“too many little things missing”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glendale, California
“too many little things missing”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Beautiful location, lobby smells great. Rooms clean, pool area empty, nice salt water pool. Vivace has a nice kids menu. pork was overdone and tough, burrata salad was great. Gym was clean and fully equipped. Vanilla bean yogurt was great. Kids got toys at arrival. Valet was friendly.
Unfortunately, all the good was overshadowed by what was missing. No suntan lotion, no treats for the kids at turndown, forgot to plug in my electric car overnight, no personal message for our anniversary, no water from valet, no upgrade even though place was empty. first room smelled of tobacco smoke, second room's patio smelled of cigar. Bed is too soft, we kept rolling to the middle. For a five star they were lacking attention to the little things that make this different than a holiday inn.

Room Tip: garden side is quiet during the day, pool side can get noisy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We moved here for the fourth/last night of our stay when we just couldn't bear the #1 rated property on Tripadvisor any longer. And this sanctuary was actually priced lower, although parking and resort fees pushed up the total. It's not cheap, but in our view it's good value.
The Receptionist Veronica was very helpful and arranged for us to see two rooms for us to choose before booking us in. The room was fresh and airy and very appealing with a lovely view over the pools and beyond to the lagoons. The bathroom was very well appointed with a nice deep tub and separate glass shower, double vanity etc.
The property has a tranquility pool which precludes under 16's, so although occasional squeals could be heard from the main pool, there was a sense of peace which was what we were seeking.
In the evening we decided to eat at Vivace, one of the four options on-site - the location of the hotel would mean driving to alternatives. We sat out on the terrace with a view to the ocean and watched the sun set. Marshall looked after us as though we were old friends, making excellent suggestions for both food and wine choices. Jesse the chef deserves the highest accolades - every morsel of food was delicious.
Our bed was wonderfully comfortable and we had a lovely peaceful night awaking around 8am! Breakfast out on the terrace of the California Bistro, again delicious and fresh.
Special thanks to Veronica who also handled our check-out - lovely, professional, caring young lady - total credit to the Hyatt and they should be proud of her.
It's not cheap, but in our view it's good value. Just sorry we couldn't stay longer. Or hadn't moved sooner!
All too soon we had to head to the airport, but we will go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DWYGO
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I've stayed her for 20 nights since May of 2012 so I feel like I'm an authority on the place. No, I am not super wealthy, these are business trips and the company prefers the Hyatt. This place is great. Every employee has a smile on their face all the time. I never heard an "I can't" or a "no" to any of my requests (and believe me, after 9 nights, you start having weird and/or demanding requests.) I have stayed all over the world on business and pleasure and this by far is my favorite hotel ever, more due to the staff than anything, but it also has incredible views, incredible gardens and 2 great pools. On weekends, it's mostly families and weekdays are mostly business people there for meetings in the hotel. Neither disturbs the elegance of the place. The staff at the Lounge is gracious, free (very good) coffee from 4am-9am is wonderful, the 2 room gym is equipped with everything you need including cold towels, dry towels, lemon water, headphones, etc...and is huge and light and bright and cool. The international staff around the adult pool is a delight. Do not miss talking to them. And where else can I lay around in my chair and have someone bring me ice water, a fresh towel, a bit of sunscreen or a fresh strawberry with whipped cream for a snack, all without paying extra for it. Of course, I try to tip well. The beach is a 7 min drive, but with the golf course, afternoon tea on weekends, the quiet pool with underwater speakers and relaxing music (yes, really), great (albeit expensive) cucumber coolers and exceptional service, there were several days that I never left the property. There is a huge family pool too complete with toys, a water play area for little ones also, but my son is grown, so I didn't spend time there. I have managed a few smaller hotels, and huge kudos goes to the management of this one. I can't forget to mention the valet staff. Though it is a pain to always use valet parking when you want to go someplace quickly, if you call down for your car, it goes much quicker and those guys always have a smile, a cold bottle of water for you and a nice thing to say to brighten your day. And at least once during your stay, have breakfast delivered to your room and dine on the balcony looking over the pool or garden or hills. No room has a bad view. The Hyatt Aviara is what I imagine heaven will be like or maybe what it feels like to be a princess. LOL

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden, not the pool if you want quiet all day. Do call the valet num...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank islasisterchick
Rogers, Minnesota
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed for four days at the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort for a business trip. The room I stayed in overlooked the garden area - beautiful! The room was large, with a king size bed, sofa, desk with 2 chairs. Each room also has a furnished balcony, with table and 2 cushioned teak chairs. The closet ran the whole length of the entryway and included a safe. The bathroom was absolutely huge and included a soaking tub, separate shower, double sinks and a separate room with toilet. The bathroom amenities included 2 robes, cotton swabs, toothpaste, cotton facial pads, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, fingernail file and a few other things. The bed was very comfortable. The bar area in the room included free coffee and the pay items in the mini-bar were plentiful and of a good variety.

The negatives were the $30/day for valet parking - I asked if there was self parking available and was told there was not. I am perfectly capable of parking my car and walking into the hotel and would rather have done that than pay the $30/day for basically overnight parking, since I was gone 10 hours of the day. The internet was $13/day, unless you had the resort fee of $25/day, which included the internet - I didn't have either of these, so I do not know what was included in the resort fee.

I did not use any of the other facilities, so can not comment on those. Overall, very nice and comfortable rooms. I would stay here again if there were self parking available. I do not think it is worth it to pay $30/day to park my car overnight. For that reason only, I probably would not stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sweetsmile30
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a lovely resort. As many reviews had stated this resort focuses on families, our mistake was to think we could escape it over the holiday weekend. We booked our trip with Southwest Airlines for airfare and hotel and paid the upgraded cost for a panoramic view to avoid the pool noise unfortunately our room was right in the middle of the kids pool area and with movie night it was miserable. We requested twice to move our room and were told that they were are 100% there was nothing available. There were numerous weddings over the holiday weekend and it seemed that the hotel guest become lost with these activties. Limited dining options, as on-site restaraunts are closed on certain days and times. The breakfast buffet at the California Bistro was good, if parents with children would consider other guests are dining. Valet fee of $30.00 per day is never stated (no self park option) and the $25.00 resort fee basically provides you coffee in the morning as there is no in-room coffee available. Beds are comfortable, but with the surrounding noise from other guest rooms it makes it difficult to enjoy a good nights rest. Adult pool area is very nice. We so needed a R&R weekend and I couldn't wait to leave this hotel to escape the noise.

Room Tip: Kid friendly hotel, beware if you are looking for relaxtion.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank over50traveler59
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at this Hyatt for two nights in early September. I was there with my wife and 1.5 year-old daughter. Overall, I was really impressed with the staff, the room, and the amenities, and I would definitely return in the future.

One of the things that I liked best was how many amenities were available for my daughter. This really surprised us! When we arrived for check in, someone wheeled out a wagon full of dollar-store toys and asked her to pick one out. They also sent up a sweet treat to our room after check in for her. Down at the pool, there was a small wading pool (1' deep) that was just for kids. There was also a splash pad with a water fountain and water jets. At one of the restaurants there was a buffet (literally down at kid level: about 2' off the ground), and they also had kid-friendly dish ware and utensils. I joked to my wife that I've spent 30+ nights in Hyatts this year, and I never received this type of personalized treatment!

To be fair, there were a few nice (adult) amenities in the lobby: there was lemonade/ice tea in the afternoons and a coffee/tea bar in the morning.

On our second night, I told the concierge that my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and asked if they could send up two champagne flutes. (I brought my own bottle.) They sent up the flutes, but also threw in a complimentary bottle of Prosecco and some chocolate-covered strawberries: it was a very thoughtful and kind gesture.

Overall, we were really impressed with the level of detail across the property, which all seemed just a step above the normal Hyatt experience. Bellmen and servers were unusually helpful, well-spoken, and gracious. Towels were larger and fluffier, and the bed more luxurious.

I would not hesitate in returning to this property again the future.

One thing to note: there is a $25/day resort fee ($27.50 after tax) and mandatory valet parking for $30/day. The resort fee is clearly stated on the hotel's website, but the parking details are a little harder to find. I mention this because these fees quickly add on to the nightly rate, making a stay here sneakily expensive, even if the basic room rate appears to be rather low. Personally, I'd rather that all of this get rolled into the room rate because it's annoying to have to pay all of these extra fees, especially the parking. (It's not like they're located on a busy city block where parking spots are at a premium.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank theregularguy
Pasadena, California
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort for a family vacation because of the wonderful reviews I read on Tripadvisor. Sad to say that the hotel I stayed at is not at all close to what people's reviews were. I understand that the hotel has recently converted from a four seasons to a park hyatt. I wonder whether the wonderful reviews were from the old Four Seasons days. BE AWARE some of the wonderful reviews are for a hotel that does not exist anymore. So back to the actual visit. When we arrived in the late afternoon after a visit to Sea World we were greeted by a wonderful lady at the front desk. The check in procedure was great and she brought out a cart full of toys for my kids to pick out. I thought that was wonderful. Because I noticed that there was a sofa bed in the room reservations I asked whether the staff could make the sofa bed for my kids to stay during the turndown service. The staff told me that the bed would be made after we had our dinner. However when we came back to the hotel the sofa bed was not made and the promised welcome gifts for the kids were also not there. Quite disappointing because when I checked in they told me that they had some chocolate welcome gifts for my kids they would bring over. I wouldn't had been so disappointed if these things were not promised. Then in the room we noticed that several things were missing such as cups for the bathroom and slippers in the closet. I called the front desk to have them delivered. After 45 minute and several calls to the front desk a lady finally arrived and brought only one pair of slipper and told us that she couldn't find any in the hotel. Apparently the hotel was totally booked and many things were missing. Because we stayed at many many park hyatts before we know the level of service that is normal of this chain. The service at this hotel is totally subpar. This is a very very expensive hotel for what you are getting. I don't mind paying park hyatt prices but I expect a park hyatt service and accommodations.
There are couple things I think are positive for the hotel. First there were many many kids in the hotel. So this is definitely a place to bring your kids and family. The game room was great with lots of things to do. My kids loved them. The Italian restaurant was very good. However we had to wait for a long time for seats because again the hotel was very busy.

Room Tip: paid for the panoramic view room but the view was quite disappointing. Save money and get the regula...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family