“Best fish tacos!!!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family has been coming to Pelly's for years and years, and now I know why! (They camp every year at South Carlsbad State Beach and this is part of the camping tradition.)

It is a very small and very casual restaurant, but there is plenty of seating outside. We can always manage to push enough tables together to accommodate our large group.

Bottom line: this is the best fish taco I've ever had. Perfectly grilled. Generous portions of fish. Just the right amount of sauce. My bf got lobster and fish. He said the lobster taco was good, but he though the fish taco was as amazing as I thought it was. The tacos come with a really delicious and light coleslaw (made with an Italian style dressing instead of a mayo based one) and Mexican rice. Perfect plate, if you ask me.

I should also mention that my family LOVES their chowder. My grandparents always stop by on their way out of town and pick up a pint of it to take home to LA in their ice chest. That's how much they love it!

I know I'm going to be craving that fish taco all year long. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very casual, low key spot in a strip mall. Fishing shack decor. Order at the counter and grab a chair. Clams are good big variety of fresh fish.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a great, little, seafood place for lunch, also a fresh fish market. We enjoyed the calamari taco plate and ahi Poki, marinated ahi tuna. We were happy to find this place with the help of Trip advisor and enjoyed our lunch so much that we returned another day.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was on a business trip to Carlsbad and wanted fish. I checked TripAdvisor and Pelly's sounded good. Wow! Was it ever!

It is kind of hidden in a small courtyard in a strip mall so it's not the easiest place to find. Walking in, the first thing you see is a refrigerator case full of beautiful chunks of fish filet. The menu offers about a dozen types of fish in a variety of preparations.

I had no idea what to choose so I asked the guy taking my order what is the best grilled fish sandwich that they make. He said his favorite was the ahi, dusted with Cajun spices, on toasted sourdough with avocado slices, lettuce tomato, green onions, and their own sandwich spread. I figured he ought to know so I ordered it.

He asked how I wanted the fish cooked - seared, medium rare, or cooked through. I chose medium rare. I also ordered a calamari taco since I had never had one before.

The place does a lot of business so it may take 10 minutes or so but the wait is worth it. You can get it to go or eat at tables both inside and outside the café.

The fish sandwich was probably the BEST sandwich that I've ever had! All the components came together beautifully. And it was HUGE! The fish was cooked perfectly and tasted great. The avocado was a great addition, the spicing was perfect, etc., etc., etc! At $12.70 it sounds expensive for a sandwich but for the quality and quantity, I don't think you can beat it.

The poor calamari taco suffered in comparison. Don't get me wrong, it was very good. But given the size and taste of the ahi sandwich, there wasn't much room left in me for the taco.

There was one bad thing to ponder. I live in North Carolina and am not likely to get back to the Carlsbad area any time soon. Such a pity...

1  Thank TheRealAwaxy
Reviewed June 26, 2013

while there is nothing fancy about this place, the food is absolutely fabulous; so save your fine dining for another day and go to Pelly's. All the fish is fresh and the pricing is very reasonable.

Been to Pelly's Fish Market & Cafe? Share your experiences!