“Intimate setting, delicious food”

Caruso's Tuscan Cuisine
Ranked #7 of 106 Restaurants in Capitola
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Santa Cruz, CA
“Intimate setting, delicious food”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Caruso's menu is sure to please, offering appetizers, salads, pizzas, pastas, entrees and desserts, as well as a small selection of wine and beer. The three of us in our group couldn't have been more pleased with our choices, which included the spinach salad, perfectly dressed; a spaghetti dish featuring chicken and pine nuts; one of the nightly specials, halibut; and a generous portion of wonderful lasagna. I can't wait for my next visit to Caruso's and am eager to try their pizza. They all sound wonderful! Quality ingredients all around. Service was congenial. There are only a few tables, and they don't take reservations. Prices are moderate; everything is a la carte, so the bill could add up. Parking in Capitola Village can be hard to come by in the summer, but it is a charming place. In the off season parking is not really a problem.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank judiriva

Farmington, Utah
“Caruso's should be Number 1”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

If Caruso's is not the Number 1 rated restaurant in Capitola, it SHOULD be! The atmosphere is charming and relaxing. Christina is attentive without being intrusive and Davide is a master of hospitality and Italian cuisine. The food is unsurpassed.
It is a Must when in Capitola..if you want a unique dining experience.

• Visited November 2011
Pacifica, California
“Wonderful Tortelloni in a sweet restaurant”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Not only is Capitola incredibly cute, but it is hard to imagine better Italian in this area. Small place but the chef/owner and his wife met us at the door. I went with two co-workers and we really loved this place. We each had the asparagus soup they were serving that evening and then I had the most amazing tortelloni. The sauce was creamy delicious. My girlfriend had the gnocci three ways. The gnocci were tender, light and tasty. My other friend had the seafood stew. All the dishes ere incredibly fresh, perfectly seasoned and tasty. The pasta is home made each day, as are all the dishes. Can't get any better Italian in the entire area. That must by why their prices are little steep, but it was well worth it.

• Visited December 2011
Sunnyvale, California
“Intimate Italian restaurant”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

One of my favorite restaurants in Capitola, Caruso's is the perfect combination of great food, warm atmosphere, and friendly service. You feel right at home when coming to this place. The owner and chef Davide Caruso greets guests while cooking at the front. The food is absolutely delicious. My favorites are the spaghetti 4 Mori, spaghetti pollo, any of the pizzas, and the capresse salad. The wine offering is also fantastic. The restuarant is popular especially on the weekends. It is definitely worth the wait.

• Visited November 2011
Ben Lomond, CA
“Mixed reviews - but would give 2nd chance”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My husband and I ate there this evening - the place is quite small so we went early to guarantee a seat. The table service was excellent. I was disappointed that they weren't serving their pizza - which I really had wanted to try after being tempted with a peek of it the prior week (full seating - couldn't get in). My husband had a seafood pasta off the menu that was excellent and I had the special of the day - a seafood risotto. The flavors of my dish were very good, the seafood was nicely cooked (NOT overdone) but the risotto itself was crunchy. I understand it is to be al dente style, but instead of a firm texture this actually crunched when bitten, with a chalky feeling left in the mouth. The lady next to me had the same experience with her dish. While the chef said this is how it should be, I was not able to eat much of my rice, but I did take it home to finish cooking the crunch out of it (to be firm, not mushy) and will have it tomorrow for lunch. I do wish our main dishes had come closer together so we could start eating at the same time. I was afraid if I waited much longer (his dish came 5+ minutes after mine) that my seafood would keep "cooking" in the risotto broth and quickly become overdone. We did start off with a caesar salad (loved the dressing) and the Carpaccio beef (which was good but not "melt in your mouth" as I have had elsewhere) and finished with the tiramisu. The dessert was quite delicious and the texture was near perfect. We did notice that the cocoa powder which normally tops the dessert was left off of ours - but the table next to us was served a piece properly dusted. For the almost $135 after tip I did expect a bit better food experience. Now, that said, one of the diners next to us (friend of the one with the crunchy risotto) said she had the risotto there in the past and it was to die for - and not "crunchy" (yes, she did taste her friend's dish for comparision). Would I give it another try - yes, I think so.
- Kim S.