“A holiday highlight!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitola Rd.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our family of four, from Oz, loved our dining experience at the Shadowbrook. The kids were well catered for with the extensive kids menu & prizes from the top hat! My husband & I both enjoyed our steaks and the wine list was amazing! The service was excellent and the cable car ride was a fun way to start & end the whole experience. We will never forget our dinner at this special restaurant.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Took the 6 passenger cable car down to this restaurant on the bank of tidal Soquel Creek (you can also walk down on a garden path). This is a multi-level restaurant; I liked the lowest level since it seemed to have the best view of the creek. My wife had the Cioppino and loved their interpretation of this dish of clam/mussel/crab/prawn/scallop/fish in a herbed halibut broth. I had a delicious filet with goat cheese. Towards the end of our meal, a raccoon family foraged just outside our window - very cute. Service was prompt and friendly.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We come here every time we go to the Santa Cruz area. Food is excellent, atmosphere is great! Love the little entrance area with the inclinator elevator to the top. Pricy meal but so worth it! My husband I make it a dressy date night!

1  Thank Kaytay3000
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I made reservations for my daughter's birthday. I was looking for a nice place, not the typical fried fish house or taquerias you find in beach communities. We took the charming cable car down from the parking lot and entered a dark, multilevel restaurant. We had to wait about 5 minutes for our table which was fine. The hostess brought us to our table near a window and while walking through, I noticed that most of the tables were occupied by elderly people. I adverted panic once we were seated and were given menus. They have an extensive children's menu which is big plus. I ordered the Mahi-Mahi special and my wife ordered the filet Mignon. The steak was cooked perfectly and I was very happy that we asked to have the Bernaise sauce on the side. It was thick and gross. While the steak was good, the Mahi was very salty, perhaps to appease the fading taste of elderly people.

While not terrible, Shadowbrook did not meet my expectations. Other reviewers love this place and I give it a Meh. Probably won't go back.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Took the parentals out to Shadowbrook over the weekend to celebrate their 40th anniversary. We have a wonderful experience and the whole family enjoyed a very special night.

With a group of ten, we could have really taken up some space, but rather than being mixed into the main dining room, Shadowbrook put us in the private room just off the main floor behind the great fish tank. It was perfect for our group. We have an excellent server and the wait staff was very attentive.

Sometimes you can get nervous about service and attention being neglected off the main dining rooms, but this was not the case. We felt very taken care of and yet had the space to make a few toasts and really get to chat each other up.

The food was wonderful overall. I had the filet and sampled the duck which was delicious also. In the past, I have had some just okay steaks here, but this time everything was excellent.

If you are thinking of a special occasion with a good sized group, put this place on your list! I imagine the private room books up early, so plan ahead like we did. It is a very enjoyable experience!