“I won't return”

Thai Basil
Ranked #39 of 107 Restaurants in Capitola
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed January 22, 2013

What a disappointment. On a spice scale of 1 to 5 I opted for a 4. I like Thai food VERY spicy and I had not been here before so I thought I'd play it safe. This was not spicy AT ALL. My nose didn't even run :-(
The shrimp, although there were many of them, were overcooked in the pad woon sen. The spring rolls fell apart (burst out of their skins) and the peanut dipping sauce was not a sauce at all. It was thick like peanut butter. Impossible to 'dip' an already fragile spring roll into.
I won't be returning.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Like what others said, it's a small place that you would miss on the street if not paying enough attention. Anyway, they serve authentic Thai food made by people from a small town in Eastern Thai. It would be better if they could have more hometown delights in their menu, instead they only have regular known choices. But ask for spicy level as "Thai spicy", then open a bottle of Singha Thai beer, the mean will make you forget you are in North America. It's a small restaurent run by a small family without beach view, so don't ask for more than these.

Recommendations:
- Tom Kha soup
- Green Papaya salad
- Hot wok of eggplant
- Thai fried rice
- Singha beer
(about $40 +tax/tip)

Reviewed November 20, 2010

I love Thai food and search out the best Thai restaurants whenever I travel. The Thai Basil in Capitola was a delicious dining experience that was affordable & authentic. The service was prompt & the food came out fresh and hot. You will be happy here if you love Thai food.

Reviewed January 24, 2009

VERY SLOW service but excellent food! Small and family owned.