“Pruneyard Plaza Pretty Decent” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Campbell - Pruneyard Plaza

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Campbell - Pruneyard Plaza
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
St. Louis
“Pruneyard Plaza Pretty Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed just one night in a standard king room. The bed was comfy and had plenty of pillows. Much better than the bed we spent the previous four nights sleeping on at my Father In Law's house. The room had a giant bath tub which was a nice touch. They could upgrade the tv's to flat screen (although in the suites they do have flat screens). The dvd player was also a nice touch, where we could actually play our own dvd's since we always bring a portable dvd player with us when we travel. Everything seemed in good condition although a little spruce up wouldn't hurt either. The pool was small and we did take a dip in the hot tub although it could of been a lot hotter than it was. The free Wifi internet access was also a big plus too and if you don't have your own computer they have three computers there for guests' use. Also the location cannot be beat. With El Burro's, Togo's Le Bou, Coldstone, Pizza My Heart, Barnes n' Nobles, etc....all within steps of your hotel room.

So for $126 bucks it was pretty darn good. My husband and I are planning on having our baby shower in San Jose (where we are orginally from) and plan on staying here again as long as we can get a similiar rate and recommending it for anyone else coming from out of town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Greenville, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

We were en route from Yosemite to San Francisco airport & the question was whether to forge into SF or spend a night outside with convenient access to the airport. We decided to spend a night in Campbell CA so that we could visit the Winchester Mystery House & gain easy access to the airport in the early afternoon - & we didn't regret a moment of it.

The hotel is just great - rooms are large, well appointed, very clean & esp with breakfast a huge bargain. I would strongly encourage visitors to consider this property. And after the Winchester Mystery House [which has my MARGINAL recommendation...] do try the WONDERFUL shopping area that is so close at Santana Square...

The Winchester Mystery House is...a sort of a hoot...in the same sense that a House of Horrors is a hoot...but at the price it's not so funny. Sarah Winchester was an heir to the Winchester Rifle fortune & was stricken with conscience over the misery her ancestors' activities had caused. After her husband's death, she consulted a psychic - my husband says that the psychic had ties to the realtors of San Jose CA - who told her that she would be freed of the demons who preyed upon her ancestors if she bought a house & kept building on to it....& on to it...until it was 160 rooms...she was a nut job & her house is a product of her whims...

Admission is $26/pp which is outrageous considering that there is virtually NOTHING of historic interest here, & none of the furnishings were Sarah Winchester's although they are "of the period." The teenage guides recite word for word [complete with gestures] their pat speech...mortifying...I am a museum guide myself & I wanted to shake them & take over the tour. Just awful.

The important thing to remember about the Winchester Mystery House is that it is a sort of hall of mirrors - a fun house. There is little of the museum about it, & it will NEVER rise to that level even though there is such potential to do historical research on the property - which will NEVER happen as it's a money making concern just as it stands as a fun house, even though it includes some beautiful JC Tiffany glass. The fine pieces are all odd man out in the jumble of atrocities that make up most of the house. And the guides are just well-intended teenagers who parrot out a speech they've learned off by heart. I was embarrassed for them until I finally!!! realized that this is NOT a museum - it's a fun house.

In sum - the Pruneyard Plaza is a HUGE success for overnight or business travelers, & the Winchester Mystery House is like 6 Flags over Nowhere...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for over two weeks and can't say enough good things. It is located in a shopping plaza with many, many affordable eateries. There is a Trader Joe's in the plaza and a Whole Foods about a three block walk away. The room was spotless and made so every day by reliable, friendly housekeepers. My room was on the first floor adjoining a parking lot but I noticed little noise and when there was noise it was brief conversation. Some of the staff is quite skilled in customer service and others are not. IF you need help, seek out Abel, Inken, Jazz or Scott. Avoid at all costs....Desiree and Gabriella, they are too quick to say "NO!" and also forgetful in carrying out a promise. I imagine those who wrote about poor customer service had an experience with one of them. The breakfast oatmeal is yummy and there is a selection of breads, fruits, cereals, milk juice and coffee. A great hotel to stay in even though there were those couple of previously mentioned "bumps" on the log. Be sure to hunt down Psycho Donuts & Stacks.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Roseville, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

I agree with other reviews. The hotel is very nice, the rooms are nice and clean and the beds are fine. However, check it seemed very unorganized and the staff does not appear to be very friendly. The cookies they serve on the counter are always gone, and yes, the breakfast buffet is a joke. The food choice is minimal and the worst part is the breakfast room is so dinky you can't even find a seat. We didn't bother waiting in the long lines. So don't count on it for a family breakfast. The pool was small but clean and cozy and we enjoyed the spa. The best part though is the restaurants, the movie theatre which we went to, and of course there is a brewery in Pruneyard which sells their beer to go. We went and got some and took it to our room and watched one of the complementary DVD's one night. The kids liked Coldstone Creamery nearby and that was fun. The purpose of this trip was to visit Santa Cruz. The drive was close and much cheaper to stay in Campbell than Santa Cruz in prime summertime!

Will we return? Yes, overall despite its faults, the cleanliness, and the amenites were ok, and to be able to walk to restaurants, the theatre, stores, etc. Can't beat it. Fantastic location!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New York City area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2009

PruneyYard Plaza has nice rooms, including refrigerators and coffee makers, and good location given that you can walk around outdoor shopping plaza, with restaurants, Barnes & Noble, Trader Joe's. However, the fact that it caters to Silicon Valley business travelers but still charges for wireless access is insane and the "free" continental breakfast is a joke. They have really cut back in recent years and much of the food is actually inedible. But there is a Hobbes in the plaza that has good, quick, inexpensive food. This one is a hard call, many things to recommend it but just something a bit "off" for the high price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

I have stayed here twice and would stay again! The staff is always friendly and courteous. The rooms I have stayed in are very spacious. It is also located within a small outdoor shopping center with lots of restaurants and things to do. Central Campbell is also minutes away.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Sunnyvale, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

For every category where I rate the Pruneyard Plaza as Terrible, it is a rating one notch too high. I wanted to give the Pruneyard Plaza a Big Zero in a few categories here.
If you actually get the room you reserve, it might work out. However, from my experience do not bother trying to reserve here; but if you do, have a Plan B ready.
I reserved one of the fancy suites at Pruneyard Plaza over a month in advance for a special occasion. They offered a special package too so I reserved that.
A couple weeks before the stay, I confirmed the reservation by phone--a request for a suite on an upper floor. Now they tell me that the special package is not available. No matter, our confirmed reservation is for the upper floor suite.
On the day of arrival, after leaving home of course, and on check-in, the Pruneyard Plaza gives us bait and switch--a regular room on the first floor. The suites on the upper floor are all taken and not available. Their booking, reservation and confirmations apparently are meaningless. The room that they gave me a key for...looked clean and standard though. But this is not what we booked, so we handed the key back to find another hotel. At least the front desk let us use their business center internet connection to seek out another hotel elsewhere in town for the night. What a pain.
After this, I wrote to the hotel to file a grievance. The management, Monica (or Maricela?) at [--] left me a phone message. I've called back, leaving messages. About a month later there is no response from the Pruneyard Plaza. My company has been in the Larkspur Premiere Program. But no more, and no thanks.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell
Larkspur Landing Campbell
#8 of 9 in Campbell
Toll House Hotel
Toll House Hotel
#1 of 6 in Los Gatos

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Campbell - Pruneyard Plaza? Share your experiences!