“ICE COLD NO HEAT! AND very rude employees!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carlyle Hotel

Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
California
“ICE COLD NO HEAT! AND very rude employees!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2008

The front desk reservations were not friendly on the phone. Online they had a king bed room available on every site I checked and even booked one with my credit card (its supposed to guarantee the room!) then when I called after booking they told me they only have a two double bed room that costs more! They acted like I was a jerk for not believing this info and did not once apologize. The room with two double beds that we got was ICE COLD FREEZING INSIDE. After two hours and the heater was still blowing cold air I went to the front desk. He immediately said I was wrong, the heater does work! I was treated like an irrational female and a liar. I had him come in the room and I saw him move the dial on the thermostat and claim I had it on the wrong setting, which was totally a lie on his part. I said I cant be in that room, he just argued with me. I went back after 15 minutes on his so called setting of the thermostat and told him it was still cold and I was by then sniffling and feeling like I was catching the flu. He said there are no other rooms (though the scary deserted underground parking garage was almost empty! makes you wonder how the hotel could be full) and that he could not get a hold of the manager. He did not even try. I told him I need to get my money back because I could not stay there. He said that he could not credit my c.c. and I could call the manager in the morning. He didn't even offer to get more blankets. I have never been treated so rudely. Also, the sliding glass door was not latching 100% and some air was coming in, it looked very unsafe out there on the first floor, right next door to a fast food place. The pillows did not smell fresh, mystery "stains" on the comforter, the sheets made me itch, the lamp had a broken switch making it almost impossible to turn on, the bathroom tiles and shower walls had mold...I don't know if I will get my money back but will update when I find out. I felt blackmailed into staying. A very bad experience. If you are a female don't go into the garage alone, it does not feel safe!

• Liked — nothing comes to mind
  • Disliked — rude customer service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cateis
sammy064, Manager at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2008
Guest Called directly and was told that the only rooms we have available was Non-Smoking 2 Beds. She said that the Internet had a king bed available. I told that we don't have King available and that if she will book through the internet it will still be put in to Non smoking 2 beds. She was warned about this, yet she still decided to book through the internet.

Guest checked in at 7:45 pm and said to the front desk that she was renting room for a friend that she wasn't even going to stay in the room. The reservation that came in was made for 1 person. Front desk person showed her the room and she said it was okay with the room. She was also told that whom ever is going to stay in the room must come to the front desk and show his ID. The gentleman that the room was rented for came by the desk.

2 hours later the Lady came by and said she wanted a refund because the heat wasn't working.

Front desk went into the room and saw that the heating unit was set on fan and not heat. He switched it over to heat and told the guest give it a few minutes to warm up. Guest still wanted refund. We told her that she wasn't going to get a refund.

The lady left the hotel, and the gentleman stayed in the room. No complaints came from the gentleman.

The gentleman checked out at 9:15am and handed the keys in. I went into the room and the room was very warm. The heating was still on and working fine.

Lady called at 9:30am and starting complaining how she had to leave the room because it was to cold. She said she caught a cold from staying in the room. A room she stayed in for only 2 hours. She was told that no refund can be issued.
She also said when she rented the room that she was renting the room for her boyfriend and she wasn't even going to stay in the room.

She started to threaten me by saying that she was going to call the police and BBB. She said she was going to put bad reviews all over the Internet if she didn't get a full refund. I had told her that it felt as if she was threatening me into giving her a free room. At that point I couldn't do or say anything to her except you can do want you, but I can't issue a refund. She said you rather me go to the police or BBB and file complaint then give me a refund.

Basically the guest checked at 7:45pm renting the room for a boyfriend, used the room for 2 hours. Then she asked for a refund. She left the room and the gentleman stay in the room for the rest of the night. Guest was trying to get a free room without a valid reason. Everything was working in the room.

I am sorry she felt mistreated....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2007

The wifi works, the breakfast is good. The bed is fine, the carpet is stained but clearly has been cleaned, there are some oogies that could be fixed but nothing as horrifying as some of these reviews have led it to be. It's a clean place, free parking and wifi, within easy reach of area companies such as eBay for a very affordable fee. An easy, quiet, private hotel for the budget-aware business traveler. I'd stay again.

• Liked — Inexpensive, good location for my needs, free wifi, free breakfast
  • Disliked — underground parking makes it a little worrisome for single travelers.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

We had a great experience at the Carlyle Hotel when we were there. I had read some of the previous negative reviews, but was very impressed with the hotel.

It was close to a Freeway, but was very quiet.

A great deal for the money! We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2007
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2007

Wow and double wow at the shape of the carpet in BOTH the rooms we stayed in (yeah we tried to cancel but...) Look at the pictures.

1st room had a horrible saggy bed. The carpet had not just stains, but, you know, stuff?? We only got it together enough to cancel for one of the next two nights so...

2nd room--double ick on the carpet...wow. Maybe it's just the smoking rooms I think. They just get trashed so they blow off really cleaning them. No remote. No clock. No hairdryer. I think they got ripped off and oh...it's a smoking room so don't worry about it.

The rest of the place was pretty clean. The girl at the front desk was already blowing us off because we didn't want the room, but there was nothing she could do (?) even though there was a guy in there with us at the time begging for a room.
Breakfast started late but was pretty good.

Sorry, they get a 1 from me. It's too bad because the rooms are good sized and could be very pleasant.

Stayed June 2007
carlylehotelcampbell, Webmaster at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. They also received instruction concerning the rooms being properly equip with remote, clock, hairdryer and such before being reported as being ready for occupancy.

• Management and staff were approached about making the rooms more pleasant for occupancy.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Marin County
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

Problems at a glance: Our room had no toilet seat, we couldn't take a bath because drain plug mechanism in the tub didn't work, the room smelled musty, wallpaper was peeling off wall, dust bunnies in the corners, no washcloths, or hand towels, rear patio filthy and strewn with junk, ie: old lumber, cigarette butts, and empty coffee cups, etc.

To it's credit: Part of the package features a very marginal breakfast.

What's going on ?: This is what I suspect happened: someone took a very so-so location and dreamed of making a nice hotel out of it but some where along the line ran out of money, the property was sold and the new owners are running a very low budget operation doing minimal upkeep on the property.

There are absolutely no amenities, no pool, no hot tub, no gym, and as previously mentioned the rooms, and this wasn't just us, we had family members staying there too, came with two bath towels only, and in both cases when we asked for additional towels, and hand towels the response was "I'll have to see if we have any."

Additionally they do not have rollaways, or cribs.

The decor is extremely tacky almost to the point of being funny, think turn of the century brothel, lot's of fake gold gilt, brass, and dark woods accentuated with reds, and not one but two life size faux marble statues of naked women in the lobby. The cheese factor is off the charts.

I can excuse a lot of things in a hotel but we did pay $100 bucks for a king bed, so it's not like it's Motel 6 for 29.95 (which as it happens is next door) but not the lack of basic amenities that all hotels should have which includes basic linen service, and toilets with toilet seats.

And this isn't even trying to be critical, the linens they do provide are very low quality, the bed had the cheap beige foam blanket, nothing outside of basic cable on the T.V., no clock in the room ? I mean what's a digital clock at Costco these days ? $8.00 ?

In closing the cleanliness issues are unacceptable, the garbage strewn back patio, the room not properly cleaned, etc. It just shows a basic lack of respect for the customer.

No frills is one thing, but dirty is another. I would avoid the Carlyle at all costs, this is a poorly run property in decline.

Stayed September 2007
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping staff received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of the missing toilet seat and the non-working drain plug mechanism in the bathroom of the room assigned to you and instructed to see to the necessary repairs.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

I stayed here for several days for business. It was sort of creepy. As a female business traveler, I am particularly conscious of safety. There was an old concrete patio outside my window that ran along the side of the building. That, combined with the under building parking, made me somewhat nervous.
The rooms needed a little painting and upkeep.
The traffic merging onto the highway a half block away makes it hard to get out of the parking garage.
The one plus is that there is a Starbucks across the street .
The staff was nice.
OK, if you are not traveling alone and are looking for a cheap deal.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank CarryonBag78
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you said that you found our staff to be nice, that is always nice to hear.

• Management was approached about ways in which our valued guests could feel better about security measures taken.

• Staff members received our commendation for the courteous, friendly way in which they treated you, our valued guest.

I hope that the next time you are in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be very pleased.

Honolulu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2007

We had quite a different (more positive) experience staying here than the previous reviewer.

We (party of 3) stayed here on February 15 & 16 & on the 21st. Both rooms were on the second floor (we requested this when making the reservation because I am sensitive to noise) & had a single king bed. Both rooms were very clean and well maintained and were equipped with refrigerator, coffee maker, TV, hair dryer, iron/ironing board, air conditioner/heater with remote thermostat, a lounge chair with ottoman, a small table with two wood chairs w/ fabric padding, 4 table lamps, and a small alarm clock. One of the rooms had a jacuzzi bath & hot water dispenser. They provide shampoo, soap, and skin lotion/moisturizer (not all places provide this nowdays).

Just a comment about the air conditioner/heater: it was a much quieter unit than the loud through-the-wall units that are found in cheaper lodgings. I had no problems sleeping here.

The breakfast included sliced canteloup & watermelon, scrambled eggs, hash brown cakes, breakfast sausage, dry cereals, muffins, bread, bagels, fruit juices, milk, coffee (reg & decaf). There was also a basket containing oranges and apples. Breakfast was from 6 to 9:30 on weekdays and 6:30 to 10 am on weekends.

A Dell computer with Lexmark inkjet printer was available for free use in the lobby next to the office counter.

Parking is covered at the ground level beneath the hotel, and the elevator takes you directly there. The building is only two stories and is a relatively small one. There is no shuttle to the San Jose airport but it is a very short and convenient drive to get there from this hotel.

We paid $94 per room per night & I thought it was a great deal. I'd have no reservations about staying here again.

• Liked — Quality of accomodations: cleanliness, furnishings, breakfast, quietness
  • Disliked — easy to miss the hotel entrance the first time
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family