“Terrible!”

Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 101
Description: A relaxing afternoon watching the surfers at Cardiff Reef or a romantic evening with the sun setting over the sea...the exciting new cuisine of recently-arrived acclaimed executive chef Michael Ingino...the value of our famed daily Happy Hour and nightly Sunset Specials...two heated outdoor patios so close to the sea you might just get splashed, al fresco dining at its finest...the energy and excitement of the Top of the House Grill, the comfort of our dining room...Lunch, Saturday and Sunday Champagne Brunch, and Dinner...Cuisine, Service and Value to match the stunning views...The Beach House...Lobster, Fine Steaks, Fresh Fish...World Class Wines, cool Libations and Martinis...on the beach in Cardiff by the Sea, two miles north of the Del Mar racetrack.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The ONLY good thing about this place is the view. EVERYTHING else is/was terrible! The service could NOT have been worse, both upstairs and downstairs. Waited and waited and waited and...Salmon was dry, and lobster was tough and chewy. This is our third visit. The first visit was good, and the last two...BAD! We will not be going back.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've passed by this place many many times but never eaten here. I've hit several places in Del Mar on the beach and the view is great. As well, here the view is INCREDIBLE. We couldn't get an outdoor table as they were all packed but we got a table right by the window so we got the full view.

I read with interest many of the negative reviews but honestly I found the food tasty here. These types of places usually only are around for their great view.

I do agree that the place could probably use some sprucing up a bit on the inside. It looks tired and the color scheme is very old fashioned. But the view is incredible!! So romantic. We went for 6:30 PM dinner and the sun was setting around 7 PM and it was gorgeous watching the sun set.

Our server was also friendly. And I thought the food was good. We had the Clam Chowder and Lobster Bisque soup to start and both were really good. We both got the Salmon and it had a yummy soy glaze sauce on it with crunchy noodles that were good.

We both got a dessert. I got the cheesecake with fresh berries and my wife got the Tiramisu and both were really tasty.

They have valet parking here which is $4 + tip. Everyone was super friendly. I'd recommend you requesting a table on the outside. Views are amazing.

It's not nearly as bad as what some people are posting about. I found the food as good or better than the other ocean view places in Del Mar like Jakes or Poseidon, etc. I'd gladly come here again.

After dinner we walked on the beach for an hour and then got our car.

1  Thank saintba
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This was recommended by someone who went a year ago. The patio on the beach is fantastic - watching the sun set and listening the waves makes for a wonderful setting. That is the only positive for this restaurant. The food was not special, especially for the price. I did order off the Sunset Special menu. My dish was very salty, and my friend's dish was very bland. Service was extremely slow. Valet parking is available for $4 + tip; otherwise one parks on the street. We arrived on a hot summer day, before the sun set, so parking was non-existent. After dark, the street is not lighted well, so bring a flashlight so you can walk safely to your car. For the amount of money spent, one can eat with the same setting in a different restaurant.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I just re-visited this restaurant after a long time away. I was secretly hoping it got better with time but that is not the case. The view is really the best part of this restaurant. Everyone wants to sit on the patio, which I cannot fault but you have to wait for outside seating even with a reservation. The best tip I can give is to go upstairs for happy hour. Enjoy great drink prices and a simple affordable menu with better view. Paying much more to be downstairs for average food at best just makes little sense. The only great part of the meal was lobster bisque soup, the rest was forgettable as others have mentioned. It is a shame that this place cannot pull off better quality of menu and service given the great location. The parking lot is small with valet service only. Be prepared to wait for parking during peak week end dinner hours.

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Came here for a work meeting and dinner. Staff was very accommodating for a large group. I ordered the tuna. It wasn't bad but it was forgettable. We also ordered crab cakes... they were also only ok. The view of the ocean and the beach of extraordinary however. The prices were very high as expected in California. I might return for the cool atmosphere and good service after I try several of the other beach restaurants in search of better food.