All reviews breakfast room waffle maker boiled eggs make your own waffles free breakfast light sleeper bed was comfortable convenient location lego land my son freeway cereal noise legoland carpet refrigerator cons
Reviewed February 10, 2016

I travel to Carlsbad every single week and stay one or two nights. Recently, I've been encouraged by my management to explore budget hotels, and so I've been trying out different budget properties in the area.

I am not new to budget hotels nor do I think I'm a snob. If you check out my other reviews, you'll see that I have from time to time stayed in budget properties and have thought very highly of them. When staying at a budget property I adjust my judgement accordingly as you cannot have the same expectations of a 1 or 2 star property as you can of a 3 to 5 star property.

I'm afraid that the Econo Lodge, for which I had great expectations based on TripAdvisor reviews was a big disappointment.

The room was OK, but a bit stark. I think the most jarring thing I found was the lack of lamps. All of the lighting was from overhead CFLs. The stark overhead white lighting makes the room seem a bit like a prison cell or the waiting area at the DMV. After a long day at work, I found it a bit depressing.

The room was clean which was a good thing, and the bed was comfortable.

The bathroom and sink area were clean and fine. The water was hot and the water pressure in the shower was quite good.

The hotel is quite near I-5 and you can hear the road noise. That doesn't necessarily bother me, but I mention it because it may bother others. I turned on the fan to drown it out a bit.

In the morning, at about 5:30 AM, I went to the office to get my bill, which I needed for my expenses. Since it was locked, I rang the bell. No one came. I returned at 6:00 AM and rang the bell again, this time someone came and I got my bill. I asked when breakfast was available and I was told that it would be available at 7:15 AM. This was far too late for me since I could not wait around for an hour and wanted to get to my office by 8. The person on duty told me that there was coffee in the small lobby. He unlocked the door and I grabbed a cup of coffee. It was cold and was probably a day old.

I can't otherwise comment on the breakfast because I never got to experience it.

I don't want to say that my experience at the Econo Lodge, Carlsbad was terrible, because it wasn't, it just wasn't very good.

I can't recommend it for a budget business traveler because it just doesn't seem to work well for those on a work schedule.

It is clean and bed is comfortable, so it has that going in its favor. I suppose, for those looking for a cheap vacation home base in the area, or a stop on the road it would be fine. I would also stay here again, IF my other choices in hotels were not available, but I would not choose to stay here otherwise.

As all reviews are personal, this is only my point of view. The hotel certainly has plenty of positive reviews, so they must be pleasing a segment of customers.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back further away from the road.
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled on business
2  Thank iankh
3paresh, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Near Legoland, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2016

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is most disappointing to hear of your overall dissatisfaction and we are truly sorry you found the level of service you received less than satisfactory. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.
econolodge inn suites carlsbad ca

Reviewed February 1, 2016

My experience was good, we got a room across the street from the fwy second floor, it got a little loud at night. breakfast can be better, perhaps offer a hot diish option, such as egss, sausage, with potatos. Rooms are clean, up to date features, great staff ( kid friendly), they will allow you to check in before 3pm. easy accesess to 5 fwy, good location for state cup tournament and Lego Land.

Room Tip: 2 rooms, 2 queen beds and a xtra bed. (room is large enough to fit an inflatable mattress if needed)
Stayed: February 2016, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3paresh, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Near Legoland, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review econolodge inn suties carlsbad I am so happy that you found us as well! We are looking forward to welcoming you back as often as you like.

You did a fantastic job detailing our dedication to our guests. A lot of thought has been put into the details, the upkeep of the grounds, and ensuring that all the wonderful amenities.
thanks once agian.
ECONOLODGE INN SUITES CARLSBAD

Reviewed January 19, 2016

Similar to so many other reviews of this property, my family stayed here as part of a short Legoland trip. The location was vey convenient - just off Interstate 5 and approximately 10 minutes from Legoland while being very close to local businesses, including a grocery store and a pizza restaurant.

What first struck me about the hotel was its cleanliness. It's one of the cleanest hotels I have ever seen. Check in was pleasant, the staff was friendly, and the room was more spacious than other similar hotels. Curiously, the in-room coffee maker, one of the staples of hotels, was missing. Perhaps this was an oversight. However, the room included a microwave and generously-sized refrigerator, allowing the option to save some money on food by buying microwavable meals from the nearby grocery store.

The beds were a bit firmer that I liked for my comfort, although I was the only one to complain. The property is very well soundproofed - even though the busy interstate was right outside, I heard barely a whisper.

Complimentary continental breakfast was served in a room on the opposite end of the property. The room was again immaculate but small, although it seemed able to handle guest demand. My family has been spoiled by the free continental breakfasts at La Quinta, so we were a little bit disappointed that there were no hard boiled eggs or bagels with cream cheese. However, there were make-your-own waffles, fresh pastries, and a good selection of cold cereal, although the coffee could have used a bit more flavor.

Overall, our experience was a very pleasant one. The room was spacious and comfortable, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was more than adequate. We would certainly recommend it to anyone traveling to Legoland who needs a clean place to spend the night that doesn't cost very much.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review

You did a fantastic job detailing our dedication to our guests. A lot of thought has been put into the details, the upkeep of the grounds, and ensuring that all the wonderful amenities, that other hotels may charge for, are included.

Reviewed January 16, 2016

I stayed at this hotel on New Years eve and the place is STILL a GREAT place, very clean, comfortable and quite. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel if you need a nice place to stay in the area that is reasonably priced.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled solo
3paresh, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Near Legoland, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2016

Thank you for sharing this positive feedback with us. We enjoy reading about our guests positive experiences, and we are glad that you found our facilities and staff to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back soon, so that we can continue to provide a brilliant experience!
ECONOLODGE INN & SUITES CARLSBAD

Reviewed January 7, 2016

I have stayed in a 2 Queen bed room. Rooms, property itself are clean. Beds are comfortable. Breakfast have 4-types of cereals, cold milk, bread for toast, hot waffles, muffins, juice, coffee. Mostly carb and sugar stuff. No protein. Not even boiled eggs.
This property is adjacent to I-5. You are prone to hear all the wax and wane of traffic noise. The only way to overcome is to turn on the fan/cool/heat continuously. So I would avoid this property if I can get somewhere calm.

• Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family
1  Thank Ravi V
3paresh, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Near Legoland, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am so sorry for the inconveniences that were caused to you and your family as result of the issues you encountered. Rest assured we will be utilizing your feedback to address and make improvements in those areas you mentioned. Your patronage is greatly valued and appreciated and we do hope that we can earn another opportunity to provide you with future accommodations. Thank you for being our guest.
ECONOLODGE INN & SUITES CARLSBAD