Amankora Paro
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
All reviewsaman experiencegross national happinesslocal costumepine needlesold fortresstiger's nestresident managerlodge managerprayer flagssmall streamtwo storeythe entire tripliving roommemorable experienceamazing resortfirst stopspa treatments
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We finished are bhutanese trip in Paro: probably the best place, for many reasons. The hotel is not a surprise: the property is in the usual Zen style of the Aman resorts, the setting of the room is strictly identical to the previous ones, the service of the same quality, but you get, as you fly in Bhutan, the bhutanese atmosphere without being obliged to travel on the risky roads. You can get there the usual trekking places, the same monasteries and ....Consequently a short stay in Bhutan should be spent mostly in the Paro valley
The hotel is quite superb. Sitting in the living room, reading one of the many books of the library, watching the mountains is quite relaxing. The food is quite good, with a selection of a western style set menu and a bhutanese menu. The SPA is gorgeous. Everything to make your stay most enjoyable is there

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DANIEL L
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Amankora Paro is the largest of the Amankora lodges in Bhutan and lacks the intimacy and tranquility of the other lodges. For that reason, it was my least favorite of the lodges. Our visit was also marred by a large group of Swiss Germans (German Swiss?) who traveled in a pack, so that we had to dodge out of their way whenever they barreled their way by; who reserved most of a table for dinner, and then failed to show up for hours, so that other smaller groups had to break apart in order to dine; and who made so much noise in the lounge/lobby that we left in disgust. This demonstrates one possible disadvantage of the Amankora resorts: If other guests are considerate and well-mannered, the stay is enjoyable but if a group is not, there is nowhere to go to escape in the evening other than one's room. The Amankora Paro is a long and bumpy ride from town, due to major repair of the road. On the plus side, the view from the lounge/lobby is beautiful and the food was good.

The Tiger's Nest was spectacular and not as difficult as we'd been led to believe. It took us under 90 minutes to get to the 700 steps and that was with plenty of stops to take photos and admire the views. Start early to avoid the crowds, ponies, and heat: 7:15 a.m. or earlier.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alaskatravel1234
Reviewed September 22, 2013

There’s a lot to recommend Paro; the strenuous day hike up to 3800 m to camp under Bumdra Monastery being one. The knee-knackering hike down, passing the Tiger’s Nest temple complex, is certainly another. (You can walk up to Tiger’s Nest and back in a day, if you don’t fancy camping for the night. But, whatever you decide, do invest in some walking poles before you come.) There is also cycling on the lodge’s very nice new mountain bikes and some wonderful temples, monasteries and nunneries to visit.

This was the last of the five Amankora properties in which we stayed during our 15 days in Bhutan. I’m sorry to say that it was my least favourite of the Aman lodges. The service in the lounge was very slow in the afternoons (in the other lodges there was a invisible presence than suddenly appeared as soon as your looked like you needed anything). And the WiFi didn’t work. I didn’t like the dining room much, either; four long tables and rather uncertain levels of service, with people in our party of four being served with the wrong orders.

That said, the washing service was the fastest I have ever encountered and I had one of my best massages in a long while (ask for Gyelmo!) in the wonderful spa. Also, ask the manager for a firepit dinner, which was a lovely (and a very smoke-free, warm) experience, even if the service was rather shambolic.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mark121
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed in four of the five Amans in Bhutan during our 9-night trip. Aman Paro has a sublime location in a forest, and several small streams run through the property. Amazingly lovely.

From the Aman we did a two-day, one-night trek (the Bumdra trek), which was recommended by our guide, Tshering Dorji (tsheringbhutan@gmail.com, see my Gangtey review for more about him). It was the highlight of our trip to Bhutan. The trek is strenuous so you need to be in good shape or willing to take it very slowly--the campsite is over 13,000 ft elevation. As organized by the Aman resort this is glam camping, with tents and cots and a shower tent, rugs on the tent floors, and everything hauled up by donkeys and ponies. They even rolled out a small rug for us to sit on when we stopped for lunch.

When my husband and I arrived at camp we rested for an hour and then went up higher to where they do sky burials, and that was a challenging climb, but wonderful. The weather started to deteriorate as we climbed and by the time we started down it was hailing, and that evening the camp was covered in snow, and the wind blew like crazy. Luckily everything calmed down by 9 pm and the next morning the storm had blown away the haze and we were treated to a spectacular dawn with the Himalaya all around us. Wow, wow, wow.

We visited the tiny temple near the campsite (my favorite temple in all Bhutan, small and a view to die for), and then hiked down to the Tiger's Nest. This route gives you views of the temple you wouldn't otherwise see, and it's nice to be going down while everyone else in struggling up!

My husband and I plan to return to Bhutan and trek!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Traveller32810
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was truly blown away by Amankora when I arrived at the hotel. Firstly, I had to take a litte walk from the drop-off point through the woods, before I arrived at the hotel and was greeted by staff waiting for my group with cold towels. That was the start of the Aman experience, one that I subsequenly realised was the trademark of the international hotel chain. Secondly, the rooms were exquisite and were all fanned around the property, giving guests an exclusive feel when they checked into their rooms. The bath tub in the room was a brilliant touch, and guests could ask the hotel staff for bath salts, should you decide to take a soak to rest your tired muscles after a long day of trekking. The bed was wonderful and I had a good night rest. Pity about the short stay though, I do wish I had more time to spend in the resort. At a cost of US$1,600 per night, the Amankora is definitely not cheap but worth considering if you opt for that exclusivity touch.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd-number room. The even-numbers are located on the second storey of each villa block and if you're carrying heavy bags, go for the odd-number rooms on the ground-floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends