WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
Bow WA
“A great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I booked several rooms here for a family reunion. Some family members are really picky about their accommodations so I was relieved when everyone LOVED this hotel! The rooms are reasonably priced and large (the main reason I stay at a Fairfield whenever I have a choice), and the staff was very friendly. We did have a problem with folks trying to check in before I arrived, so if you are booking for a group, be sure to give the hotel the names of everyone in your party! Other than that we had a wonderful stay. Breakfast is fine if you like very standard fair (cereal, bagels, waffles, boiled eggs) but we did it right and drove to Gayles. You should too! Also, if you want to walk to Capitola Village, take the trail next to the railroad tracks - you'll be there in less than 10 minutes!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Bow_Wineaux

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for one night on our way to Monterey. It was a new hotel when we stayed there late March.

We had a 1 king bed room and it felt small (partially because we are a family with children). There was a sofabed in the room and it was great for us!

Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There is a microwave and fridge there so we could prepare some hot food.

The staff was nice and friendly, and when we had trouble connecting to the internet. Someone came up right away and fixed the problem for us, which was nice.

We like the fact that the hotel has an underground car park and you need your room key to get into the garage.

Breakfast is definitely nothing special - the typical waffle, cereal, juice, milk, fruit and some Jimmy Dean stuff you can expect from a Fairfield Inn.

The price is definitely a big minus, USD 119 + tax was certainly not cheap. I guess it's the area that's expensive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CPHBear
Thornton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is immaculate and the staff is very helpful and friendly. My room actually had a gas fireplace and whirlpool tub. Property look brand new or rcently rennovated. Very clean and a good price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank khopkins517
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a new property and the location is excellent. Just eight short blocks from the beach and away from the madness that can be found in Capitola during the high season. My partner and I had a room on the third floor with a fireplace. A nice touch as the weather was cool this time of year.
It was spotlessly clean, lacking for nothing and the breakfast provided in the rate was one of the best I've had and in a nice, bright and comfortable dining room. The staff was right on top of keeping the breakfast items replenished and full at all times. The gated parking structure is an added bonus.
I can't say enough nice things about this property! Keep up the good work. We will be back for out next visit to Capitola!

Room Tip: The third floor is best and some rooms offer a view of the ocean although it's in the distance.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Antelope
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

When we left our room yesterday, there were still maids and their carts in the hallway. We removed our do not disturb sign from our door, and left for the afternoon. We returned to refresh ourselves for dinner, and found our room the same way; dirty towels and full trash cans. We called down and found out that this hotel has a policy of only going by a room once with a do not disturb sign on the door and not returning to service it later. Even the front desk attendent was surprized, but she checked with her manager, who restated the policy. So we requested a maid service after 12 noon, since they stated their maid staff is available until at least 3 pm. At any other Marriott or other hotel I have always had a return to clean the room later, or at least a call to see if I needed maid service for that day. To be refused service simply becuase of a sign on my door at the wrong time, when service was still available is rude and inexcusable.

By the way, no apologies were made for this stupid policy. Trust me, you can find much better service elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dave S
Leeds, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My friend and I stayed here last March. The rooms look exactly like the professional photos do, which is something you can very rarely say. Normally I choose to say in family-run, smaller properties, but our room was clean and incredibly spacious -- the bathroom alone was larger than the whole room in several other hotels I've stayed in while in California. For a place to rest my head, it might have been a bit characterless but I have no complaints. Staff seemed friendly and polite, but I didn't need to deal with them so I'm not sure how they'd react in a crisis. Underground parking was safe and secure.

The only downside was the breakfast -- run-of-the-mill poor-quality coffee and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. But then, it was at least fresh, and this is commensurate with nearly every chain hotel I've ever stayed in, and I can't exactly say it was *in*edible. I'd certainly stay again if I found myself back in Capitola.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cannon Beach, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Being a frequent Marriott guest, I was interested to see the changes in this newer property. Love the new key system! Works every time. Some furniture modified, but basically the same. Comfortable, but unpretentious. Very safe hotel, great underground parking. I don't like the change to Pantene shampoo- chemically laden! I'll bring my own in future. Standard breakfast fare - OK because it's included in the rate. Wi-fi has worked well, a critical need for my stays.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
BEST WESTERN PLUS Capitola By-the-Sea Inn & Suites
Dream Inn
#4 of 53 in Santa Cruz
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,222 reviews
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola? Share your experiences!