“BEST SNOW ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!!”

Niseko Village Ski Resort
Ranked #2 of 33 things to do in Niseko-cho
Sydney, Australia
174 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“BEST SNOW ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!!”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I've been snowboarding in parts of the world, but nothing beats Niseko, the snow is so powdery that falling down is. There's four great snow fields to choose from and theyre all fantastic. Can't wait to go back

4 Thank ash_skywalker10

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“The Best snow I have experienced anywhere”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I just loved this place, by far and away the best snow, facilities and relaxed friendly atmosphere compared with anywhere else I have ever been. Travelled with a group of nine and including my son who had never skied before. We had a fantastic time and there are slopes for every level of skier, even from the top of the mountain. We had researched the place and yes it is very cold, but it is a dry cold so it doesn't feel like the -20 it is. We kitted up for this and it wasn't a problem. Stayed in the Gondola Chalets 300m from the main gondola and all the ski rental equipment was on site so if you boots or skis were quiet to your liking it was easy to change them.

3 Thank Chris H
Mililani, Hawaii
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great snow”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is the best snow I've experienced through all my years of skiing since '81. Better than any resort west of the rockies of North America, Canadian and American. Dry and fluffy, not the least bit icy at all. Although the trails were not very long, I'll take that anytime over icy conditions. You haven't had good snow till you glide down the runs of northern Japan.

1 Thank Bumpbo
Brisbane
594 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 212 helpful votes
“Of the 4 linked resorts, this one is ordinary”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The runs from the Gondola are limited, and ordinary compared to Annupuri, Grand Hirafu and Hanazono. The bubble gondola from the Hilton is deadly slow and very small. Anyone large will struggle if sharing a seat. Exit from the Gondola required a long trudge to the right to cross over to Hirafu, or left down to the Wonderland chair to get higher to avoid walking.

Green Leaf looked fine, and we tried the Onsen which was indoor outdoor and pleasant, but lacking a cold water pool to truly work the muscles vs the hot baths.

The NV area was quieter than the other 3, likely due to the lesser accom, but also due to the lesser offering. If you don't have a choice to stay in Upper Hirafu, then this would be fine, but limited access there for food & nightlife, so make use of the regular free shuttle to get out of NV to visit elsewhere

Visited March 2014
3 Thank codym481
Sydney, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Lots of powder, lots of tourists.”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Niseko was great, but i preferred the other Japanese ski resort we went to. To elaborate:

Niseko is known for it's powder snow. That's its thing, and it's excellent. It is frequently snowing in Niseko and as such, visibility can be mean and it can get incredibly cold. We were lucky - on the day we were there it was sunny, with no wind, and it was about -15 deg C. Just be prepared for the cold if you're coming here. When the clouds do part, the views are stunning, so bring a camera!

My greatest disappointment at Niseko was that a number of the beginner and intermediate runs (green runs, and some of the red/blue runs) were ridiculously flat. I'm a snowboarder, so for me, this was a nightmare. Not only were they extremely flat but they were also quite long. I spent a lot of time unstrapping from my board and walking. In my view, Niseko is simply not a place to go if you are a new or developing snowboarder - there is no variety of good slopes to learn on.

The other thing about Niseko was the amount of tourism. It just didn't feel as authentic as any other place we visited in Japan. The majority of people we saw around Niseko were Australians - even more than the locals. This isn't a bad thing, it just wasn't what i expected, and if you're looking for a "Japanese experience", this isn't the place for you.

In summary, the snow is great but the slopes were average for a learning snowboarder, and it lacked the atmosphere of other Japanese slopes.

3 Thank MysteryGuest70