“Most beautiful setting I have ever seen...a landmark”
Review of Shadowbrook

Shadowbrook
Ranked #2 of 109 Restaurants in Capitola
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitola Rd.
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Shadowbrook is beautiful. The outside is surrounded by greenery and flowers, the inside polished and just lovely. It is built into a hillside, with a funicular to bring guests up and down; there are are also stairs that meander down the hillside. We loved the ride in the funicular; my 8 year old son loved it. The food was very good. We had a problem with our order as the waiter assigned to us usually worked in the dining room, and we were sitting in the bar area. The result was that two of our parties' meals came right before the waiter came back to tell my mother and me that the one item we ordered was not available yet (it was late afternoon, not yet dinner time). So we had to make another selection and then wait for that to be done, while the others ate.
The manager came over and apologised, as did the waiter (more than once). They did not charge for the late meals, and made a very nice apology. It was a blip I think, in this usually smoothly-running restaurant. The way the error was immdiately handled so professionally, with genuine concern, was impressive.
The margaritas were top-notch, the food was very good, the desserts were sinful; just what I like in a restaurant! To have that in the gorgeous setting of the Shadowbrook was so much fun. If we are ever in Capitola again we will be back. Don't miss it if you want a relaxing romantic meal surrounded by beauty.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

The Shadowbrook will not disappoint, no matter what the occasion. I went for a wonderful birthday dinner, and by the time I was seated, 4 staff members had wished me a happy birthday. The food is indescribably delicious, and the ambiance of this restaurant breathtaking. Be sure to take lots of outdoor photos in the gardens and waterfalls, and ride the glass tram up the hill after dining.

Reviewed July 1, 2011

Our family enjoyed a special meal at Shadowbrook last evening. Having been to this restaurant approx. 25 years ago, I anticipated a pretty setting at the bottom of a brook and so-so food. I remembered the beautiful setting and I thought the food would be overpriced and not special. I WAS WRONG!!! The restaurant has been updated and is beautiful. The landscaping is meticulous. Most importantly, the food and service were excellent. Strongly recommend the Prime rib and current preparation of Halibut. Good children's menu. Only negative may be the breadth of the wine list which is focused almost entirely on local wines.

Strongly recommend the restaurant for couples and families!

Reviewed June 30, 2011

My best friend took me there for my birthday dinner this year (25th) and it was such a beautiful place. I was a little sad that it was a rainy night, but the gardens were still very beautiful and the gondola ride down to the resturant was so much fun.
We each had apetizers and entrees, I had the bacon wrapped prawns (they were amazing, I have not had better ones anywhere and I am quite a foodie) and my friend had the artichoke hearts, which he enjoyed very much. Our entrees were also very yummy, I had the swordfish and my friend had the roast chicken. BOth dinners were very good, we also recieved wonderful service and it's a very charming resturant to explore, even on bad weather days.
I do recomend for the ladies that you wear flats. I was weaaring very high heels which meant I wasn't able to enjoy the steps through some of the garden area.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

Overall excellent entry atmosphere, the garden above the restaurant and the creek below are beautiful and charming. The food was good, not great. Apps and soup (clam chowder) were average. The main course was excellent, though. Gnocchi was pillowy soft and succulent. Filet was good as well. Service was very timely and attentive.