“I guess it was clean once”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Near Legoland
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bay Area, California
“I guess it was clean once”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We booked here because of all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. If it weren't for the photos, I'd think I had the wrong hotel. It seems from the reviews that the motel was renovated somewhat recently, but careless maintenance has really begun to take its toll. It's not clean anymore.

The lobby smells strongly of many, many curry meals. I like curry as much as the next guy, but I like my hotel lobbies to have a nice or at least neutral smell.

The facility is fair. It's a motor lodge. It's slightly nicer than basic on the outside. There's some attractive landscaping, and our room was large. That's about all I have to say that's positive.

The room was not clean. It just seemed grimy. The dresser was apparently broken, because the drawers wouldn't remain closed. The vacuuming of the room was poor. There was small debris everywhere. The grout was yucky. See my photos. I could have lived with it, but the bathroom smelled strongly of human sweat. Also, the soap dishes in the shower were full of puddles of water.

The room's phone didn't work. We had to call the lobby from our cell phones.

"Breakfast" was unhygienic and unappealing. The waffle batter came from a dispenser. A cup was placed underneath to use to pour batter in the waffle irons. The cup is intended for all guests to use. This means that it sits out on the counter, crusty with old batter, from 7 am - 10 am. The hard boiled eggs were carelessly peeled and just thrown into a small case. They seemed dirty & old. See my photo.

There are no channels for children on TV. No Nickelodeon/Nick Jr/Disney Channel. They have Cartoon Network, but it becomes Adult Swim in the evening, so there's nothing for kids to watch. It's inconvenient, because it's nice to have the little ones watch some TV quietly while the grown ups get ready, relax in the evenings, etc. It's penny-pinching thoughtlessness not to spring for children's TV.

My husband went to the office to request two extra pillows. He only got one. There are also no laundry bags, no shower caps... The toiletries are the cheapest and crappiest I've ever seen. They sell advertising space on the very room keys to local businesses. The owner tried to upsell us to a bigger room when we checked in, and tried to get us to stay an additional night when we checked out. Basically, it seems like every possible corner to cut is cut. Every possible way to squeeze out more money from the property is exploited. I got no sense that guests were a priority.

We considered switching hotels, but they actually charged the full amount for our stay, all 4 nights, when we checked in, rather than upon checkout. We felt like we were being held hostage. I'm certain that getting a refund from them would be easier said than done. It's not a corporate property. This is one of the problems with staying at a mom & pop place. If we had known it was, we would have stayed somewhere else.

In the morning, my husband went to request a room change but there was no one available who could help us. One of the owner's young adult children was manning the front desk and said that he couldn't do anything for us, and that the owner wouldn't be available for a half hour or so. So unprofessional.

So we eventually changed rooms. The owner showed me the new room. At first glance, it seemed cleaner than the previous one. Just for yuks, I asked her how often the duvet covers were changed. She actually said that men & women may "be together" and dirty the cover, so they change it after every guest. She didn't seem truthful. I believe my suspicions are borne out, because not only are the duvets dingy looking and not fresh smelling, I saw no evidence of the them being changed. Sheets and towels were on the housekeeping carts, and the MASSIVE dirty laundry hampers are placed outside, right in the middle of the guest area, directly beside the pool & vending/ice machines. See my photo. There are NO duvet covers in the hampers.

In the new room, I was doing a bedbug check (none evident) and discovered a large, coffee & milk colored, sticky splatter on the blanket. See my photo. The "housekeeper" was in the next room, so I asked her to please change the blanket to a clean one. She looked me dead in the eye and stated defiantly, "This is clean." I was flabbergasted. I said that no, it wasn't clean, it was a sticky spill, possibly coffee or something. She amazingly replied, "No. This is clean. It's not coffee." I asked her to change it anyway. She did, but did not fully remake the bed. Just put a new blanket on and walked out with a little bit of an attitude.

When we returned to our room in the evening, there was still debris on the floor around the beds. Corners are not vacuumed nor cleaned in this motel.

This was supposed to be a fun Legoland vacation, but we're exhausted. I'm very angry. I'm frustrated also, because there is no corporate management that could have helped us, just the very clueless owner.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank LadyToad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
sun valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Friendly staff. Hotel was clean. Enjoyed our stay =)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank alicia i
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I arrived at this hotel after a long drive in from Las Vegas. I arrived early and was welcomed with my reserved room early. I had a second floor room just above the pool. The room was very large as previously mentioned by others. We used the pool the following days during our stay. The pool was small but good for us since we almost always had it to ourselves. I just want to mention something that I found to be rather strange. The hotel management does not have enough room in the breakfast area to allow everyone to sit. This is not uncommon but hers the strange part. You are forbidden to take food to your room to eat. If you were not already aware they provide a refrigerator for you to store your own food and eat it in the room. I must say its a strange policy but they have it for a reason and apologized for the problem it caused our family. The hotel is near a Von's grocery store where you can buy groceries if you want to east in your room. Its also near the beach. Under a two minute drive. Its also just a few short minutes from Legoland. I would definitly stary here again without a doubt. In closing they do offer two on site washers and dryers which I used without any problems and I did not feel that the roadway noise was a issue since I was furthest from the road near the pool.

Room Tip: Second Floor away from the road is nice because its quiter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Borus
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at this property. The rooms are large, very clean and well maintained, the bed was quite comfy, the staff is nice and efficient, the location is right off I-5 for easy access and about one mile inland form the beach. If you have kids and want to see Legoland, it's quite close. There's a Von's grocery, Rite Aide and gas station/convenience store close for any needs you have. Rooms are equipped with microwave and fridge. Free Wifi. We did not use the pool, but it did look well maintained and clean. We like that this hotel/motel is small and two floors. Because it's near the interstate and has outdoor access to your room (versus being an enclosed hotel) it's quaint and feels more secure because you can see entire parking lot as well as check out the surroundings. Don't misunderstand my comment as a "safety concern", we felt very safe in this hotel and had no reason to be concerned about our safety. The property is not huge and therefore has a cozy and community feel to it that's perfect for a beach town. We'd easily stay here again. Good reviews helped to secure our confidence for a sight unseen hotel booking. Happy to report that we are not disappointed in any way.

Room Tip: Chose a second floor room that faces north (highway to the west). The noise isn't bad, just not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ckingw
Gold Canyon, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

What a charming little roadside place !
My husband and especially enjoyed the staff.
Owners are so wise to invest in its people! Hanna even made tea for my husband.
I found an ad in a San Diego Magazine and called. The only question I ask was 'IS this place clean."? WOW! Clean it was. I was also nervous about freeway noise. We heard nothing!.
Thanks for the pleasant stay and nice surprise. We will be back for a week next summer.

Room Tip: close to the pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathryn L
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I previously read about this hotel on tripadvisor before booking. It was everything the reviews said it was, clean, friendly management, good value, spacious room and good location. I even asked if it were possible to check into our room 2 hours early and we were accomodated.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Darlene B
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel several times now and I find the hotel to be clean and convenient. The hotel is value priced. I found my room very spacious and comfortable. I slept well and then enjoyed the simple but wholesome breakfast. I have stayed here previously and will be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo