“Un-happy hour overlooking a bunch of old people”
Review of Beach House - CLOSED

Beach House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 101
Description: A relaxing afternoon watching the surfers at Cardiff Reef or a romantic evening with the sun setting over the sea...the exciting new cuisine of recently-arrived acclaimed executive chef Michael Ingino...the value of our famed daily Happy Hour and nightly Sunset Specials...two heated outdoor patios so close to the sea you might just get splashed, al fresco dining at its finest...the energy and excitement of the Top of the House Grill, the comfort of our dining room...Lunch, Saturday and Sunday Champagne Brunch, and Dinner...Cuisine, Service and Value to match the stunning views...The Beach House...Lobster, Fine Steaks, Fresh Fish...World Class Wines, cool Libations and Martinis...on the beach in Cardiff by the Sea, two miles north of the Del Mar racetrack.
Oregon
“Un-happy hour overlooking a bunch of old people”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Ever wonder what it would be like to go to happy hour with Frank and Estelle Castanza at Del Boca Vista? I expect it would be a lot like the experience we had at the Top of the House last Sunday night.

The bar food, while I guess cheaper than usual due to happy hours prices, was unimpressive. A particular disappointment was the salty, leaden pizza. But nothing else was very good either.

The drinks, while I guess cheaper than usual due to happy hours prices, were small, weak, and tasteless.

We hung out for well over an hour, waiting for an outdoor table. But the patio was packed with blue-hairs nursing their weak drinks and pretending they were living large in a much swankier locale. Near as we could tell, they planned on dying there and being buried in the kelp-filled sea.

Meanwhile, the indoor bar area was about 150 degrees, but with the added bonus of a swampy, humidity rarely found outside ... well, Del Boca Vista.

On the up side, the live jazzy combo was actually quite good. And our server, Lily, was a great.

Would we go back? Maybe with a gun to our heads. But it would still be a tough call.

• Visited September 2012

Paris, France
“Happy hour”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

So the view and location cant be better...but... please do a total renovation! Musty old 1970's decor is depressing! Please do the redo!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Blearyeyedtravels
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was an amazing restaurant with unparalleled views. It is right on the beach. Ask for the lower patio next to the rocks and you send off your kids to play and run on the sand while you sip your cocktail, watching the sunset. The food was delicious and appealed to my picky eater son who loved the bacon wrapped shrimp. Our server was helpful and gave us suggestions where to beach it the next day (La Jolla Beach). So worth it and we are making it a must do when we return.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Maureen R
Oceanside, California
“Right on the Beach”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The best thing about this restaurant is the view, especially from upstairs. It's right on the beach. Upstairs is more casual than downstairs. They have interesting food and drink menus, so you can go back time and again and try something new. Outside seating along the beach can't be beat. During the day, there are usually at least 2-3 kiteboarders on the ocean in front to the restaurant...fun to watch.

The only annoying part may be that you have to valet your car (no choice) for $4 and they park it in the adjacent tiny parking lot a few steps from the door. (Huh?)

Visited August 2012
Las Vegas, NV
“Beautiful view, terrible food!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our hotel recommended the Beach House in Cardiff as a place to get a decent meal and have a great view. Well, they had the view part right but I wouldn't recommend eating here. Maybe a drink on the patio is the way to go.

We really wanted a place where the seafood was great and the kids could have a cheeseburger or something. For a coastal restaurant, I would think the seafood would have been better but we were immediately disappointed by the bacon wrapped BBQ shrimp appetizer. The shrimp and bacon were both dried out beyond belief which made the appetizer terrible. My son ordered and Arnold Palmer to drink and it took 15 minutes for the waitress to bring.

Next came the dinner adventure. We ordered surf and turf - filet and king crab legs which wasn't cheap and I had high expectations. After waiting what seemed like forever (the waitstaff would disappear for 15 - 20 mins at a time) our food finally came. By then we were starving so we dug in. My steak was supposed to be medium and came in looking like a briquette on the plate. The crab legs were overcooked, rubbery and tasteless.

On numerous occasions during dinner my family had to ask the waitress for things like a fork, mustard, ketchup, horseradish...you know, the basics. At one point the waitress came back to us and said "I think you are good now" and disappeared. Totally condescending. We sat flabbergasted at the whole experience.

After dinner, I approached the manager who seated us and explained the whole thing. He apologized and asked if he could give us a gift certificate to come back. As if I would ever want to have a night like that again? No thanks. Honestly, I thought he'd adjust our bill or something but I jut received my credit card statement and they charged us the whole price.

So, beware. As long as you dOnt go for the food or service you will be okay.