“Sunday Lunch”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Fresh Shark - I ate here today with a friend and loved the experience. I had the Fresh Shark platter. My friend had the Sea Bass platter. Both orders were taken promptly with a professional and courteous attendant. The orders were quickly prepared and served to us at our indoor table. Both orders were delicious!
The ambiance is that of a beach shack with Caribbean music and surf video playing on a big screen. The entire restaurant appeared extremely clean and professionally run. A large selection of iced sea food is displayed for take home, too.
I would definitely eat here again and recommend to anyone liking seafood.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very casual, friendly place, super fresh fish and priced reasonably. I had shrimp taco and clam chowder, both of which were excellent. It was my first time there and would go back again.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

While camping this week at Carlsbad State Park we went to Pelly's on a recommendation from a friend in Scottsdale. We wanted to have fresh fish to cook at the campsite so we went to Pelly's to see what was available. Pelly's is both a fresh fish market and cafe so you can either buy fish and take it home or order and eat there. On the first night we bought a 2 pound piece of white seabass ($16.95/lb) and grilled it on our charcoal grill. The fish was perfect for the grill and maintained its structure during cooking. After grilling we added a parsley compound butter and a little lemon. The fish was delicious and so we decided right then that we would return the next day for more fresh fish.

The next day we decided that we wanted to try a wider variety of the fresh fish so we ordered swordfish ($21.95/lb), yellowtail ($9.95/lb), and black seabass ($16.95/lb). We again grilled all the fish and couldn't decide which we liked the best as they were all spectacular. At that point we knew that on future trips we will make a beeline for Pelly's and once again enjoy their wonderful fish.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were visiting Oceanside and I had decided I wanted to grill some fish so I researched all the places near us where I could get some good fresh fish. Pelly's Fish Market came up but there were some places closer to where we were. I spent a day going in and out of places that were not good..to but it nicely. I ended driving further than I wanted to go to Pelly's ....I'm SO GLAD I did! This place is great...it's in a very lovely shopping center and they also have a cafe and tables outside, really cute. I walked in, first of all it's a fish place and you can't even smell one bit of fishyness! Their fish counter is busy and the fish in the case looks wonderful. I ended up talking to a woman that was also buying fish and lives there, she says she comes there twice a week. I asked her to recommend a fish to me, she said get the Black Sea Bass and the guy behind the counter agreed with her...he said it was amazing,... I wasn't sure how much to get and he was very helpful and gave me two nice sized pieces, he told me how long to cook it...I told him I was from out of town and wanted some Tarter Sauce but didn't want to buy a whole jar since we were leaving in the morning, he was so nice, he sold me just enough for the one dinner. I like Sea Bass and eat it often but my husband doesn't usually love it, he get Salmon mostly but after eating this fresh, beautiful fish he said it was the best he's had. I only wish I would have had another week there so I could have gone back for more! If you're in the area it is absolutely worth going out of your way for their fish. Also...I didn't eat at the Cafe but I saw what people were eating and it all looked great.

1  Thank Becky P
Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you are in Carlsbad, make it a point to hit up Pelly's! It's in a strip mall but don't let that fool you. They have some of the best seafood around. Always fresh. Pick whatever you want. They will make a sandwich right there or take away to grill. Gotta try the chowder! Take your pick from the Manhattan or Boston - both delicious! Definitely would highly recommend!