“King's Fish House - Great Atmosphere, Location, Food”
Review of King's Fish House

King's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
King's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 344 Restaurants in Carlsbad
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
So.Cal
“King's Fish House - Great Atmosphere, Location, Food”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just home from another great evening at King's Fish House in Carlsbad. We've been going there for about 8 years now, and have never once been disappointed in the food or service. The location is great - about half a mile from the beach, right across from the Carlsbad Factory Outlets. There's plenty of parking. They have a more formal dining side with an outside patio; there's also a great bar with less formal tables and booths and another outdoor eating area.
Their specialty is, of course, fresh fish and a large variety of sushi. They have a dozen or so fresh fish options nightly, prepared just about any way you like it, plus other options like coconut shrimp, a curry dish, shrimp & scallops skewers, etc.- it's really a huge menu. There is a nice variety of salads and side dishes - all the usual potatoes, coleslaw,mac & cheese, etc. plus a great sauteed fresh spinach. Everything is served with warm sourdough bread and butter. There are a few non-fish items, but we've never tried them. There's a full bar menu.

If we're not in the mood for a full meal, we have a cup of the clam chowder (the best we've had anywhere, including extensive travel in New England) and a Crunchy Lobster Roll. The roll is about 8 pieces, lobster and crisp fresh asparagus in the center, rice on the outside, then a thin coating of very fine crispy break crumbs - out of this world! The perfect grand finale is a shared order of their Bread Pudding. Neither of us thought we liked bread pudding, but had it served to us once for a birthday celebration, and we're now hooked. It's just the perfect texture and melts in your mouth,

Prices are moderate/high - 2 clam chowders, 2 lobster rolls, 1 bread pudding, 4 glasses of wine - about $70.

• Visited August 2012

Livermore, California
“Five star food - two star hostess/host staff”
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

I SO wanted to give King's 5 stars! I've eaten two lunches there over the past six months and loved the food and service each time, so I was looking forward to a wonderful supper last week. I was in town solo for a hobby related event and was totally prepared for a wait given that it was Saturday night. Walking in I noticed a cluster of young men and women hovering around the reception desk. A women promptly greeted me and asked how many in my party. I said one and her response was "just one"? Charming! She then gave me a wait window of 20-40 minutes, which seemed odd in and of itself. I get doubling five minutes to ten, but 20 to 40 minutes seemed to me like they weren't really in control and hedging their bet! I was given a pager and waited for 25 minutes. My pager went off and another woman took my pager from me and a guy walked me to a dirty table, apologized and then walked me to two more tables, also dirty. He took me back to the stand and said they would call me when one of the three tables was cleaned. I just knew in my gut she was going to forgot me, so I kept a close watch on the two tables I could see. When one of them was ready I went up to the woman who had taken my pager and said my table was cleaned and she stared at me blankly and rudely said I couldn't get a table without putting my name in and being given a pager! Seriously, it had been five minutes tops and they were slowing down, no large crowds by then. She was actually accusing me of trying to get a table without putting my name in.

If the guy who had shown me to the dirty tables hadn't walked up I was headed out the door. I would have fired her on the spot. She didn't apologize, nothing. Just a dirty look as they guy reminded her of what had happened just a few minutes before!

Things got much better after my confrontation with her. My server was wonderful, food fabulous, but the wretched "hostess" spoiled my evening. Will stick with the day crew from now on!

1 Thank Nilene T
Missouri
“Expensive food and unimpressive service.”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were not terribly impressed with King's Fish House. Upon being seated, we waited for quite a long time for a server to take drink orders. This would prove to be a pattern for the duration of our visit at King's. We were there for about 90 minutes, and we spent most of that time waiting for our server. It was particularly bad at the end of the meal when we needed boxes and the check. It took 30 minutes to accomplish this. After waiting the 30 minutes for the check, we were ready to pay, and we had to wait longer for her to pick up our payment. Then, although she'd run our credit card, she held our credit card hostage while she waited on the table next to us. After she started taking their order, she said, "Oh. Here." and handed my credit card and the slip back to me so I could sign it.

The food was okay. My son and I had fish and chips. My husband had the tilapia. All the dishes were rather bland. There is better seafood and service in the Carlsbad/San Diego area.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank SACMO
El Paso, Texas
“seafood next to the outlet mall”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We had a nice lunch here, taking a break from shopping at the outlet mall across the street. Mostly standard seafood fare, but a surprise was the cheesy grits side-dish that I got with my meal. It reminded me of South Carolina 2000 miles away! Friendly service, too.

• Visited July 2012
Oceanside, California
“Not Memorable”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

First time we went when they first opened, seemed very pricey. Went back a couple of times but just seemed mediocre and not worth the price.