“Of the 4 linked resorts, this one is ordinary”

Niseko Village Ski Resort
Ranked #2 of 35 things to do in Niseko-cho
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The runs from the Gondola are limited, and ordinary compared to Annupuri, Grand Hirafu and Hanazono. The bubble gondola from the Hilton is deadly slow and very small. Anyone large will struggle if sharing a seat. Exit from the Gondola required a long trudge to the right to cross over to Hirafu, or left down to the Wonderland chair to get higher to avoid walking.

Green Leaf looked fine, and we tried the Onsen which was indoor outdoor and pleasant, but lacking a cold water pool to truly work the muscles vs the hot baths.

The NV area was quieter than the other 3, likely due to the lesser accom, but also due to the lesser offering. If you don't have a choice to stay in Upper Hirafu, then this would be fine, but limited access there for food & nightlife, so make use of the regular free shuttle to get out of NV to visit elsewhere

3  Thank CodyMav
There are newer reviews for Niseko Village Ski Resort

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Niseko was great, but i preferred the other Japanese ski resort we went to. To elaborate:

Niseko is known for it's powder snow. That's its thing, and it's excellent. It is frequently snowing in Niseko and as such, visibility can be mean and it can get incredibly cold. We were lucky - on the day we were there it was sunny, with no wind, and it was about -15 deg C. Just be prepared for the cold if you're coming here. When the clouds do part, the views are stunning, so bring a camera!

My greatest disappointment at Niseko was that a number of the beginner and intermediate runs (green runs, and some of the red/blue runs) were ridiculously flat. I'm a snowboarder, so for me, this was a nightmare. Not only were they extremely flat but they were also quite long. I spent a lot of time unstrapping from my board and walking. In my view, Niseko is simply not a place to go if you are a new or developing snowboarder - there is no variety of good slopes to learn on.

The other thing about Niseko was the amount of tourism. It just didn't feel as authentic as any other place we visited in Japan. The majority of people we saw around Niseko were Australians - even more than the locals. This isn't a bad thing, it just wasn't what i expected, and if you're looking for a "Japanese experience", this isn't the place for you.

In summary, the snow is great but the slopes were average for a learning snowboarder, and it lacked the atmosphere of other Japanese slopes.

3  Thank MysteryGuest70
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Niseko is a beautiful place but I don't find it authentic. Almost everything is ran by Australian and sounded/made/designed for Australian. It feels more like going to Australia than going to Japan. Nothing is wrong with that just if you want a true authentic place with true Japanese culture, skip Niseko. The good thing is if you are an English speaker this place will be convenience for you.

3  Thank AnimaBella
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Green Leaf NV, this is my second stay. I m considering of coming back in 2015. The mountain is so huge theres so much to do, contrary to some reviews, if you have the United Niseko Lift pass, this entitles you access to four resorts including Hirafu, Hazone, NV and the one next to NV.
Theres absolutely heaps of runs to do here.. including some extremely steep runs. Theres challenges to be had if you seek it.

Its a bit different to what I am use to compared to Perisher in NSW, Australia Having a Gondala to the top of the slope is simply a luxury to have.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

This makes a huge difference in your ski experience. People go there for exactly that - the powder snow!

We've been to Niseko Village 2 years in a row and still loving it! The entire ski experience is amazing from accommodation, skiing to food.

I have been booking my accommodation through www.holidayniseko.com, renting Shiki & Koyuki and we love the place and the service from agent! It comes with a vehicle and is perfect for us who enjoy heading down to Kutchan (10-15 mins drive on icy roads) for our groceries (MaxValu or Co-op) or our favourite sushi restaurant (Yoteimaru).

Since we have been skiing in Japan for the last 4 consecutive years, this is our favourite spot. Even though it is getting a little crowded because of its popularity, we still find it an ideal holiday vacation. The village is … a village feel, lack of a better word. Generally, people are friendly and helpful.

We've taken a day off from skiing and driven to Otaru. It was a nice couple of hours drive - totally mesmerised by the scenic route.

One common comment is it takes forever to reach Niseko - which is fair, but I assure it's all worthwhile when you arrive.

1st tip: We find less tiring to arrive in the earlier part of the day as we can unwind from the long travel before we hit the slopes the next day. Or, if your flight arrives at New Chitose Airport by afternoon, then it's probably not a bad idea to stay over a night at New Chitose before you hit the road again the next morning.

2nd tip: We also found towards the end of the trip, instead of going home straight from the slopes, we've taken 2-3 days off in Sapporo to unwind. We find that that also helps in recuperating from our ski vacation which is about 6-7 days of skiing.

This is just our experience so far. I am sure there are many other great ideas and tips to share to make the whole trip an unforgettable and wonderful experience!

8  Thank CatChinTan