COMO Uma Paro, Bhutan
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$249
$75
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbedroom villapersonal butlermassage roombutler servicevalley view roomyoga studioarchery lessonstiger's nestsister propertyginger teaan incredible experiencehot stone bath and massageheated poolamazing countrygreat spalarge bedroomthe hotel manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 12, 2007

Once you are in Bhutan, there are not many options for good Hotels, after Aman resorts Uma is the best option available in Paro........ There is nothing else in Bhutan like UMA..... (After Aman Resorts). We had a very good time. The breakfast and dinner options are very good.... Note that in Bhutan food is no good but at Uma food was not a problem... Very nice hotel!!! Strongly recommended.,

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2007

We stayed at Uma in March and it was a delightful experience. The service was extremely professional. The general manager, John Halpin, was particularly courteous and ensured that everything was running efficiently. Our guides were informative and attentive. Contrary to other posts, we did not find the superior rooms too small. The only thing downside was the food at the hotel - a hit or miss. Often meals were slightly too heavy with overly complicated juxtapositions of strange, if not contrasting ingredients. That being said, it might be better to be slightly more adventurous and venture to other local dining venues. We highly recommend this hotel to others interested in staying a Uma Paro.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dantigone77
Reviewed March 2, 2007

We spent three nights here and really enjoyed our stay. It is expensive but Bhutan as a whole is expensive due to the government charges. However we still thought it was worth it.

Really helpful and friendly staff without the pretensions that you often find in trendy boutique hotels, good food and a great spa. Pool was fully open and rarely used so I enjoyed having it all to myself.

Didn't stay in a villa so can't comment on those.

Haven't stayed at the Aman in Paro so don't know how this compares but it is head and shoulders above the other places we stayed in Bhutan (Jomolhari in Thimphu and the Meri Puensum in Punakha).

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EEB
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I didn't know what to expect in Bhutan but it definitely wasn't the Uma Paro. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and a lot of nice ones but this so far exceeds anything I've ever visited. The staff was extremely friendly. Immensely helpful and accomodating. They are also very sweet and friendly. I arranged my trip through the hotel so upon arrival I was assigned a guide, Yarub, and a driver, Karma, -- both were fabulous. My guide not only knew everything about the history, the flora and fauna, the culture, the religion, the landmarks, he also was very helpful when I couldn't figure out my camera or my bag seemed very heavy. The hikes were a bit of a chore but I know there were options for people not interested in a good walk up hill. Either way the sites to be seen from the top were unparalleled. Monasteries seemingly growing out of rocks, a waterfall, a 16th century watch tower, views of the villages and farmlands. Unbelieveable. The spa was a delight. Babita and Sonum at the front desk wrangled therapist schedules to accomodate mine and Tom was the best massage therapist I've ever had. Christina led the yoga classes -- including one every morning on breathing and light stretching (no experience required). My room had a small balcony overlooking the town and the local environs. I was able to keep the door open at night to peace and quiet and a sweet breeze. Both the morning maid service and evening turndown went far beyond standard service. Every little nit and nat was picked up, organized, folded, rearranged, discarded, whatever. My pill boxes were lined up like a little army. In short, I didn't expect to go to a "least developed" country and receive the best service and best pampering of my life. I strongly and enthusiastically recommend Uma Paro and Bhutan.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank SophyLu
Reviewed March 24, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Uma Paro on March, 06 and found the hotel's service and room accomodation to be consistent with a 5 star hotel. We were greeted with a cold towel and a cup of spiced tea. We were then led to our room and given the usual room orientation and a brief summary of what was available to us in the hotel. The only potential negative feedback for some guests (not for us) might be that the size of the room is smaller than Zhiwa Ling and Aman Paro. The room in Aman Paro is the best out of the three hotels. The breakfast/dining room has a better ambience and significantly better service than Zhiwa Ling (we stayed one night). Aman Paro has a cafeteria-like sitting arrangement when we were given a tour of the hotel by management. At Uma Paro, we met the general manager when we were having dinner at the hotel. To our surprise, we even received a thank you letter from him when we came back home. If I have to choose between Uma Paro and Zhiwa Ling in the next few months, I would go back to Uma Paro for their attention to detail when it comes to service. However, I would encourage anybody staying at Uma Paro to have lunch and visit Zhiwa Ling as the architecture is unique (look at their website under Yangphel Tours-local owners of Zhiwa Ling and Dewachen Hotel in Gangtey). In Zhiwa Ling's defense, it is a new hotel and I am confident that their service will improve over time. Aman Paro is a notch above Uma Paro and Zhiwa Ling and should be considered by guests who will typically do a half day excursion and spend the other half lounging in their hotel room. A final note on Uma Paro, a copy of the world's biggest published book about Bhutan (of course) is located in their library in addition to being in the National Library. The advantage of looking at it at Uma Paro is that you can actually browse through the entire book by wearing gloves as opposed to looking at the book at a distance. For those interested, we booked our private tour with Sakten Tours directly and will recommend them to friends as well.

• Stayed: March 2006