“We are already planning our next trip here” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola

Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
San Francisco
“We are already planning our next trip here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We only stayed here for one night. Yet it was one of the best hotel experience we've ever had for the same level hotels. New hotel with modern decor. The whole hotel is in the ocean theme, matches the location. Free internet and wonderful breakfast. Very spacious suite room and comfy queen beds. Several different firmness pillows on our beds to choose. This was the best I liked. We stayed in some higher level hotels but they had flat and lousy pillows. 2 flat TVs. An iPod speaker. Pity we didn't bring our iPod. Very nice staff. They didn't just stand behind the counter like other hotel staff. They walked out and helped us several times. Nice pool, jacuzzi and gym. I saw the cleaning lady wiping the gym equipments carefully. How I hope if the staff in my 24 hour fitness can do as good and as this lady! Very close to shopping mall. Our room had no view but it was fine. We were happily playing in the room, no time to see out of the window.

The only little complaint is I saw a little paper cup with gold fish left behind the couch. Apparent it was unseen and left after the cleaning. Other than that, everything was perfect. We're already planning our next trip and will stay more nights here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

This brand new hotel was a great choice for my husband and toddler son and I. We were able to get a room using Marriott points just a few weeks before our stay, but that was dumb-luck. They were booked solid when we were there. As one would expect with a new hotel, it is very clean (passing the white glove test) and the staff is enthusiastic. My only complaint was that house keeping had a hard time on two of the five days of our stay. One day they skipped us completely and the next day they were very late. I complained and was credited a 15% refund on my bill for the inconvenience. The location of the hotel is really great, I think, although there are no views of the ocean. For a bargain brand Marriott, I was impressed. Also, the Capitola beach is a one mile walk away, which was awesome for my family. No need to deal with the Capitola beach parking nightmare. Good grocery shopping is across the street (try the organic grocery over Whole Foods 1 block up). Good restaurants about 2-4 blocks towards the beach. If I stay in Santa Cruz or Capitola again, this would be my first choice. We stayed at the Board Walk the rest of our trip and that place is about to get a nasty review from me on this site because it was such a dump (The Breakers, in case you're wondering.)

1 Thank lolawally
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Don't make the mistake of missing out on this place if you're within 10 miles of Santa Cruz. It was one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had in a hotel. Less than 1/4 mile off California 1 makes it easy to get to. The distance from this place to the boardwalk in Santa Cruz- 4 miles. Parking (free) is under the hotel which means direct access to the hotel once you park the car-also great for those with limited walking/handicapped or strollers. From the outside, it looks "normal" but hit the main foyer and you think you're in the trendiest new boutique hotel in Miami, San Fran or NY. Bright colors, great layout and when they say "brand new" on the website, they don't mean "newly refurbished" or "new-ish". You could almost smell the new paint! SO the rooms- another shock.. a king suite looks like an apartment with a real living room- upscale couches and flat screen. Bedroom: nice size w/another flat screen. Mattress: Great. Bathroom: Huge and so well designed I thought about copying the style at home. Every penny they put into the design was well worth it. Clean- I think Monk would've approved. Next morning-breakfast described as continental was better than some full breakfasts I've eaten: waffle station, those jimmy dean sasage sandwiches, del monte fruit cups were great to stow for the plane later. Best surprise- free internet station. No need to pay for use of one usually in the business center. Printer attached made check in for flight easy. Around the area- walk out to the street, make a right and an easy 10 minutes you're at the cliff walk looking at the Pacific and watchng the surfers. Lots of surf/skate shops along the way, some other retailers but all small business owners. If you stay here and want a great meal- walk 3 blocks and hit the Taqueria Vallarta II. OMG- fish and shrimp tacos were awesome. Lots of families and reasonably priced (platters w/ rice, beans, taco were around $5-$7). Staff also recommended Betty Burgers which I passed before finding the taqueria. If you like grill, this place may be it- you could smell the burgers a block away and parking lot looked packed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Northern Califonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

This hotel is new and fresh, and its decor is very appropriate for a coastal property. Everything is spotlessly clean--the rooms and the common areas. The rooms are very spacious--surprisingly so.It is better than I have come to expect from Fairfield Inns--especially the service. Everyone greets you, they aim to serve and take care of guests right away. I made a large request before we arrived, and the general manager saw to it and carried it through. He has trained his staff to high levels of service. The internet access, TV picture, breakfast, pool, fitness center were all above average. We have stayed in upscale hotels that could learn service from this property. Also, it's a short walk to all types of shopping, even the Capitola Mall, and from dining. It's a very short drive to Capitol Village, Santa Cruz, Aptos, etc.

2 Thank FCT3
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip and was very impressed. I usually don't stay at Fairfields since they kind of fall into the low end but this one was new. If this is how the new Fairfields will look, thats a great thing. The place was only open for 4 days so I was the first to stay in the room, it was very upscale and the bed was great. My only complaint was the wrapped plastic cups made in China!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Travelalot31310
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
BEST WESTERN PLUS Capitola By-the-Sea Inn & Suites
Rio Sands Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
BEST WESTERN Seacliff Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola? Share your experiences!