“Quieter than main beach”

New Brighton State Beach
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Capitola
Rickmansworth
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Quieter than main beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We sat and enjoyed the peace and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach. Beautiful, would visit again.

Visited July 2013

Santa Cruz, California
139 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Great Walking Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a great stretch of beach about two miles long. It merges into Seacliff and the Cement Ship. It is dog friendly, but leash laws are enforced. You can gain access through the State Park entrance and pay the daily fee or you can walk from the street in. There are nice new bathrooms at the end of the trail with a drinking faucet for both people and dogs. Seals and dolphins are often seen. Love this beach!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank JeriLG
Pleasanton, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Dog friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great beach that you can take your dog to. Parking gets tight on weekends but what park doesn't. Downtown Capitola is nearby and this it simply a great fun beach to walk with your pet.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Tim S
Newport Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great location.. a few reservations about reservations though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

First the good points, of which there are many: If you're looking for a real relaxing getaway place then this is very pleasant, the park is located on the cliff/bluffs within close walking distance of New Brighton State Beach. I went for three days during the week and the beach was pleasantly uncrowded and really lovely. You hear the waves in this pleasant cove (good for swimming) and birds in the background trees. Getting down to the beach involves a steepish path and it gives you great views of the bay as you walk down. In the campground itself showers were warm - a quarter gets you 2 minutes of nice warm water and you can top that up. Bathrooms were clean and well maintained. There is space between each site. I have two days of superb sunny weather so it was definitely a good relaxing time for me. On the downside however, there was much confusion about reservations at this place. I did try to book a couple of days in advance and I tried to do it online but nothing was available. When I phoned to try to reserve that way the girl in the office said it was on a "first come first served" basis. So I took my chances and arrived quite late (no-one on the entrance gate but they said you can check yourself in - a strange system really). There were no hookup sites available for my RV so I went for a non-hook up site and then the following morning went down to the entrance gate to see if I could be moved to a hookup site. Luckily one had been vacated that morning, so I got it. I assumed I'd be able to go down at around 12noon the following day and pay for another day on my site, however they said someone had reserved my site. Luckily someone else had checked out so I moved my RV to that spot. All in all I found the whole booking/reserving system completely confusing and misleading. Anyway, I guess I was lucky really but they really should clarify the booking procedure. The grounds are nice and you do feel you're getting back to nature however they could definitely do with cutting back the grass here. Premium sites (non-hookup) are closest to the ocean and they looked really nice when I walked by. Great for tent camping. Just a warning: apparently there has been theft reported at this site - outside generators and coolers have been reported stolen, so keep an eye on your things or lock them up inside at night. This is a State park after all. But don't let that put you off staying here.

Visited May 2013
Scotts Valley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Brighton Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Well kept; clean. Not crowded. Camping close by. Very nice camp sites overlooking the Ocean. One of the nicest beaches in the area. Probably well maintained because part of State Parks. Admission Fee Daily of $5 or $6 per car. Probably close to being "excellent." I have been there many times over the last 30 years. Very close to Capitola and nice restaurants, also.

Visited July 2012