“Good Food, Nice Beer Selection”
Review of Senor Grubby's

Senor Grubby's
Ranked #41 of 365 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I met one of my best friends within an hour of arriving in Carlsbad at Senor Grubby's. We ate at the bar. I was pleased by the beer selection, both draught and bottled. My husband and I both had fish burritos, and admittedly they were quite good. The bartender who was on that night was very attentive to us and we never went without a full glass while we were there. Definitely a good stop for a quick burrito and a beer.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was not impressed with Senor Grubbys. The food was OK at best. The staff looked like they did not want to be there. You order your food at the counter and order alcohol at the bar. They give you a number, find a place to sit and wait for your food.

The salsa bar needed to be replenished and didn't look fresh. The guy behind the counter was crabby so I didn't bother asking for more hot sauce.

The service was slooooow. There was one cook from what I saw but the place wasn't busy. It took forever to get 3 street tacos, a quesadilla, and an al pastor burrito.

The cheese quesadilla needed a little more cheese - it was a little on the skimpy side. The pollo taco and the carne asada taco were both dry. The al pastor taco was tasty but had a lot of fatty pieces which was a huge turn off. It's no bueno when you bite into a chunk of fat. Bleh. Same thing for the burrito. There was a lack of meat in the burrito and it was fatty pieces at that.

They did have a good happy hour deals that day. They had $2 domestic beers that night.

Pros: Open late, good happy hour specials, good people watching location
Cons: Subpar food. Service stinks.

This place needs some TLC as it has potential and it's at a great location. The managers need to whip this place into shape.

Go to Pollos Maria down the street on Harding. Food is MUCH better.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

i have eaten here twice this year and have been unimpressed both times. I am picky about mexican food, i have pretty high standards even for hole in the wall joints... i would not miss this place if i never went again, and probably never will

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Go on the thursday when bottles of wine are 1/2 price to enjoy with the great food. we also like the "Reverse Happy Hour" that begins @ 7p.m.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Senor Grubbys is located in downtown Carlsbad, the decoration is very "California" style and I need to admit that at first I was going to have another disappointing "rubios" experience, but to my surprise the taste was much better than what I thought, I have been there a few times and only one I was not satisfied, I will still give it a very good because later on I knew that this belong to the same chain of a restaurant in Oceanside called "Los tacos" where they have hand made corn tortillas, and man, that can really make a difference in a good taco. (note, Sr. Grubbys does not have the hand made tortillas), yet, I usually leave satisfied from there.