“Fun little place”

Las Olas Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Since 1981, Las Olas Mexican Restaurant has served the best authentic fresh Mexican food near the beach!Please join us for margaritas, lunch and dinner specials, full bar and craft beers, Taco Tuesdays, Happy Hour Monday thru Friday till 6 pm, group parties, dog friendly patio dining, great service, and an amazing atmosphere!The menu allows customers a wide variety of options: Build your own seafood, chicken, pork, or carne asada tacos, enjoy delicious favorites like roasted chili relleños stuffed with fall-off-the-bone-tender carnitas, or delight in our seasonal grilled vegetable enchiladas. It's honest food, prepared fresh daily from scratch with wholesome ingredients - never powdered or granulated spice mixes like others tend to use - and their customers appreciate it.Want a Margarita or an ice cold beer? Las Olas Margaritas are famous, and many of our draft beer selections are from San Diego's own incredible breweries. Try the house infused roasted pineapple and jalapeño tequila in a Pineapple n' Chile Margarita some time. It's unique and delicious.Thanks for coming in we really appreciate your business!Visit us online or call any of our three locations for additional information.
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fun little place”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great stop in Carlsbad Village. Great food...fun atmosphere...super margaritas..good service...good prices. What more could you want.

Visited August 2013

Bakersfield, California
“Great place”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a late lunch at this place. The fish tacos were really good. Beans and rice were good. My sons had a carne asada burrito and they commented that the salsa needed some improvement.

I really like the location. A great place to have a beer outside and relax very close to the beach. The service was really good and prices were good.

Definitely will be going back.

Vancouver, Canada
“By the sea Las Olas, que bueno”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Location, location, location. Hwy 101, Cardiff-by-the-sea, happy hour noon till six. Great fish tacos. Try them grilled.
Sit outside, it's San Diego county by the ocean never too hot. Lots of parking. Enjoy. I come back again and again.
You have to try it.

Visited August 2013
San Marcos, California
“About what I expected”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been wanting to try this landmark location restaurant. Every time I've passed by, it's crowded and very busy. My son and I had lunch right about noon on a Tuesday and it was very busy. He dropped me off and went to the lower dirt parking lot. There were tables available inside, but seating outside was full. I put my name in for an outside table and went to the bar area to wait and get a Bloody Mary. It's the smallest bar I've ever seen. There were people on stools waiting and I could not get my walker and me close enough to order. My son arrived and I asked him to order my drink.

The hostess called my name and I followed her outside and thought I'd made a big mistake. The seating was a mix of benches with no backs or with slat backs. I have had several back surgeries and would find that very uncomfortable. Comfortable seating is a big determining factor for me when eating out. Luckily there was a table next to the wall in a corner of the building so the building was the back of a bench. The bench was well padded and the wall was not a problem for as long as we were there. I didn't notice what the seating was like inside. My son sat down with my drink the same time we were served chips and salsa. They were very good. I can't say the same for my drink. And my son said she made it from scratch - not a mix. It was just OK - but priced right. I don't think the "view" was much. We had a good view of the parking lot in front of the building, the highway and traffic, the cars parked on the opposite side of the highway, some sand, a few people and a tiny glimpse of water.

It's family friendly. Service was very good - although they were rushed and it was not a relaxing atmosphere. It was more a hectic, fast paced and "Happy Hour" sort of atmosphere. Which is great - if that's what you want. My son had The Cardiff Combo with an enchilada and 2 Taquitos with rice and beans (but we both got beans only). He raved about the Taquitos - one of the best he's had. I took a bite and agreed. Lots of meat! I wanted to create my own 2 item combo. I thought I ordered one Chile Relleno and a Chile Verde taco (and all beans-no rice), We miscommunicated. She thought I wanted 2 Chile Rellenos AND a taco. I wasn't sure what I was going to get having never ordered a Chile Verde taco. It was served on a soft shell corn tortilla and was delicious. The Rellenos were good but nothing special - just huge. The beans were also good but not special.

The tables/seating was very close together - consequently very noisy with nothing to absorb the sound. It may not have been quite so noisy inside. It was ok when we got there. There was one couple opposite us talking and we couldn't hear them. Then they left and a party of 4 adults with mixed generations sat down. From that moment on we couldn't hear ourselves talk but we heard every word of their conversations. It was as tho' they were there to be seen and heard. We had finished and we wanted to get out of there. The portions are VERY generous. I took home 2 meals and even threw away a few beans on the second day.

Since I live in San Marcos, it's doubtful I'll be back - there are too many Mexican restaurants to drive that far and not really enjoy it. I'd recommend it if you want an up-beat party atmosphere. I will try the Carlsbad location sometime tho'.

San Diego
“Fish tacos!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Best in the universe! Well, almost! I'm a local and we eat here all the time. Just love everything about Las Olas. Usually get fish tacos, but sometimes a green chicken enchilada. Cabbage salad and black beans!!!