“Spanking New!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is our first time at the Fairfield Inn & Suites and we REALLY like it. There is FREE parking, a gym, and a bar where we had a nightcap. We stayed in a junior suite with our 12 year old and he slept on the couch. The employees are happy and excited to answer any questions. If the prices stay this low, $109 a night, we may be staying here more often.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 21, 2011

We stayed a queen queen suite which had a separate living area with sofa bed. Loved the extra space! Room was spotlessly clean and tastefully furnished. Beds super comfy. Breakfast was good. There's secure, complimentary covered parking in the basement. A couple of strip malls nearby & only a short drive to Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Beautiful, affordable, quiet hotel with large suites, lovely and helpful staff. Loved it!
Had family members stay here for holidays (we are locals). Short walk to Pleasure Point surf spot. Good restaurants and great coffee (Verve) along the way.
Pool and hot tub were perfect temperature for a cold night and creative use of alley as Bocce Ball court! Excellent exercise equipment--need to bring headphones to plug in and watch your own little HDTV mounted on the treadmill, eliptical or bike - also free weights.
Each room has two TV's, large bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, coffee. Breakfast is the usual for this type of hotel - make your own waffles, hardboiled eggs, breakfast sandwiches, cereal etc.Parking in secure basement garage is great! Is across the street from New Leaf grocery store which also has a small cafe. I LIKE IT and would recommend for business and family travel. Only downside is not centrally located for Boardwalk etc--but is a short drive (15 min) to all of that, and is also a drive to actual town/village of Capitola (another 5-10 min South).

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor for quiet sleep
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2011

just checked out today, had a very quiet and sound sleep last night.
This is the best one is the area. Hands down.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Beautiful Place to stay, location was good, About a mile from the Esplanade downtown area.
We walked there from hotel, it was a nice walk took us about half hour.

The hotel is new and very nice. Modern style. Beautiful spacious room.
It has two flat screen t.v.'s, one in sitting room & one in bedroom area.
Their continental breakfast was great. Sausage muffins, waffles, fruit, cereal.

Would stay here again, really enjoyed our stay & room

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Like others have said, the hotel is new and lovely. Though we were loyal Marriott Rewards members for many years, I will never stay in another Marriott.

I asked to speak to the Manager when we checked out on 9/29/11 after our three day stay because:

1. We didn't have hot water when we checked in at 1 am.
2. We didn't have internet access the next morning.
3. Housekeeping skipped our room completely the first day.
4. My husband bumped his toe so hard on the overly-high granite bathroom threshold that it bled profusely and we were on our way to see a doctor.

I read the "Fairfield Promise," and assumed that giving us a one night credit for the day we had no hot water, no internet and no housekeeping would be a no-brainer. (At that point I didn't even know that the bill for Urgent Care would be $127.)

Boy, was I wrong. Since the manager wasn't available when we checked out, I was routed to a female sales manager with a "what are you complaining about?" attitude. After all, they fixed the hot water, and we eventually got on the internet, so what's your problem?

But she really busted my balls on the no housekeeping issue. She insisted that we must have left the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. I told her my husband and I specifically remember removing it (we had eaten take-out and wanted the trash emptied). I told her that the sign wasn't on the door when we returned at 7 pm, and by that time housekeeping was gone so it was too late to get the room made up.

The sales manager was adamant that we were wrong: the sign had to have been left on the door. I really didn't appreciate being called a liar, so I asked again to speak to the manager and was put on hold for a long time. Then the manager, Derek Grell, listened to my problems. He apologized and said he thought "the thresholds were a bit high," and he would examine the one in our room, but he couldn't pay a doctor bill for something that might not be the hotel's fault. He said that the Internet had been down in the whole area (I said I understood). But then he said that the housekeeper's records showed that the DO NOT DISTURB sign was on the door during their 2 pm inspection - so we either left it there all day OR we left the room after 2 pm. Perhaps we were mistaken about the time we left?

No, actually, because I have a record on my phone of who I was talking to at 12:45 pm as I walked out the door. The conversation lasted 14 minutes, so I know we were out before 1 pm and since we both wanted the room cleaned WE TOOK THE SIGN OFF THE DOOR, and it was NOT on the door when we returned. (We had lunch in Capitola before 2 pm - perhaps I should request the receipt from the restaurant - maybe it has a time stamp. And if the housekeeping staff reported that the sign was on the door at 2 pm, did they come back and remove it?)

I felt like I was on trial. I guess at Marriott, the customer isn't always right.

Though Mr. Grell wouldn't cave on the housekeeping issue, he apologized for the other problems and asked what he could do to make things right. I suggested a credit for one night's stay. He said he "couldn't possibly do that," but he would meet me halfway and credit us for one half of one night's stay.

By this time I was angry on general principle, because both managers took the word of the housekeeping staff over ours. This wasn't about the money; it was about being called a liar.

I asked to speak to Mr. Grell's supervisor, and he gave me the Marriott Customer Care number. When I called and recapped the issues, the agent (Ray Johansen) said he would refer the issue back to the hotel manager and he would contact me within 3-5 days. I said, "But I just talked to the manager - that's why I'm calling you!"

But the agent insisted this was Marriott company policy. I subsequently received an email from Mr. Grell, who again apologized and noted that he had credited us half of one night's stay. That won't even cover my husband's doctor bill… not to mention that he is still hobbling around, and that his whole vacation was ruined because he couldn't surf or play golf.

I work for a large vacation rental company, and when we ask a customer what we can do "to make things right" - and they tell us - we do that and MORE.

I assumed Marriott had the same policy. I was wrong.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
12  Thank acoralsea
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This hotel is so beautiful! We loved our stay here!

Things that were great; the gated parking lot below the hotel made us out of stater's feel safer at night. The breakfast was one of the best I've seen, with a lot of healthy options and they never ran out of anything. There's an outside patio that you can have breakfast at. The other huge plus of this hotel is the location! You can see the ocean from here and its a 5 minute walk to the beach! We went everyday!

The rooms are beautiful and spacious! We couldn't figure out the air conditioner controls but I think that was on us and not the hotel.

The staff is excellent, always friendly and helpful! Especially the evening/late night crew!

Overall this place is quite amazing! Definitely worth a stay!

• Stayed: October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites
Capitola Venetian Hotel
#4 of 4 in Capitola
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Quality Inn and Suites Capitola By the Sea

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola? Share your experiences!