“Carslbad By the Sea Resort”

Carlsbad by the Sea Resort
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Kent
“Carslbad By the Sea Resort”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is an amazing property! I loved every detail of staying here. Front desk staff was so very helpful. Let us check in early. Room was beautifully decorated and had many little touches that made it stand out. Very comfortable beds.Room had a balcony and chairs that overlooked the immaculate grounds and pool. Pool was spacious and inviting. Excellent breakfast, lots of variety, hot food choices and large dining area. Close to everything with large outlet mall and restaurants across the street. Good restaurant adjacent to the hotel. Less then 5 minutes to Legoland. By far the nicest place we have ever stayed for under $90 a night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrea N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Stayed for one night and at first I was worried about the negative reviews but I had a open mind. Location was great, right across from all restaurants and shops. Room was nice, clean and updated. I requested a room with more quite and they gave me the 2nd floor. Breakfast was complementary but I wish they would have a better selection than just a few items. But I didn't mind. Overall it was a nice place.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Gary W
Davis, California, United States
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I was extremely disappointed by the hotel's front desk person. Our room was not cleaned and needed fresh towels. When my wife called the front desk, the clerk was not immediately apologetic and instead referred to Housekeeping's records which claimed our "Do Not Disturb" sign was displayed. We were gone from 9:30am until 4:00pm, so this didn't make much sense to me.

My wife let the lack of room cleaning go and simply asked for fresh towels. We were told they would be immediately delievered.

We went out to dinner and came back two hours only to find that the towels had not been delivered. I went to the front desk myself and again the desk clerk pulled out Housekeeping's records and insisted to me that our room wasn't cleaned because the "Do Not Disturb" sign was displayed. I told her that this was immaterial at this point and that we asked for fresh towels, were told we would get them, and hadn't received them yet. I said I wanted them immediately and returned to my room. Five mintues later they arrived.

I understand that mistakes happen, but it seems to me that customer service should aim to insure a positive experience. The clerk was unfriendly, slightly argumentative, and far from helpful. Regardless of what their cleaning records say, shouldn't she have only been concerned about our room needs?

Truth be said: she was a jerk and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is my 2nd time staying here, loved the service and location was great, right across from an outlet mall, within walking distance, and only a 2 minute drive to LegoLand. The only down side is it's a 2 storey building, but no elevators, so if you have large/heavy luggages, you should get some help because I almost fell back down the stairs while trying to haul my luggage up the stairs. First morning while getting ready to head out, spotted a cockroach on the mirror frame, freaked me out and had to kill it with my shoe and left the remains on the tile floor because I was too scared to clean it, but they cleaned it for me when they did the whole room, which is good, didn't see anymore during my stay.
Serves breakfast, not much to choose from but good enough to start the day, they have toasts, oatmeals, eggs, sausages, yogurts, cereals, milk, tea, coffee, juice, apples, oranges, and bananas, so depending the combination, it can be a very nutritious breakfast.
Staff was friendly and helpful, parking and internet was free, very quiet neighborhood and very little disturbance.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Over the years, I've worked with many hotels for our team soccer tournaments...most group reps have been wonderful in helping us with our group needs...however, I can't say that about Cindy Cooper in Group Sales Unfortunately she seemed irritated with requests and eventually responded by totally ignoring calls or emails, which I found very unprofessional...she sadly lacked the heart & art of customer service.

Our soccer team did stay here and fortunately our experience at the hotel was much better than my experience working with Cindy.

The gal who checked me in at the front desk was nice. Rooms were clean, beds were decently comfortable. Some mild noise from outside traffic and refrigerator. Enjoyed the room balcony with chairs that overlooked the lawn. Hotel is conveniently located across from the Carlsbad Shopping Outlet (which the girls loved). Good range of different eateries in the area, including TGIF's which is right on the property. I didn't use the pool, nor did I have the free continental breakfast, so I can't comment on that.

I would have ranked Carlsbad By the Sea Resort higher, but since customer service is a big part of the experience, it brought it down a notch or two.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed at this hotel twice we love the location, it's across the outlet mall and a lot of restaurants nearby. The rooms are ok it could use some updating, the staff are helpful and friendly. Free breakfast every morning from 6:30-9:30am. We will stay here again cause we just love love the location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dunchideock, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2011

A one night work stop over with the outlet mall and a number of restaurants all within walking distance is a plus. The name suggests it is on the beach but I 5 sits between the hotel and the ocean so if you want to sit by the pool be prepared for the noise! Overall functional with very god service from the front desk

• Stayed November 2011