“Highlight of my trip to Japan”
Review of Matsushiroya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nagiso-machi
Matsushiroya
Melbourne, Australia
“Highlight of my trip to Japan”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

So glad my friend insisted we come and stay at a traditional ryokan and whilst I was a little nervous, I really loved the experience. It was a welcome respite from the hubub of osaka, tokyo and millions of people. I was forced a little out of my comfort zone, which was fine and the feast that was included at dinner and breakfast was immense (if a little late at breakfast time)-(and a little awkward if you're not that great at sitting on the floor - but definitely oput of the usual for a westerner. Tsumago is a quite little town and there isn't much to do. If going again I would do the hike from Magome and a few long walks. If you are used to staying up late and chatting this probably aint for you and I fear my snoring probably disrupted other guests (you do hear everything). Particularly enjoyed reading the guest book (pic attached) some amazing stories people write when they are left to refect for a few hours. Loved it.

Room Tip: Could be a little much if it was very full.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank argonaut64

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stayed here recently and was underwhelmed. We paid 21,000 for a room for two, or about $230. I understand that the place is historic and old, etc. etc. However, I've also stayed at ryokans before. Generally the dividers seperating the rooms are of a more cardboard-y material. At Matsushiroya they used this sort of material for the closet doors, but then had the walls between rooms are made of actual paper.

This may seem cute and quaint until you have a Japanese family in the next room talking at full volume until midnight and then farting and coughing all night (yes, you can hear) and then waking up at 5am again at full volume. However beautiful this place was, it was not worth getting no sleep! I understand that this is how the house is built, but I think it's the staff's responsibility to remind guests that the walls are made of paper and that they should lower their voices accordingly. Most people already know this, but not this family and the staff would not say anything to them.

The dinner and breakfast was plentiful, but not very good. I got the sense that the only man I saw working was doing everything, and it's just too much work for one person to do well. By the time food came out to us it was already cold because he had been passing out everyone else's. He was really, really nice, but overall I didn't think this was great value for money. Would have been fine for half the price, but not at 10k a person.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank fersure
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 28, 2007

OK, so you've come to Tsumago to walk the highway and experience "old Japan", right? Well, Matsushiro-ya is a great place to do it. It's not fancy, it's not high on amenities, but what it does have is an incredibly authentic atmosphere, and the perfect location. There's a reason why so many of the photos of Tsumago have Matsushiro-ya in them.
We spent one night, enjoyed the food and the wooden bath but most of all just enjoyed the "feel" of the (very old) place. If you're looking for high comfort and pampering, you should probably look elsewhere (like Kyoto!), but for a unique and memorable experience in Tsumago this is the place to be.
Photos of Tsumago coming soon on Flickr (same user name).

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank thisyearsboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nagiso-machi
Hotel Route Inn Nakatsugawa Inter
#1 of 15 in Nakatsugawa
Tajimaya
Tajimaya
#1 of 16 in Nakatsugawa

Been to Matsushiroya? Share your experiences!