“Great Italian Fare”

Caruso's Tuscan Cuisine
Ranked #6 of 106 Restaurants in Capitola
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Bellevue, Washington
“Great Italian Fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stopped in on a Sunday night. I went for the oven baked pizza, my wife chose the seafood risotto. Both were very good as were our salads. David's parents were in town from Italy so we got to chat with them (through David as they spoke little or no english). David and his staff are very personable. I think only about 8 tables so make a reservation or go on an off night. Will be back the next time in the area.

Visited March 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Divine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I walked over to Caruso's in Capitola-by-the-sea on Friday night on the recommendation of other Trip Advior reviewers. Were so glad we did. As others have said, this is a tiny hole in the wall restaurant, only about 6 tables and a TV mounted up in the corner playing Italian Game shows. But it oozes charm and personality and the owner is a delight and spends his time out on the floor talking to his customers and making sure everyone has what they need. He told us that he gets all his ingredients fresh every morning and that is certainly reflected in the flavours of your plate that evening! I had the Lobster Bisque and the Carpaccio (the best I've had) and my husband chose the Bacon wrapped sea scallops in a Basil cream sauce with roasted potatoes and garlic spinach. When you are first seated they bring you a basket of fresh homemade bread and a very, very delicious garlic infused oil to dip in. With a full bottle of wine, dinner and tip the bill came to $84. Worth every penny.

• Visited February 2013
San Carlos, California
“A Foodie's Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

What a wonderful place! Caruso's is a "hole in the wall" restaurant, but if you love food, this is the place to go. Weeknights are the best times. There are very few tables, and weekends are very busy. The owner, chef, waiter, and occasional singer is Davide. If it's not a busy night, take the time to talk to him. This is a man who clearly has a passion about food and cooking. His roots in Italian cooking and flavors are strong, but he isn't stuck repeating recipes from 50 years ago and 6000 miles away. He creates. Go. You'll be glad you did.

• Visited January 2013
Palm Springs, California
“Tuscany in Capitola”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

What a wonderful, inviting space. A tiny restaurant with a great big heart...thanks to owner/chef native of Livorno, Davide. The man makes everyone feel completely at home. I had a perfectly prepared risotto, insalata mista, glass of chianti, followed by a 1/2 piece of tiramisu that chef Davise had prepared that morning...and was singing his praises all the next day. My friend had a pollo dish sautéed in an elegant mushroom sauce. She actually turned to me and said, "this is one o the best dinners I've had in a long, long time".

San Luis Obispo, California
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

After finding a scarce parking place, we were walking to check out the restaurants along the Village's waterfront and happened to walk by Caruso's. It is a tiny place and was full of people and smelled good, but we kept on walking. We looked at the options along the water and then turned to one another and said, "Let's go back and eat at that Italian place." Am I glad we did? I like Caesar salad but it often disappoints me. Not this time. Dressing had just the right amount of anchovy, which is hard to do. It's a delicate balance point. Not enough and the dressing is bland; a tad too much and it's "Yuck!" I followed the salad with pizza Margherita, which was delicious, and then on to the tiramisu. Other reviewers have raved about this. I add my vote. It was light and fluffy, not sodden as is too often the case.

I'd planned to go to Gabriella Café tonight--a favorite of mine--but I'm thinking I might just go back to Caruso's.

• Visited October 2012