“Great place by the ocean.”

Las Olas Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Since 1981, Las Olas Mexican Restaurant has served the best authentic fresh Mexican food near the beach!Please join us for margaritas, lunch and dinner specials, full bar and craft beers, Taco Tuesdays, Happy Hour Monday thru Friday till 6 pm, group parties, dog friendly patio dining, great service, and an amazing atmosphere!The menu allows customers a wide variety of options: Build your own seafood, chicken, pork, or carne asada tacos, enjoy delicious favorites like roasted chili relleños stuffed with fall-off-the-bone-tender carnitas, or delight in our seasonal grilled vegetable enchiladas. It's honest food, prepared fresh daily from scratch with wholesome ingredients - never powdered or granulated spice mixes like others tend to use - and their customers appreciate it.Want a Margarita or an ice cold beer? Las Olas Margaritas are famous, and many of our draft beer selections are from San Diego's own incredible breweries. Try the house infused roasted pineapple and jalapeño tequila in a Pineapple n' Chile Margarita some time. It's unique and delicious.Thanks for coming in we really appreciate your business!Visit us online or call any of our three locations for additional information.
Washington
“Great place by the ocean.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on the recommendation of my sister in law, what a great suggestion. The restaurant is small but has good covered outdoor seating. We ordered the carne asada quesadilla and the charboiled chicken and sour cream enchiladas. Yummy! The salsa and chips that came before the meal were also good...the only complaint is the bowl of chips is so small and you pay $1 for each bowl after. Not much of a good deal in that aspect. All in all we loved the food, the options for kids meals were all Mexican food so don't expect to see chicken nuggets or grilled cheese for the little ones.

Atlanta, GA
“Might want to consider another Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

During our recent visit to San Diego to see family/friends, our large group had Sunday lunch here. Due to the size of our group, we expected there would be a minor wait, however, the wait was about 1 hour before we were seated.

The atmosphere was a tad bit noisy, but not enough to deter table conversations. Shortly after being seated, we received chips and salsa and gave the server our order. Because so many people were eating here, the staff were working extremely hard to get food out, but there was still a lengthy wait. Having both adults and kids in our group, I wondered if the kids would receive their meals first. Unfortunately, they had to wait as long as the adults.

I ordered the chicken quesadilla. It came with "guacamole", pico de gallo, and sour cream. It was a pretty substantial portion, and I knew I probably wouldn't be able to finish it. With my few first bites, I could tell there wasn't any flavor with this meal. Adding the sour cream and pico de gallo to the quesadilla made it easier to enjoy. I've made guacamole at home and decided that Las Olas "guacamole" should be called mashed avocado. It had nothing added to it. I also noticed that my quesadilla was a bit runny. There seemed to be water around the edge of the quesadilla on the plate. I think I had about one and a half slices of the quesadilla and called it a meal.

My husband ordered the shrimp tacos. He said those were fine and enjoyed his meal. A young girl seated near me ordered the nachos from the children's menu. She was not pleased with her dish, as it looked like nacho chips with a thin layer of cheese baked on top. She told me that she was hoping for something better. Another person in our group said she had eaten at Las Olas one time before and thought the food was okay. I don't recall what she ordered, but she did not like her meal either.

Overall, due to the lengthy wait time and the less than appealing food, I'm certain that there are many better choices for Mexican restaurants in Cardiff and the surrounding areas.

• Visited March 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Worst Mexican Food Ever”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were staying in Del Mar for a weekend getaway from Colorado and the snow (where there are amazing Mexican food options, from dive to high-end). One us also lived in San Diego for 8 years, thus being familar with the area and many of the region's restaurants.

First, the atmosphere was terrible. We understand that this is a beach restaurant, but it felt like we were sitting in an airplane hanger with a jumbo jet testing its engines. It was so loud that the two of us had to shout across the table to each other.

Second, the food was awful. By awful meaning tasteles and bland -- truly NO flavor at all. When is the last time anyone needed to put salt and pepper on a burritio??? The chicken in the burritos was absolutely flavor-less, the rice and beans tasted like cardboard, and even the burrito toppings could not be differentiated from each other. Next time I'll go through a Taco Bell drive through rather than eat here.

• Visited March 2013
Nelson, Canada
“Great Service”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Recommended by our motel manager, this was a real find. Good food, and the server was considerate and knowledgeable in dealing with a gluten intolerance. Substitutions were offered, not just tolerated. We would return here rather than experiment with other Mexican restaurants in the area.

Visited March 2013
san diego
“Ate here and got sick”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Ate at Las Olas for a special occasion-thought I'd save some money. My wife and I ordered the most expensive item, a "local lobster special enchilada". The server claimed it was fresh from the ocean. It tasted funny, dried out, and definitely not fresh. It tasted like it was from the bottle of the barrel and re-heated in a microwave several times. Both my wife and I had stomach cramps that night and diarrhea the next day. I notified Las Olas about this. They acknowledged the problem, but did not seem concerned. They gave me the impression that it didn't matter much to them. It's a funky place, but be wary of the food and don't hesitate to send it back if it seems spoiled, old, and re-heated in a microwave.

• Visited February 2013