“New Brighton Beach SP - 2010 Update”

New Brighton State Beach
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Capitola
Northern California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“New Brighton Beach SP - 2010 Update”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Have to say, they do appear to be trying this year. At check in they were counting the number of people you had in the car upon entering. We noticed that there were still numerous vehicles (sometimes 5 or 6) parked per site, but they are trying to control the actual number of people per site. Also, this year camp seemed to be much quieter. Yay! Still the most beautiful State Park Campground on the coast south of San Francisco.

1 Thank Footloose39

Northern California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“2009 Update”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

The last reviewer was soooo right. We just returned from our annual week camping at New Brighton and while it's still a beautiful spot, things are definitely changing. Almost every site had 3 or more cars squeezed into the paved drives, sometimes with trailers as well. And don't get me wrong, we love our dog and take him with us most everywhere we go....but, there were several families the week we were there who refused to keep their dogs on a leash and also left their pets alone at the campsite while they were off visiting or down at the beach. The peeps in charge seemed much more interested in making sure that anyone who came in late paid for parking overnight, showing little or no interest in enforcing any rules. With the rate increases this year it's easy to understand why people do it. But how hard can it be to keep track of things and enforce the rules at the gate?

3 Thank Footloose39
Sacramento
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“What happened to rules?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

My family and I love New Brighton State Beach---we camp there every couple of months. It is gorgeous! Our last trip, however, raised some questions about rule enforcement in the park. The 2 vehicle max per site is not enforced...some sites were cluttered with up to 5 cars. More importantly, the number of campers per site was not enforced----the site next to us had at least 20 folks in it (with 8 large tents)! And it was not a group campsite. We complained, but were told the rules are not really enforced. This is one sure way to ruin the beauty and serenity of this gem of a park. Come on, the rules are there for a reason---let's keep New Brighton a stunning, peaceful place for all!

2 Thank englishbunk
Albuquerque
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Returning to the place where i fell in love with the outdoors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I spent many summer trips to the camp ground as a young boy, with family and friends. I caught my fair share of posion oak but this place was worth every itch, The campground was beautiful and forested, the sandy beach only a stroll down a path, life as a kid couldn't get better. I currently reside in Albuquerque, and we are planning a trip to the bay area. I wanted to spend time in the Santa Cruz area for a couple days, and I did not realize how popular this area has become over the years. So luckily i found a site avail. for one night . I cant wait to show my son one of my favorite places, so he can hear the ocean crashing at night as I kiss him goodnight.

1 Thank Sir_Lot
San Francisco, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Relaxing camping spot, incredible views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

This was a great spot for camping. We were tent camping for one night. Mostly RVs, but quiet ones, most people seemed to be staying for a few nights, so not a lot of turnover traffic in the morning.

Clean individual bathrooms and showers (coin op- get quarters at the ranger stand on yr way in).

We had reservations for Saturday which was close to being filled up (in March), but we changed our schedule and we were able to get a spot driving up Wednesday afternoon. I'm sure it is busier, and probably noisier in the summer.

While a few sites are listed as having "premium views", all sites are set back a bit from the edge of the bluff and there are some trees, but you can see the water in the distance from much of the campground. Sites are reasonably spaced, with the amount of bushes in between varied, some spots didn't have anything in between.

The best views are from the bluff edge, which is maybe 50 feet off the campground road through a little picnic/public gathering space at the edge of the campground. Awesome views, very chill beach- some family groups and kids, but you could have some space to yourself too. Gentle waves, there were some small kids in the water, brave kids, it was waaay too cold for my feet. But nice space for reading, sand castles, frisbee etc.

You can walk down a bunch of stairs from the campground to the beach, or just drive down to the beach parking area.

Overall great place, very relaxing vibe, definitely wanted to stay for more time.

5 Thank ActiveTraveler07