Stayed at this hotel for 3nts just after Christmas to visit Legoland with my 4yr old.
- Location: 1-2 miles from Legoland & the beach, just across the street from lots of food choices at the Outlets
- Comfortable bed
- Good sized room, nice balcony, nice landscaping
- fridge, microwave, coffee maker
- Decent wireless
- Free parking close to the room
- Decent water pressure, lots of hot water
- "hot" breakfast items were terrible - worse than fast food - "omelettes" with American cheese & sausage patties were inedible (and we're not a picky bunch) - the other items were fine: small yoplait yogurts (1-2 flavors), cereal, packet oatmeals, bread/bagels/english muffins, apples/oranges/bananas, juice, etc - but I really was hoping for a decent warm breakfast (could have gotten the other items with virtually any other chain hotel)
- Legoland shuttle - this was actually just a 6 passenger van that starts shuttle service at 9am for approx 2hrs, then a return service around 6pm for 2hrs (otherwise you need to call to schedule a pick-up, approx wait time 30min) - there were WAY too many families all leaving for Legoland in the morning, making the shuttle a bit ridiculous (we could have easily been waiting over an hour) - they provided walking directions which were simple, so we walked the 15min to Legoland (had I known we weren't going to take a shuttle I would have definitely brought our stroller)
- Maid service: first day there we were gone 6hrs (9-3) - no one came to clean the room, the following day we were gone 10hrs, they straightened up but didn't clean the mugs or cups or coffee maker
- the pool was only semi-heated, unfortunately too cold for my 4yr old, although lots of older kids seemed to enjoy it
Overall the real reasons I choose this hotel was for the hot breakfast and shuttle service - both of which were complete disappointments. We paid just over $107/nt (taxes not included). The location is great, the room was reasonably comfortable - for a cheaper room rate I might stay here again, but would probably look at other options in Carlsbad first.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy your best vacation - a vacation in Carlsbad California is like no other in the world. And choosing Carlsbad by the Sea Resort guarantees the perfect location for a fun-filled experience for the whole family. LEGOLAND(R) California Resort is located just a mile away and Carlsbad by the Sea Resort is a designated LEGOLAND "Preferred Hotel." We offer special packages that include hotel rooms, tickets to the theme park, and a shuttle ride to the entrance after you enjoy a full American breakfast. Carlsbad by the Sea is centrally located to everything the San Diego region has to offer. You are only 30 miles from the San Diego Zoo, the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park and SeaWorld. Pristine Carlsbad beaches or a game of golf are just minutes away. Spend time relaxing at the resort, walking on 22 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, and playing and exercising in our year-round outdoor heated pool, Jacuzzi and fitness center. And when it is time to dine, More than a dozen popular restaurant choices are within walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Carlsbad by the Sea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlsbad By The Sea Hotel Carlsbad
- Holiday Inn Carlsbad
- Carlsbad Holiday Inn