“Magical setting. Great for families.”
Review of Shadowbrook

Shadowbrook
Ranked #2 of 106 Restaurants in Capitola
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitola Rd.
“Magical setting. Great for families.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We took our seven-year-old daughter to Shadowbrook for dinner on New Year's Day, 2013. She was enchanted! From the cable car elevator rides to and from the restaurant, to the beautiful interiors and cozy wood fires. In addition, the servers were so friendly and good with kids. They have a super kids' menu/activity page that kept her busy. And after her dessert our server brought over a black magic hat from which she was allowed to pick a prize. Our daughter asked, "Can we come here every year?" Success!
And such a beautiful, romantic spot for adults as well. It really is a grand restaurant of the old school, in a breathtaking setting. The servers are very good, and the food, while not always excellent, is solidly quite good. My husband's fresh sea scallops were delicious. My own Fillet Mignon with Bernaise sauce was cooked perfectly, but I felt the sauce was a little lacking in flavor and there could have been more of it. But still a magical evening! If you have a child who loves "fancy" things, and who behaves nicely when dining out, take her/him to Shadowbrook soon!

• Visited January 2013

Orange, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Only the best memories of this restaurant !”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It has been many years since we visited Shadowbrook because we moved to southern California. However, when we lived in the Bay Area this was right at the top for our favorite dining experience. I am happy to see that it is still serving......just in case we are up in the area again ! The atmosphere is wonderful and the food terrific. My kids were yougsters and I had to get them filled up to drag them out of there. My son ate all the orange muffins and we ordered another half dozen to take out. Lovely experience for a Sunday Brunch with the family or a special person in your life.

• Visited February 2012
EL DORADO HILLS
“Prettiest restaurant I've ever seen”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We took the cable car down through the beautiful gardens. The service was impeccable from the time we arrived to when we were departed. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and reccommended a wonderful merlo which turned out to be fantastic! The ambiance was enhanced with the low lighting & the rich dark wood. I loved the comfortable chairs and how there was different rooms and not one large room with several different conversations going on. It was very pleasant. The food was out of this world. I ordered the seared sea scallops. My fiance had the New York steak. Our tastebuds were so happy. We received our salad and meal very quickly. We were there for New Years Eve. We will definately be back!

Visited December 2012
Santa Cruz, California
“+ neat jungle-like setting, + cozy bar and restaurant, + good happy hour and specials, + friendly and attentive staff”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Shadowbrook is a unique restaurant located on a hill above Soquel Creek. It is embedded in a jungle like setting with huge ferns and other tropical plants and spreads over several levels from the street down to the creek shore.

Besides a white table cloth restaurant the Shadowbrook features a very cool bar the “Rock Room”. This is also the place where the Happy Hour and Specials are offered like their $12 Burger & Beverage Monday, Tuesday Happy Hour and more.

So far I only tried the food in the bar and I highly recommend their burgers, their grilled mussels, and their brick oven pizza. Friends of mine went to the fancy restaurant and weren’t impressed. They recommended to stay with the bar food which is less expensive and tastes better. Overall the service is great. Very attentive and friendly!

When you get here at least do a ride with their tiny cable car that descends from the top to the bar. Moreover walk down the stairs to the creek shore and enjoy the view over the cottages on the opposite.

Average entrée Rock Room: $15.
Average entrée restaurant: $30.

• Visited November 2012
Monterey, California
“Unique”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Good menu with a great location - feed the ducks and you may be better fed by the restaurant.
Just kidding, but borderline truth.
My wife and I have had mixed results eating at Shadowbrook.
We plan on returning.