I can return some day soon. Used points to pay for room-wonderful use of points! The scented lobby smelled fantastic and the hotel is so beautiful, clean and well maintained. Manuel from room service was great. The food from room service and at California Bistro was delicious-fabulous chef!!! The massage from Kimmy in the spa was the best-although spa services are too expensive. The concierge was so sweet. Printed out directions to the shopping center with an Apple store and had the valet put beach chairs, umbrella, towels and directions to the beach in our car. Front desk sent my daughter chocolates and bottled water to room for her 18th birthday! Fabulous visit and now we love San Diego! Looking for more Hyatts when traveling!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Copefad
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Aviara for three nights and had a great time. The resort grounds are beautiful and well-maintained. Service is excellent - all of the staff were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. The reception manager even walked us to the elevators after checking us in. We highly recommend the hotel for a nice get away.

Room Tip: The hotel has the best pillows!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank suntravel2000
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This property is nice but hasn't much character; clean but kind of antiseptic; nice location but no views; large but not many spaces to enjoy. Think large, wide hallways but no chairs. It's an odd property: all the guest rooms are on one side grouped around the pools, while the other half of the very large property is comprised of banquet/conference spaces. Only one venue for dinner (formal), and a very limited bar menu for informal dining. A nice gym open 24 hrs, but pool closes at 9pm. The landscaping is odd -- shrubs and trees are so high they block the view. Why are they blocking the view of the golf course and the valley? All in all, I just didn't get this property. I did appreciate how clean everything was, how large the guest rooms were, the pleasant fragrance pumped in to the hallways, the private patio, the quiet grounds. As others have commented, daily rates are considerably higher than rack rates due to mandatory resort fee and parking; why don't hoteliers just make these part of the basic rate? This is the only property -- from the highes to lowest end where I've stayed -- that hasn't provided an in-room coffee maker (room service coffee is $9-12 per pot plus tax, gratuity and service fee), and unlike other Hyatts, there is no lobby coffee service. One would have to travel to the other side of the property to get coffee from the restaurant (and not sure they'd make it "to go" back to the room). I'm not a coffee drinker but I know this would be very annoying to anyone who is used to a morning cup on awakening. On the other hand, this is also the only property I've been to recently that has offered a shower cap in the room (can't figure out why they stopped providing such an inexpensive but appreciated item). This won't be my destination of choice in the area, but I did appreciate my stay midweek at a very good rate.

Room Tip: I think the best choice would be a 3rd floor room in the east wing facing the pool, and as far down...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends