“Unauthorized charges”

Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Rooms are dark and have a musty, dank odor. I was charged $100 smoking fee... I have never smoked. Thank goodness I use Amex. They are taking it off my statement. This is just an old, outdated hotel. They have not replaced the carpets or drapes since I first stayed there in 1989. The grounds are beautiful and some fair restaurants are within walking distance. There is no room service and parking is a nightmare. The Four Seasons is just up the road and only $100 a night more. I won't be going back...

1  Thank Anita S

Reviewed August 26, 2008

Our stay at Carlsbad Inn was great! The Hotel room was big, very clean. We didn't stay in the Timeshare condo's, but individuals that were staying for the week said it was very nice. The Front desk personnel were very friendly and fast to check us in. The grounds & pool area were nice. The Mexican restaurant next door was fabulous, and the beach is across the street. They have underground parking for the Hotel/resort guests. We recommend anybody staying in North San Diego to stay at Carlsbad Inn. Carlsbad is a great resort town. Only 25 minutes to San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sunlvr2SanDiego_Ca
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We stayed for a week and booked it through resorttime.com. The place is run down. The pictures on this website looks a lot better than the real place. There tons of lawn chairs in the lawn. If you like people running around and like to stay at Motel 6, then this is the place. However, if you pay $350/nt and expect to stay at a 5 star resort. This is not the place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank NoodleHouse
Reviewed July 22, 2008

My husband and I just got back from a little weekend getaway. A week prior I was able to book a condo for just one night on the website although I'd been told when I called on the phone that they were fully booked with nothing available. Their minimum stay is usually a week, but if you are interested in a shorter time, as we were, then you might try for it.

Try to get a unit on the 2nd or 3rd floor. (There is an elevator.)

We were given a condo on the ground floor in the north wing. From the lanai area we could see a small patch of blue that was the ocean. We were told that all the units have just side views because of the way the buildings are situated. I am sure though, now that we have seen the layout, that the upper floors will have much better unobstructed views. There are other houses and condos between the Carlsbad Inn Condos and the ocean which obstructed our view, but the walk to the beach is not at all far.

As a previous reviewer wrote, there was a musty smell in the condo they rented, and we found it to be the case with ours, too. This must be a result of being so near the ocean and of the landscape watering. After we came into our unit each time, we just opened up the sliders onto the lanai and the bedroom windows, and the smell dissipated somewhat.

The only other negative I have for you TripAdvisor readers would be the noise. There were tons of rambunctious children running wild in this place! "Quiet hours" were a misnomer as thoughtless parents let their kids run squealing and yelling through the hallways, up and down the stairs, and in the common areas until about 11 p.m. Because of the building layout, the sound was magnified and echoed off the walls. We could hear every word of conversations that took place in the common area, although we did not hear noises through the walls of adjoining condos.

Another small annoyance was that the sprinklers were set to go on at 11:30 pm. They were watering the landscaped area right outside our bedroom window which was open due to the musty smell. The noise from the sprinklers woke us up again after the kids had stopped rampaging through the halls. (Noise from the street was not a problem though as the bedroom faced the common area in the interior of the buildings.) Getting a unit on on the 2nd or 3rd floor should help with the noise factor.

Positives include the location of the Carlsbad Inn and its condos. The beach and the village are right there within walking distance. Another positive was eating dinner at Norte (sometimes called Fidel's) which is right on the premises. The food was really good. Surprisingly good was the chicken soup which I would never think to order except that it was highly recommended by Natasha when she checked us in to the hotel. Natasha is another positive, by the way!

If you're still with me and reading this, and you'd like a breakfast recommendation: try Don's Country Kitchen (Roosevelt and Grand). They open at 7 a.m. so if you are early risers like we are, and you love good food, then you'll love Don's.

Oh and also: when we were walking back and forth to the beach, we noticed two condo buildings that were closer to the beach, had better views, and were worth investigating. They are the SeaBreeze Condos and the Beach Walk Condos. This morning I looked at their websites, and I think we will try staying at one of those next time we need a quick weekend getaway.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My family and I stayed there for just 2 nights, and we were glad to get out. While the landscaping was beautiful, the units were dark, old and worn. We had a one-bedroom condo which had a small kitchen, though we didn't use it at all. Our room smelled musty, and no matter what we did, the smell stayed in the room. In fact, I think my husband got sick from it -- really sick. We were very disappointed because we had been looking forward to staying there, given how beautiful it looked.

The sales staff did try to get us to buy a timeshare, but no thank you. We did win a raffle at the "welcome breakfast" (translation: timeshare sales pitch) though. By the way, the lounge/library had that same musty smell.

We booked the room through Resortime.com and it came with 1 free breakfast and 1 free dinner at local eateries which was handy. We tried the Mexican place adjacent to the hotel and we didn't care for it very much. The breakfast at adjacent cafe was pretty good, but be prepared for long lines.

The hotel has an excellent location -- in the heart of town and right by the ocean, but we were so turned off by the room, we're not going back.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank WLAMom
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I needed to get out of Silicon Valley for the weekend to get some fresh air and personal time, and I bee-lined straight for Carlsbad. I didn't have a place lined up, so I just drove up the coast and waited for a hotel to strike me as the right place to stay. The Carlsbad Inn seemed perfect for its proximity to shops, restaurants, and most importantly, the beach. I also loved the generally cheery atmosphere that you feel immediately as you walk onto the grounds. It is full of vacationing families from Arizona and other parts of California, and everyone is in a happy, relaxed mood. Since I work in tech in Silicon Valley and am surrounded by 22 year old tech-obsessed engineers all the time, I found it really refreshing to be around happy beach-going families for a change.

The room was very cute. As others have described, the furnishing is a throwback to the 80s, but everything is well-kept and comfortable. Again, I found it kind of refreshing to see some solid English-style chintz decor in contrast to all the mod, sleek furniture at most nice hotels these days.

You can walk to the beach in a couple minutes, which you should do, obviously. At night, I recommend the Cantina on the property for good margaritas and San Diego style Mexican food and atmosphere (which is to say, not authentically Mexican, but good and fun just the same).

Really, nothing to dislike about this place. It isn't hip, but that is a good thing if what you're looking for is a good old beach vacation in San Diego. There's nothing better than that, really, and I say that after having been all over the world.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank kaytchinha
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Very nice stay at the Carlsbad Inn. Very family friendly. Older but very clean. Nice walk to beach and the Village. We really liked their beach service: umbrellas, beach chairs, sand toys, boggie boards. All nice, clean and new. Not rusty and used looking. The beach was fun, lots of surfers, pretty crowded, so not a secluded beach. This resort would not be ideal for honeymooners or for a quite weekend for couples. More for families. Great time and we would go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed: June 2008