“The Best Stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Wow, I have stayed at a lot of hotels, but non of them come close to the attention and care we received at this hotel. From the first phone call, the front desk man had me laughing and enjoying myself. When we checked in we found he upgraded us for our Anniversary. The room was beautiful and extremely comfortable. Everyone was so pleasant and seemed to sincerely care that we had a good time. I told the manager the only problem was that they spoiled us so much we were depressed when we got home.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank itsme470
Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed March 4, 2008

Talk about a wonderful stay for me and my family. We decided to take a trip up north and enjoy a few nights out to get a break from our busy schedules. The staff is what made this stay perfect! From the check in, to the housekeeping staff and everyone that came across our paths. The grounds of this hotel are beautiful. The hidden gem we were looking for. We can't wait to visit again!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank JSingle
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I am repeat customer to this great little hotel. As a business traveler I can stay at other hotels but always make it a priority to stay the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach. The location is fantastic and the view is breathtaking. If you love the beach it is right across the street. Nothing is better than coming back to a hotel with outdoor patios where you can forget about your busy day. On occasion when my wife a child travel with me, especially when I have to go to Carlsbad, the hotel is a wonderful place for a family. The pool and hot tub are great and like I said, the beach is right across the street. The rooms are very nice with all the accomodations whether their for leisure or business. I have stayed their ever since it opened a few years back and will return everytime when in Carlsbad. The hotel is centrally located in Carlsbad and there are a several restuarants in the area. Everything from Claim Jumpers to Gourmet Pizza to McDonalds and yes, a steakhouse. The rates are comparable to the area and can range from 179 to 275 in the peak season. Its a great place to use you Hilton Honors points. Good food, I like the breakfast in the mornings, and a good selection of wines for the evening whind down.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Safecon
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn was truly a 1st class experience. Our check inn went smoothly even though we requested an early check inn. The Staff was professional and extremely accomodating. The room was spacious and clean.

We have stayed in several Hotels in the Carlsbad area over the last ten years, including the Four Seasons. For the money, the Hilton Garden is the best value and it's right across the street from the Pacific Ocean.

Thanks again to the staff for making our stay memorable.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank denweed
Reviewed February 28, 2008

Work paid for me to stay here for 3 days.

Positives:
- Super comfy bed, with some air adjustment thingy.
- Very clean.
- Super comfy designer business chair.
- Free internet
- Nice and comfy foyer
- Free shuttle bus on call is very handy, took me to the train station no problems.
- Good service

Negatives:
- The beach? you gotta be kidding! But then again I come from Sydney where we have the best beaches in the world.
- I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning here (the chicken most likely). Shame, tasted real good going down! That ruined my whole trip basically, not good.
- The "gym" is tiny, basically just some cardio machines and a bench in a tiny glass box.
- Could not open the window in my room due to compressor noise from outside. Ok when closed though.

Would certainly stay here again, but I'd probably avoid the (yummy) food and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 13, 2008

We stayed here over the latter part of January. We have stayed many times at this property over the course of the last 2 years.

Once again, staff is amazingly nice and accomodating. The room service staff is extremely friendly (and not just because they expect tips). They are genuinely nice.

Front Desk staff very helpful.

Great business center with internet access and computers for the ready.

The only complaint is that there was food that a previous guest left in our room. It was in a compartment next to the fridge area. It wouldn't readily be seen but we were looking to put some items away. There were bags of m n m's (open) and peanuts that sort of thing. While not a deal breaker for us, it would have been nice had Housekeeping done a more thorough job of cleaning the room. If I am paying 200+ a night, I would like a clean room.

Also, what is with the Hilton chain removing fans from their bathrooms? We noticed none at the Hilton in Universal City and now the same seems to be happening at this property. I prefer a fan since hot showers tend to steam up the bathroom quickly. If I am trying to get ready as fiance is taking a shower, it makes it nearly impossible. Would be nice to have back.

Have stayed at the West Inn in the past and it seemed a bit "dark" for my taste. I don't recall it being overly special as other posters have made it out to be. Although the breakfast that is included with the room (hint hint HGI) is a great amenity. If traveling with a family, it definitely helps cut down on cost as the HGI charges quite a bit for their breakfast in the dining area.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nikki333
Reviewed January 21, 2008

We were very happy with the Carlsbad Beach Hilton Garden Inn. The location is very central, assuming that you have a car. The beach access is great, again assuming that you have a car to get to the various local beaches (or plan to use the hotel shuttle). Views are nice, the property was clean and attractive and comfortable, and the breakfast was very professionally cooked and served. The pleasant outdoor pool was heated to 83 degrees in January , and was enjoyable. We did not notice the train or road noise that others have mentioned. The train tracks are down a bit of an embankment from the hotel, which probably muffles the noise a bit. The convenience of the nearby train station should also be noted. We did not get the details on taking the train into San Diego, but it would be something to consider, to avoid the infamous Southern California highway traffic. The hotel should not be confused with Caneel Bay or the Four Seasons at Wailea; it is not a luxurious high-end beach resort. But it offers very nice lodging for business travelers or a family on a long weekend , enjoying the beaches and touring the area both south to San Diego and northeast to the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park, or into the desert state park at Anza Borrego, or up the coast into Orange County. The village of Carlsbad is charming, and is a short ride north (five minutes).

Stayed: January 2008