“A Funky and Unique Beach Spot”

Ocean Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
San Diego, California
“A Funky and Unique Beach Spot”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Our family has been going to the Oceam Palms for weekly stays for the past 16 years with serveral other families with same aged children. It has been the perfect spot for kids and adults alike. The families still return every summer even though the kids are grown. In fact, the "kids" often join us when they can. They often speak fondly of past memories at the Ocean Palms.

The hotel is funky (old, apartment-like, and not exactly what you might think of as a "resort"or even a hotel). Half of the hotel rooms were remodeled several years ago, but for some reason the rest of the rooms were not. The un-remodeled rooms look their age but they are clean. The hotel has a pretty courtyard with plenty of tables and chairs and lighted fire pits at night. Many families barbeque and eat out on the patio. The hotel is not directly on the beach, however, you only have to cross a small street to get to the sand. The staff is generally friendly and responsive. Be warned that the streets around the hotel can get pretty noisy at night and affect sleep. The garbage trucks have a tendancy to pick up very early in the mornings, as well. Parking can be a hassle on weekends.

Overall, the rates are rather expensive for the quality. But there is something about this funky place in Carlsbad. Maybe it's its great location to restaurants, shops, and the Coaster. The beaches here are beautiful and family friendly. The Ocean Palms is just a unique and always fun place to stay, different from the typical resorts in the area. We keep coming back year after year!

Room Tip: The best rooms are the remodeled ones but they are more expensive.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Sun City, California
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We had a lovely stay at Ocean Palms Beach Resort so tranquil and great location. Walking distance to restaurants and town, beach right down the steps from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beach093
Merced, California
Reviewed July 18, 2011

the location was just perfect! my family and I were treated so very well. We'll be back in the near future if our travels take us that way.

Room Tip: ask for the best room, if its available, its yours.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hank079
Saugus, California
Reviewed July 16, 2011

This hotel is a gem in Carlsbad. We vacation a couple times a year in Carlsbad, but the hotel we noramlly stay in was booked so we thought we'd give Ocean Palms a try - we were very happy we did. The front desk staff are all very helpful and friendly. The grounds are so clean and lush - just beautiful! The rooms were very nice and clean - the kids slept on a pull-out, they said the mattress was uncomfortable, but aren't all pull-outs? Our mattress was fine. The only small problem was that we had to circle the property a few times to find parking, which was not on the property, but the area is so safe that we didn't mind leaving our car down the street - plus there is no charge for parking which is a huge bonus. We will be back to this hotel for sure in the future!

1 Thank ChrisB1968
Arcadia, California
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I had to make a last minute reservation for a business trip in Carlsbad, and my usual hotels-- Residence Inn, West Inn, and Carlsbad Inn--were all booked solid. I decided to give the Ocean Palms Beach Resort a try.

I arrived in the late afternoon and noticed right away that parking is very limited here. Fortunately, one of the employees was just about to leave and let me have her parking spot. My first impression of the property itself was that calling it a "resort" would be a bit of an overstatement. It has the look and feel more of a nicely landscaped apartment building rather than a true beach resort, although it is directly across the street from the beach.

The room I reserved was one of the studio suites on the second floor. I'll start by listing some of the more positive things about it. The size of the room and the overall level of cleanliness were certainly adequate. There was a comfortable king-size bed, a small flat screen TV, a kitchenette with a full-sized regrigerator and freezer, and a brown leather sofa--all in decent condition. Best of all, I could see the ocean from my window and the sound of the waves was very relaxing

On the negative side, the room lacked some basic amenities that even a Motel 6 or Super 8 would have. There was no shampoo and no hair dryer in the bathroom. I thought maybe the hair dryer would be located somewhere else in the room, but I checked every area thoroughly with no luck. There were also no pant hangers in the closet. I asked one of the front desk staff if she had any extra pant hangers but she couldn't find any. Moreover, when I asked for a wake up call, the staff member informed me that the "resort" doesn't do wake up calls. There was some type of digital clock gizmo in the room, but it was not very intuitive in terms of setting up the alarm component. Fortunately, I got up in time anyway in the morning, but the whole experience was bit frustrating.

All of these little nuisances may not seem like much; however, considering I was paying over $220.00 a night, I thought it was unacceptable that a place advertising itself as a "beach resort" would not provide such basic items and services in all its rooms. From what I understand, the one and two bedroom suites are much nicer and feature more amenities. Still, if you really want to be near the beach in Carlsbad, I think you would be much better off going to the nearby Carlsbad Inn or the Beach Terrace Inn.

One thing is for sure. Even though this place is okay for a one or two night stay, I would never consider returning here. Of the four hotels I've tried in Carlsbad, this one is easily the least satisfying and the worst value for the money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I went to Ocean Palms Beach Resort to take a break from the hustle and bustle of my daily life in downtown San Diego. It was so nice to be a quick drive from home, yet in a relaxing environment that I could enjoy with a couple of friends. The room was updated and clean, and the location steps away from the beach was just what I needed.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank FrdcC
Redlands, California
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Our family of 5 adults and 1 infant stayed here for the weekend in a luxury 2 bedroom suite. The place has beautiful garden scenery. I was a bit reluctant when I read they were dog friendly, but the grounds were very well maintained with lovely flowers and tropical plants everywhere. Their gardeners do a fantastic job- no smells and they spray the fake grass/ turf daily to keep it clean. It looks beautiful at night with all of the lights and the bonfires. The pool/jacuzzi area is also pretty with lots of chairs. I loved that the pool had warm water.
Our luxury 2 bedroom suite had a queen bed in each room that was very comfortable. The down comforters were a plus. My older son was assigned the sofa bed. He said it was very uncomfortable and slept on the floor instead. When I looked at the mattress I could see the springs popping out. Having the convenience of a kitchen with an infant is a must. It was very cute with everything we needed to make a great pancake breakfast. I learned it takes longer to cook on an electric stove. The bathroom was just ok. It was modern and the shower had 2 shower heads. I would not recommend this 2 bedroom luxury suite for 3 couples because it was way to small. It was a bit cramped when we were all in the living room/kitchen and very inconvenient to have just 1 bathroom.
The place is in a good location across the street from the beach. There are lots of shops and restaurants within a short walking distance. We walked late at night and found it to be a safe with police patrolling the streets. The only thing we did not find close to us was a market. There was a small liquor store close, but it didn't have much. Albertson's supermarket is about a mile away. We were unable to find parking at check-in time on the weekend. We had to park 1 block away which made it difficult with unloading. After the beach-goers leave for the day all of the parking spots opened up and we moved our car close to the room.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would return.

Room Tip: Beware of sleeping on a sofa bed in the 2 bdrm ste
2 Thank TravelingRN