“Poor Customer Sevice” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Poor Customer Sevice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family and I arrived at the hotel at midnight to see about renting a room for the night. The hotel desk clerk showed us a room that had a jacuzzi tub in it being that we requested one after traveling all day and we needed to relax. After showing my husband the room we agreed to rent the room for the 100.00 fee give or take. When we had got to our room my 15 yr old had to use the restroom. When she had gotten out I went in to look at the tub to make sure it was what he had said it would be. To my surprise it wasn't! it was an average tub with mildew around the rim and a broken towel rack. I believe rm # 111 not sure, anyway we asked the front desk clerk to come in the room and see what we are seeing and explained to him that he showed us a different room and that this wasn't except able. He argued with my husband saying that every room had the same tub and that he couldn't re rent the room due to the fact that my daughter used the restroom. I told him that wasn't my problem that he in fact showed us a jacuzzi tub and that the room was already dirty due to the mold issue and broken towel rack. My husband had him take him to the room he showed him, to show the clerk what the difference in the rooms were. After much arguing the clerk changed rooms and gave us rm # 114 I think. When he changed our rooms he told us that we better not destroy anything or we wouldn't get our deposit back and he told us we had better be quiet because the next rm over had a 4am wake up call. He made us feel like we were white trash and like a piece of crap. We are not dirty people and we do not destroy places. I used to have my own house cleaning business and I know what clean is and what people have to do upon check outs. I am now a grocery store manager and run a efficient store and a clean one at that! I have never encountered such rude customer service as I did in this hotel. If I treated my customers the way your staff treated us I would be out of business.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
carlylehotelcampbell, Webmaster at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. We are sorry for the bad experience you had.

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• Desk clerk received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guest.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with Jacuzzi tub and instructed to see to the necessary repairs and replacements.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I didn't really have much of a choice as other hotels in the area were booked. After reading travel reviews I had mixed feelings but once I got there it was fine. There is a covered parking garage and an elevator to the lobby and second floor. The doors are all interior which was huge for me for security. The hotel is older so things are not perfect but clean and comfortable. The selection of items for breakfast in the morning was average but good enough. I think the price was fair for the stay. I would be fine staying there again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 2nd floor on the other side of the hall from the elevator. These rooms are qui...
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stay here. I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews, but I was surprised. It was comfortable and close to were I needed to be. The hotel had a great breakfast in the morning and underground parking witch was great. Room was comfortable and clean. Will be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Marina S
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

Rundown and overpriced, this motel is easy to miss right next to a freeway on-ramp. The list of things that didn't work is huge: a dangling lightbulb, inoperable remote control, etc. The breakfast was balloon bread, coffee with CoffeeMate creamer, a few apples, some forgettable mini pastries...It was near a few fast food places, though. Buyer beware!

Room Tip: Though I asked for a room away from the ice machine, it still sounded as though I was near an airpla...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank msclavel
, Webmaster at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of the dangling lightbulb and the irreparable remote control in the room assigned to you. They were also informed that you had said there were other things that were not working in that room and they were instructed to look into any needed repairs or replacements.

• Breakfast staff received additional instruction in presenting a proper breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

vashon, wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

This was our second and last stay at the Carlyle Hotel. The desk clerk had the warmth of a frozen pea and made us feel like we were inconviencing her when we checked in. I had specified a handicaped room when I booked online. She argued that I hadn't...however it was clearly written out in the confirmation I'd shown her a copy of. We were given a room on the 2nd floor at the very oposite end of the elevator..a challenge for me with mobility issues. Upon entering the room it smelled stale, and a dead spider was found on the bathroom floor. The beds were most uncomfortable. The window had no screen and could not be locked. Several lightbulbs were out, two in the bathroom and one at the writing desk. The room felt like a funhouse...all the doors swung to the left, and the cabinet that the refridgerator was in leaned at an awkward angle. The hallways reeked of cigarettes and pot. Skip the complimentary breakfast..no fresh fruit & spoiled milk. (we opted for Starbucks next door) My husband went down to ask about late checkout..waited at the desk 5 minutes as no one was there. As he started to leave the desk clerk appeared out of nowhere and asked rudely "what's the problem?"..The place had a draconian feel, peeling wallpaper, dirty and stained carpets and the stench of cigarettes and pot was overwhelming. The underground parking left a lot to be desired, cramped, dirty and didn't feel secure. With a little update and attention to detail, this place could be charming and customer relations classes for the cranky front desk clerk is a must. Until then it is off our radar.

Room Tip: bring your lysol and noseplugs
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
carlylehotelcampbell, Webmaster at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• The desk clerk received additional training in the courteous manner in which you, our valued guest, are to be treated.

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employee.

• Management was approached about a system being set up that would clearly show registrations.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

• Maintenance was informed of the window in the room assigned to you that had no screen and couldn’t be locked and the light bulbs that needed to be replaced and was instructed to see to the necessary repair or replacement.

• Management was approached about your feeling of insecurity in the parking garage and it was discussed what could be done to make the area feel more secure.

San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

My husband and I went to this hotel on a Friday evening because we were going to spend the night while our home was being worked on but decided NOT TO STAY THERE.
As we entered the place looked pretty nice, the lady in the front desk greeted us and we booked a room, she gave us the keys, as we head to the elevator and we were inside the elevator there was a strong cigarette smell. As we get out the elevator, the smell gets worse, we entered the room, the door was missing the safety chain with lock because it had been riped off along with the piece of the door. to our suprise she had given us only one full bed and we had a 6 year old so I called the front desk and the lady told me to wait there she was coming up with another key for another room so we did, as soon as she showed up she went to open another room, but the key she had was not the one for that room, by then I was really feeling uncomfortable and unsafe. We asked her about a parking permit of any kind, and she said it's ok you just park there you don't need anything. As soon as she brought the correct key, we entered the room and it was very cold, the heater box was dangling from the wall, she started cursing about the dangling box and she couldn't get it to operate so she said please go with her downstairs and she will give us another room, by that time we just told her never mind we need a refund we don't feel good nor safe staying here, and she said why? you will have a nice room, and I said no just please refund my money and we'll leave.

Room Tip: terrible and dirty rooms with smell like cigarette do not recommend.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
carlylehotelcampbell, Webmaster at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent attempt to stay at Carlyle Hotel. I am sorry that circumstances were such that it didn’t work out. I hope that the work done on your home, came out exactly as you planned.

• The lady working at the front desk received additional training in a system to correctly identify the keys to each room. She also received additional training concerning the proper language to be using as our employee, swearing is not appropriate.

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you reported with the rooms you were shown and instructed to look into any necessary repairs.

• Management was approached about the possibility of making our valued guests feel more secure about leaving their cars in the parking lot.

We take our reviews very seriously. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

new carpet, good breakfast, eggs, hashbrown, sausages, waffles,
clean room, quiet, nice bed, paid a little over $100 but worth it, easy on-off fwy

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business