“OK if you're not looking for authentic Mexican food”
Review of Casa de Bandini

Casa de Bandini
Ranked #4 of 358 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Indulge in authentic award-winning Mexican cuisine amidst lavish dining rooms and an enchanting outdoor patio at Casa de Bandini, located at The Forum in Carlsbad.
Reviewed February 5, 2011

One of my local friends advised Casa de Bandini as one of the best places to have Mexican food around Carlsbad, so we booked a table for our group with quite high expectations.

For a first-timer like me the decor is a bit of a shock when you enter; it's so over the top and kitschy faux-Mexican that it almost feels at the border of being offensive, but it has a tongue-in-cheek quality that makes you chuckle more than anything else... and yes there is a Mariachi band too!

After the complimentary tortilla chips and salsa (not bad) our mains were not really what we expected, The carne asada in my Burrito de la Casa was still moist but whatever marinade was used, it left little or no taste. I had a taste of one of my friends' enchilada ( I think it was the Suiza) and it was pretty much the same; cooked fine but pretty bland, lacking the zingy flavors you find south of the border.The house margaritas are a bit on the weak side but there's a pretty good selection of Tequilas to pick from.

While I wasn't really blown away by the food or the atmosphere, Casa de Bandini does have a likable quality and I can understand why so many give it the thumbs up, still if good Mexican food is what you are after you might be disappointed.

1  Thank Scottaly

Reviewed November 24, 2010

Mexican restaurants are everywhere. This place stands out from all the rest. The food selection goes far beyond your normal items. Service was excellent and our whole party enjoyed the evening. Given the opportunity we would definitely return.

Reviewed May 28, 2010

Love love the margaritas, very fresh! The food was good too, I want to go back & try something else, but I'm definitely sold on the margaritas alone!

Reviewed May 13, 2010

The place is very pretty , nice atmosphere with very pleasant musicians going table to table taking requests. However, I guess I'm not a real mexican food fan since the meal was okay but not that great. I always thought I liked mexican food but this did not live up to my expectations based on the other reviews. My husband's chimichanga tasted very old and reheated and the accompaniments were ho-hum. My special of shrimp with a mango chutney was good but not great for the money. The salsa served with chips was too spicy for us. So,I don't think I'd go there again.

Reviewed March 12, 2010

After reading the reviews here, we headed out for dinner. We ended up having a great evening, excellent food and Margaritas that were top notch. Beware for the large one! I had 2! The drinks were priced very reasonable. The Guacamole was fantastic! The restaurant was beautiful. The lights over top of the bar looked really cool. Outside waiting area very relaxing and would make time slip by. We didn't have to wait. The strolling Mariachi Band was nice and not so loud that you couldn't talk. Al walks of people were having a nice time. Go. Enjoy!!