“What more do you need?”

Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Ok, yes the property is a little dated. But it is kind of quaint and charming in a dated kind of way. The girls at the front desk were very nice. Our room was clean, the AC worked very well, and there were plenty of towels for the 2 of us. When it comes down to it, that is all I really need in a hotel room. The view from the upper deck was spectacular. We were only there for one night. It just happened to be the day of "The dog days of summer festival" I don't think I have ever seen so many dogs. We didn't even have to drive anywhere for dining. Everything is within easy walking distance. Even for my husband who can't walk too far.

Room Tip: We were in the Mediterranean room. It was fine. It looked out over the alley and town center. There...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Krishna D, Manager at Cardiff by the Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2014

Dear breepaul,

Thank-you for staying with us!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the service, the amazing rooftop and great location of our hotel. The hotel will be renovated the Spring/Summer of 2015 with updated rooms and public areas as well as a food and beverage component. We hope you come back and stay with us!

There are newer reviews for Cardiff by the Sea Lodge

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I booked this hotel through hotel tonight.com. I chose it because of it being so close to the beach and mostly because of the rooftop hot tub. Upon arrival I found out that the room I received did not have an ocean view so I asked to tour the available rooms. Krishna took me on the tour showing me all rooms including the one that was intended for me that night. The Lattice room which was booked as mine had a horribly moldy smell that permeated every thing in the room so I upgraded to the Southwest. This room was bright, sunny, odor free and had a combo jacuzzi tub/shower as well as a cute fireplace. The original booking price was $142.00 with tax. The upgrade was now around $200.00.
Once settled in my room I headed rooftop to check out the what a rooftop hot tub with an ocean view looked like. I was so disappointed! The hot tub water was all yellow and the walls of the hot tub were covered in mold. There was no way I would be able to get in this thing, no one could!
In discussion with management the upgrade charge was removed from my bill. This really wasn't satisfactory to me as the original fee that I was still paying included this hot tub, the main reason I chose this property over others.
Management felt that because there was a jacuzzi tub in my room that would be a fair trade. I disagreed but decided to quit trying.
Now, fast forward to later in the evening. I run the bath water and prepared to take my jacuzzi. Kind of exciting as my back was all twisted up and I was looking forward to relaxing. Tub filled with water, push the button to start the jets, NOTHING! Twist turn knobs, push button off and on, look for walls switch, still nothing. Call the front desk and I am told that the jacuzzi tub had not worked for quite a while. REALLY???!!!! Okay. Next, pop in a movie and light the fireplace. No surprise, the fireplace doesn't work either. Can it get worse? Yes. The bar that butts right up to the property runs all night long with loud music thumping through the room and then there is the train. I love the sound of trains but do they really have to honk the horn for each pass thru the area? They pass thru all night.
It is a rare treat for me to get away like this. I expected to relax in that hot tub and enjoying the one night retreat I had arranged. Didn't happen. I'm so disappointed!
I understand that there is new management for this property and they are fixing things up as they have funds to do so. Without a sizable investment it will take awhile to bring this place up to the standards it demands for the prices that are charged. My suggestion is do not come here for a good year or two, it's going take some time to make the improvements needed.
I would not return to this property again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Lynette L

Dear Lynette L,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback gives us the opportunity to improve ourselves and deliver a better experience to our guests.

We are sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay with us. Unfortunately, you came right when our jacuzzi had been punctured and we had just refilled it. We had it refilled and cleaned again upon hearing your feedback. We gave you the best discount we could deliver, a $142 rate for our most premium room - the lowest rate we had given for that room all summer, and it came with a hot tub with ocean views. We wish you would have called us to inform us of your difficulty the jacuzzi and fireplace so that we could have sent someone up to explain the mechanics and get it started for you. As for the bar noise, if you give us a call we can let the bar know they are disturbing our guests, they are always great about quietening their clientele.

Fortunately, we are going to be renovating the entire property in the Spring/Summer of 2015 which will include double paned windows, updated public spaces and rooms. We may not be able to control the sound of a train, but we will certainly do our best in reducing the amount of sound that reaches you. We hope that you will consider staying with us post our renovations. We would love to hear what you think!

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Very quiet for a beach city. 5 minutes from the ocean, beautiful beaches. Rooms are very spacious, continental breakfast is only mediocre. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Parking is underground and limited, some street parking is available.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Roger M,

Thank-you for staying with us and taking the time to write us a review!

Feedback from our guests gives us the opportunity to constantly improve ourselves. We are glad that you found the rooms spacious and the staff friendly. As for our breakfast, upon hearing similar feedback we have expanded our breakfast options and have planned to put in a kitchen when we renovate the hotel this spring. We hope that you can come back after our renovations to enjoy new rooms, a well planned garage, and our new hot gourmet breakfasts!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband, daughter and I were passing through Cardiff for an evening to visit a friend. We decided to stay at the Cardiff by the Sea Lodge as it was quite close to her place. It is in an amazing location right near some great restaurants and the beach and also has its own dedicated parking garage. The rooms are all themed which is really fun! For somebody who hates bland hotel rooms they are spacious and even though ours had a bit of a bizzare duck theme I really found myself loving it! Upon arrival they have delicious lemon cakes as well as smores kits for the fire pit on the rooftop terrace. I can't say more about the terrace, it is such a beautiful place!! Grab a couple bottles of wine and make an evening out of it. While you are in town take long walks on the beautiful beach, get your fill of fish tacos and enjoy the sleepy town. The hotel isn't luxe but they take lovely care of it and it feels like you are staying in a friend's huge private home. Wish we just would have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Pick a room with an Ocean View. Stayed in the Pines I believe and it was great.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear TiffysTravelTips,

Thank-you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We are so glad that you stayed with us and were able to enjoy our themed rooms, beautiful rooftop, delicious lemon cakes, and most important, our service. We really strive to make all of our guest feel as if they are at a friends home. We hope that you can come back and visit us soon - we will be renovating the hotel so as to maintain the charm while updating the rooms and public spaces. It would be great to have you back and hear what you think!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Just a block from the beach, this little bed and breakfast has charm for sure. it was my husband and i's first anniversary, and they made arrangements at a restaurant for us. When we returned, there was a cupcake with a note and candle to say Happy Anniversary :). We also loved the rooftop hot tub and fire pit!! Overall this place was great and they couldn't have been any nicer. I only gave it 4 stars because the rooms and decor are pretty outdated (heavy floral curtains and old carpeting, etc..took away from the beach feel) but i would definitely stay there again! Thank you for a wonderful anniversary!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Krishna D, Project Manager at Cardiff by the Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2014

Dear KylaB,

Thank-you so much for your kind review!

We really enjoyed having the both of you stay with us and are so happy you felt at home at our hotel. We really strive to make all of our guests feel comfortable and welcomed. We are actually planning a renovation of all of our rooms and public spaces the Spring/Summer of this year. We hope that you stay with us once we complete our renovations, and that the next time we can offer you 5 star rooms with the same charm and individualized service!

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival the hostess offered us coffee, tea, water and delicious lemon cakes.After taking us to our amazing room she lit the firepit, offered to make us smores and brought us wine glasses.Needless to say, the service was second to none!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Ashly K
Krishna D, General Manager at Cardiff by the Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Ashly K,

Thank-you so much for your kind review! Ever since we took over the property in mid-May we have been striving to add small personal touches (such as the lemon cake and s'mores) to make our inn feel more like a home. We are so happy that you felt comfortable - and we would love it if you did come and live here! We have many more changes planned for the coming months and hope that you come by again to see them!

Warm Regards,

Krishna Dahya

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife Kathryn and I stayed at this hotel (B&B) from 05/25/2014-05/30/2014. The business was just purchased by a new firm. The service was exceptional. The hotel has a rustic charm with rooftop garden, fountain, fire pit and a hot tub and of course a view of the pacific ocean, that is one block away. The room that we stayed in has been renovated and was very nice. The new owners plan an update this year. We look forward to a return visit. hopefully next year. Stom G. Peterson.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank spetersongroup
Krishna D, General Manager at Cardiff by the Sea Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear spetersongroup,

It was lovely having you stay here with us at the lodge! Thank-you so much for your kind review. We strive to provide impeccable service to our guest - and our small 17 room inn allows us to personalize this service. We are so happy that you were satisfied with your stay. You are absolutely correct - we have some very exciting renovations planned for this upcoming year and hope that we will have the privilege of having you, your wife and your grandson come and stay with us again soon! The entire team here thoroughly enjoyed having great people like you and your family to brighten up our lobby in the mornings!

Warm Regards,

Krishna Dahya

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Best Western Encinitas Inn & Suites At Moonlight Beach
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Portofino Beach Inn - Encinitas
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar

Been to Cardiff by the Sea Lodge? Share your experiences!