“Incredible!”

Ocean Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed February 9, 2009

A friend of mine and I visited Ocean Palms in May 08. We could not have stayed at a better place. The rooms are amazing, and they provided a very relaxing atmosphere. Also, we had access to many shopping areas, and we were very close to a variety of restaurants. Plus, we were right on the beach, which made for some pretty amazing mornings! The staff was extraordinary! Any time we stopped at the front desk, the attendants were more than willing to answer any questions we had about the area, including printing out maps. They never once seemed bothered by our questions, which there were many of since we are from a much slower paced and smaller area. I will definitely be staying at the Ocean Palms again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FHL1Love

Reviewed September 30, 2008

This hotel has a wonderful location and a gorgeous lobby and grounds. But do not be fooled. The average room is poorly equipped and downright depressing. During our recent stay we had unwanted visitors...roaches! We checked out a day early and received a bill for a 1 night stay, but my credit card was charged for 2 nights. We had to fight to get a refund! They were not even apologetic for the bugs! They claimed they are not roaches but bugs that come up from the sewer...O.K. that did not make me feel any better! Choose the Carlsbad Terrace Inn instead it has a much better location and nice clean, reasonable rooms!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2008

We had a guaranteed reservation for the two bedroom luxury suite and were given a studio instead. There was a problem with hot water all week during our stay and the maid said it had been an ongoing issue. Obviously they were aware of the problem before they put us in this room and they never fixed it. They said they would give us a $200 refund at check-in, but said "no" at check-out a week later. We had traveled eight hours to get there during high season and had no where else to go. It was a horrible experience. A complaint was filed with the BBB and they would not respond or resolve the issues. We will never go back!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I came in on a Friday night and booked a room for Saturday paid in full then left. I got a call from the front desk saying there was a problem and I may not have a room. They called back shortly and upgraded me at no extra cost. The room was beyond what I had expected. it was amazing , needless to say so was the date.The jucazzi tub was very nice bonus.The staff was extreamly friendly and helpfull. They know my nick name and will have my room ready when I call. I wont stay anywhere else in town.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ElectricBill
Reviewed August 9, 2007

Well I have to say I really thought this was going to be the best vacation of the year. How sadly was I mistaken. When arriving at the Ocean Palms Beach Resort I was so happy to see what a beautiful place this was and directly across from the beach! The outside is great.....then I went into the front office to check in. What a mess! The staff was rude and short. I know we all have bad days but my gosh what was going on in this place of business. Not only were they rude but the profanity was ridiculouse. I had my young niece with me and was horrified with the language that was being used and the disreguard to our pressence. We stayed in a luxury mini suite and our other half of the party stayed in a non remodeled 2 bdr. What a difference in the rooms. One smelled of mold and horrible carpet, furniture, and small TV. The other was very nice with stainless steel and granite. Even thow the luxury room was very nice I would have rather stayed at a Motel 6 than deal with the staff from this place. My god people recognize when a child is present. I wouldn't have my worst enemy stay here.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank kinsyq
Reviewed July 7, 2007

This was the worse place I have ever stayed at. My family and I came across this hotel while visiting Carlsbad, but I did see their Web Site, AAA approval and was gullible enough to believe it would be a good place to stay. We booked for two days in a two bedroom ‘Ocean View Bungalow’ and paid off season price of $179.00 a night. We checked in late and made the mistake of not turning around and running out. The room smelled molded and unclean, carpet and kitchen floor was filthy, heaters did not work, wires hanging from ceiling where smoke alarm should be, tile in bathroom was chipped and pipes exposed. The water in shower did not regulate and I got burned on some very hot water. The next day I went into office with my concerns and request for a one day credit as we did not want to stay another day. The Manager and Owner of this establishment refused to refund my money stating that they require a 72 hour cancellation notice, I did point out that 72 hours ago I did not even know that we was going to be staying there and therefore could not give them notice. I did ask for other accommodations and was refused that also. My family and I were being forced to stay another day in this abhorrent room. This was a lesson learned, we packed up and left. However the Web Site is honest in regards to Amtrak Train Station being only 3 blocks from the hotel, but what they do not tell you that the hotel sits next to the train tracks and is a very short block from rail-road crossing intersection. We went to bed after 11pm – sometime during the late night hour the train came speeding by blasting their whistles - sounded as if the train was coming right into my bedroom and out the other end. As far as the ’Ocean View’ goes we had a wonderful view of the back- side building of someone else’s ocean view. If visiting this town do not stay here. I have stayed at two star hotels and have been treated better, found it cleaner and paid a lot less.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank blujay44
Reviewed June 15, 2007

My family stayed at Ocean Palms for a week and enjoyed the fact that it was so close to the beach, had a pool onsite, and a courtyard where many would gather in the evenings for a drink, to listen to music or play games. But unfortunately the rooms leave a lot to be desired. The room we stayed in was very small, the bed was terribly uncomfortable and left me with a backache, the shower was so small that it was claustrophobic and the television was snapping and sparking everytime we would turn it on, and I was afraid the place was going to catch on fire. When we notified the office of the problem they didn't seem concerned, sent a guy to look at it but never replaced the television. We were actually willing to look past all that because we enjoyed the fact that our room had a porch that faced the ocean (didn't really have an ocean view since a building across the way blocked it) that we enjoyed sitting out on to watch the people go by as we had our coffee in the morning, but unlike most of the places around Carlsbad, this place does not give the people renting the room first dibs on that room for the next year when they reserve it before the end of their stay, and they rented it out from under us. So, we went down the street and found a place even closer to the beach which was much larger for less money. Now I am so glad that we weren't able to rent at Ocean Palms again because the porch was not worth the money we were spending on the place and now my back will not hurt when I wake up in the mornings.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family