“Walk to the ocean”

Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very nice hotel and across the street from the ocean. It is a very nice location also, close to several restaurants. Staff was friendly and lobby was very nice. Business center only had two computers but the internet service was good. Very comfortable beds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,320)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This hotel is directly across the street from beach and water, and only a short drive from downtown Carlsbad, Ca. It was very quiet, extremely friendly staff, and close to everything. While not too much (other than the beach) is directly around the hotel, you are very close to everything...this is much more quiet area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chelseyjeank
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Let me start of with saying that this visit to Carlsbad (where we used to live 25 years ago) was to attend our 23 year old niece's wedding. The ceremony and reception were at the Park Hyatt Aviara (a few miles from the HGI) and the nightly rate at that hotel was more than the HGI, also they charge a "resort fee", a mandatory $35 night fee to park your car (which we did rent one). When all was said and done, the HGI was about $100 a night less and had we had a partial ocean view. So- we went for that. Since we have family in the area we don't usually stay at hotels, however we did stay at the HGI about 10 years ago for another major family event and really enjoyed it.

Everything I am going to say needs to be seen through "colored glasses" as it was one of the hottest, muggiest weeks Carlsbad has seen in many years. And- because this wedding was one with 350 guests (yes, you read correctly- 350!) the stress level for all involved was pretty much on the scale of 11 on the normal scale of one to ten.....

Check in was fine. We asked for a bellman, it took a few minutes but one did appear and took great care with our bags and snacks we had picked up at the local supermarket. Room was fine-- EXCEPT the bathroom had a leaky air conditioner. It would drip, drip, drip and then stop. Since it was particularly humid we did have the air con on fairly high- but I mean- we had a towel and a bathtub cloth mat below the drip and they were both soaked at some point.

We had so many obligations with the rehearsal dinner, etc. that our time was limited. We left the hotel about 12:30 pm the morning after check in and asked the housecleaner in the hall to please make up our room, we would be out for a couple of hours. I left the "please make up room" sign on the door so they were clear that we were gone. We also advised her that the air conditioner was leaking in the bathroom (at least I think it was the air conditioner?) My husband checked with the front desk person about the air conditioner problem and was told "yes, we are aware of it." We went to lunch, did some errands, etc. and came back at 3pm and neither the room had been made up nor had the air conditioner been fixed. At this point we were out of time for visitors to our room as we needed to meet someone at 5pm and we both needed to shower, etc.

Next issue was the voice mail. My husbands brother (father of the bride) said he would leave us a voice mail as to what time they would pick us up for the rehearsal dinner. We had no idea where the restaurant for the rehearsal dinner was so we didn't want to drive ourselves. He says he called three times, never got voice mail, called the front desk and was on hold for (he claims) 20 minutes and he gave up. Obviously he was stressed to the max and needed that aggravation like ants at a picnic. I do have a cell phone however I don't always hear it ring so it was decided the voice mail at the hotel would be the more dependable method of communication. Oh, so not true! Another friend of my husband's, that we had plan to get together with, said he had a similar experience--no voice mail, nor any help from the front desk so it wasn't just the stressed out father of the bride that told us this.

To sum it up- both called my cell phone, I did not hear it but saw I had a voice mails so we got those messages. I just felt bad for my brother-in-law in particular as he was absolutely over the top with stress and didn't need more.

Before leaving for the rehearsal dinner, I went to the front desk and said "hey, here are my issues" and a nice young man (Brett? Brandt? something like that) tried to make amends and bought us some cocktails which certainly helped. He said the room would be made up and he would try and get the air con fixed while we were out to the rehearsal dinner. He did say they couldn't fix the voice mail for a few days so I appreciated the honesty on that....I knew to check my cell phone for messages. After dinner, we came back and still-- drip, drip, drip in the bathroom. I called the front desk, spoke to the same nice young man, and he said to call in the morning. At that point we just decided to live with it until we left as we were only there for two more nights It's not the hotels fault that we didn't call and ask about the air con the next day- we just decided it wasn't worth the aggravation of trying to coordinate a repair person when we had so many other things to deal with.

We didn't have the opportunity to use the pool or other areas. We used room service once, the food was good and cooked as we asked. Inexpensive? No, but not outrageous either. We knew what the cost would be so we were okay with it. One night we had cocktails and appetizers in the lounge with friends and everything was good.

Overall- would I stay again? Absolutely. Many of these things were beyond the hotels control and I think they did try and fix what they could. I just might be more aggressive about getting the service one expects from any hotel in the Hilton chain. (time permitting, of course.....)

2  Thank sallye53
UltimateServiceGuru, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Please accept my apologies for not delivering the service that you expected during your recent stay. Please know we take your comfort seriously and we did not meet that expectation. We have corrected the issue with the air conditioner and also the voicemail. We appreciate you calling this to our attention to give us the chance to correct the issue. We hope to see you back soon with us and I invite you to contact me directly for any future assistance.

Regie Brown

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My first time at a Hilton Garden Inn but have stayed at several Hilton brand Resorts. This a great place to have a wedding or an event. It was on the beach and during the day I opened my window to hear the Island music coming from the garden and courtyard,I felt like I was in Jamaica.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Starting to get stale, furniture bed and bathroom upgrades are needed.The Ocean View is awesome. And the staff is very friendly especially Cheri at the front desk. I have stayed here for 10 straight years and the Hotel needs some upgrades. Bed smell musty and sweaty,and several cracks in bathroom tiles, small tub and toilets. There is a new Hilton right down the road so they better step this place up a bit!!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Excellent location to chill after exploring LEGOLAND or the Zoo Safari. Kid friendly hotel. Nice, clean pool with plenty of towels available. Ocean is just across the hotel but you'll have to walk further to get down to the beach. Plenty of restaurant choices nearby. Close to the outlet stores. Made to order breakfast available. Typical breakfast fare of eggs, bacon, sausage, coffee, juices, cereals fruits and breads. Definitely better than BW breakfast. Friendly staff, the ladies at the desk were friendly and helpful to point out the amenities available, incl free shuttle to LEGOLAND. Would definitely come back here again next year for our annual San Diego summer vacation with the little folks.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I enjoyed a two-night stay at this hotel during a family reunion. The complex has a definite Early California ambience, with a beautiful courtyard and tropical landscaping, tile floors, adobe arches, and plenty of parking.
My room overlooked the courtyard, where evening drinks and socialization took place. There were light snacks available, and music. There is a nice pool.
As with the Garden Inn Hilton brand, the beds are the best in the hotel world. Extremely comfortable, and adjustable to individual preference. Nice bed linens, as well. The room had opening windows, to enjoy the fresh air and sometimes even the sound of the surf on the Pacific Ocean just across the highway. Although on a major CA highway, I never heard the road noise. The room I had was medium-sized, and extremely comfortable. It was clean, and everything was functional and in good repair. Very good bathroom with the usual amenities.
There is a breakfast buffet, or one can order from a menu, and the service was cheerful. The food was better than typical hotel food.
Front desk staff are multilingual, and very gracious. While I did not request the breakfast, they noted I was Hilton Honors and provided a voucher for a free breakfast anyway.
The lobby is large, and very inviting, with a big fireplace and comfortable seating.
The hotel has several function room, and the usual pool, fitness center, business center, etc.
For beach and ocean fans, just walk out the hotel front door, cross (carefully) the busy highway out in front, and walk either left or right down the sidewalk above the edge of the beach. You can go as far as you want and usually find easy access to the sand and ocean. It's not a wide beach at this location, but very popular.
Shopping and restaurants are close to the hotel.
I would happily stay at this hotel again and enjoyed my time there very much.
San Diego and other major locations in the vicinity are close.

Room Tip: The courtyard activity and music throughout the evening was a bit loud, as noticed from my room over...