“Roach motel?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Denver, Colorado
“Roach motel?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I read the review prior to our stay. Some mentioned that the rooms smelled funny and I thought so too but nothing to be concerned about, just a kind of old smell. The rooms have been updated with newer fixtures, toilet, flat screen tv, etc. The room and bathroom were clean and we enjoyed our night stay. As we were packing my husband noticed the biggest cock roach he has ever seen and that is saying a lot since we are from Houston TX. Roach motel?, probably not but I don't think I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank tluedtke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel/timeshare unit is across from a busy street, not directly on the beach like many other options in Carlsbad. We stayed 4 nights and our room was extremely small. The rec room is a nice addition because our kids enjoyed it. The location was pretty good. Not far to many good restaurants. Unfortunately it was just a very average stay. The front staff almost never acknowledged our presence. Hotel rooms are only the 1st floor, so you can't possibly move up, and the first floor street view would be so noisy. A free breakfast is provided but it is essentially just carbs, we generally made our way down to Daily News or Café Elysa. At almost 200 a night, I definitely expected better. Housekeeping was great.

Room Tip: King rooms near the hallway are really small.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DestinationAZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the reviews. A beach view , location sounded great. What they don't show is the pictures the highway in between you and the beach. I thought I would be able to sit on the balcony and enjoy my ocean view with my husband for our anniversary. Well my room was on a corner next to a very busy crosswalk and stoplight, room113. At all times there were droves of people who could literally stare into my room. The stoplight and people kept me from enjoying my balcony. When I called to switch rooms the hotel was full so I was stuck there. Then to make matters worse it was so loud due to the yelling people walking by outside in and out of the hotel , and cars and loud motorcycles it was almost impossible to sleep. This went on most of the night. Paper walls. It was a good location to walk to restraints and right across the street from the beach which was great, but if your looking for a comfortable nights sleep and a date with with a loved one skip this hotel. And do not get stuck on that corner , it really ruined the room. Still waiting for a manager to call me. The person at the front desk said she wished she could do something for me but I had to talk to the manager. I really feel like I paid for a miserable nights sleep with no nice ocean view. I feel ripped off.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Amanda951
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked this because it is within walking distance of my son 's house. The price is $150/ night and I wasn't expecting much for that price, given the location! It turned out to be great. Right across the street from the water, within walking distance of all sorts of great restaurants, clean and neat, large room with refrigerator and 2 queen beds!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank AnnHankinson
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel is half hotel, half timeshare condos. Great location right across the street from the beach, very nice accomodations. Not the fanciest rooms, but good enough. Nice, clean, and spacious. The ocean view rooms are so nice! Large balcony. They have a nice heated pool with two jacuzzis, Recreation room, barbecues, and nice courtyards. Lovely resort and my family and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lavarock777
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a lovely place to stay. We stayed just one night before flying back home (Australia), but wish it was longer.

Beautiful, comfy foyer upon walking in makes you feel very welcome. We were greeted by a very pleasant Staff upon checkin and check out.

We were on 1st floor around the corner, and still had a lovely ocean view.
Room was huge. There were 2 Queen size beds, and plenty of room to walk around.
Very clean.
Very comfy bed.
Good shower.
Lovely range of fragrant toiletries.
Wi-fi, parking and continental breakfast included.

We recommend anyone who stays there to watch the beautiful sunset over the Pacific Ocean.

Carlsbad is a beautiful little place along the coast, and you won't be disappointed on the ocean drive from LA to San Diego.

Would we stay there again?? YES in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 23ros
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We loved the ocean view from our room. The sunsets were amazing. Easy walk from hotel to cute downtown Carlsbad. My only complaint is that the desk charged my credit card an extra $40 in case of any incidentals. They said the charge would be removed 2 days after check out. I don't know what incidentals they are talking about; the minibar is not stocked.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank NoraFaye
TamarackBeachResort, Front Office Manager at Tamarack Beach Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
We wanted to thank you for your recent review as we appreciate all feedback. The staff is delighted that you were able to enjoy the majestic Pacific Ocean from right inside your hotel room. We look forward to seeing you again soon!