“The portion of my prime rib is too skimpy. But overall it is very impressive.”
Review of Shadowbrook

Shadowbrook
Ranked #2 of 107 Restaurants in Capitola
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitola Rd.
Reviewed September 2, 2014

You have to take a able car to get to the restaurant. Overall it was impressive. I had the prime rib and I was expecting a 12-oz portion, but it turned out to be only 8-oz one. Service is above par. Atmosphere is excellent. The bar is very impressive and there was a drummer on stage for the audience.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

We made an unforseen trip to santa Cruz and were recommended to eat here by our hotel concierge. The arrive at the restaurant you could either take a small tram down to the riverside restaurant or walk down the stairs. We chose the stairs which winded through beautiful gardens with waterfalls. Upon entering we were greeted by a hostess who told us she was "waiting for another hostess to return to seat us". We waited for about ten minutes which was a bit strange. Upon seating we were offered warm rolls. We started with the baked brie. It was good but was swimming in the accompanied jalapeno jam. I ordered a ling cod special which was delicious. The mushroom mashed potatoes it was served with were wonderfully tasty as were the vegetables. My husband had the flank steak which was a bit disappointing. The chimmichuri sauce was not the vibrant green you expect but looKed bland as if it had been sitting out for a few days. His steak which was ordered medium rare was medium to even well in some spots. The beans served on the side were prepared in an Italian flavored red sauce making the plate seem very disjointed from its Argentinean counterpart. Everything was also just thrown on the plate. Not sure how we had two very different experiences with our entrees but maybe the culinary team should revisit their everyday items as my special was wonderful.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Was in town to visit family and they took me here. Food was great and the restaurant was very nice. Service was excellent. This is the only place I want to eat when I'm in town.

Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

This is a very special restaurant you will not find anywhere else! The setting is set INTO the capitola hillside overlooking a river surrounded by lush trees and mature mountainside growth. The staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Food was pricey, but worth every penny. Make sure to try the artichoke soup. Wine selection is vast. Try and request seating near a window for the great views. Bar scene was lively and comfortable. This restaurant should be considered a destination and would travel a long way to enjoy this experience again. Highly recommended for a special meal.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

My husband and I went here for our anniversary in July. The Shadowbrook is a feast for the eye as well as the palate. The walk down the hillside was steep but beautiful, the handrail helps. There were flowering plants, trees and trickling streams everywhere. The building is gorgeous, the scenery beautiful. We sat outside on the patio, listened to music, had a wonderful light meal, delicious cold beer and even met another couple visiting from Chico. We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon and evening here. My only disappointment was that we didn't have time to go back again before we left. Dinner at The Shadowbrook will be one of our treasured memories!